PDA

View Full Version : Vin licence question

Dieselman
May 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hello all,

New to the forum so be gentle :)

I have a quick question about how the licencing system works. I have a 2008 Holden Commodore and am looking at getting into tuning the car myself. The engine is a L98 with the E38 and the tranny is a 6L80E with the T43.

Now when I purchase EFILive it comes with 2 licences. Do I need 1 licence for each controller or will the one licence cover both????

I have searched but I am not sure either way.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Mods can you move this if in the wrong section

gmh308
May 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hello all,

New to the forum so be gentle :)

I have a quick question about how the licencing system works. I have a 2008 Holden Commodore and am looking at getting into tuning the car myself. The engine is a L98 with the E38 and the tranny is a 6L80E with the T43.

Now when I purchase EFILive it comes with 2 licences. Do I need 1 licence for each controller or will the one licence cover both????

I have searched but I am not sure either way.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Mods can you move this if in the wrong section

Welcome Ben.

1 licence for each of ECM/E38 and TCM/T43 = 1 license - 1//2 for ECM 1/2 for TCM. Oops. :)

joecar
May 5th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Each license is good for an ECM/TCM pair.

ScarabEpic22
May 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Welcome Ben.

1 licence for each of ECM/E38 and TCM/T43 = 2 licenses

Well true, but not in the VIN licensing world. EFILive's VIN licenses have 2 "parts" to them, an ECM/PCM part and a seperate TCM part. So even though I have an E67 ECM and a T42 TCM in my TBSS, this is 2 "partial" licenses but just 1 VIN license.

You will only use 1 VIN license to tune both controllers in your car Ben.:grin:

macca_779
May 5th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Well true, but not in the VIN licensing world. EFILive's VIN licenses have 2 "parts" to them, an ECM/PCM part and a seperate TCM part. So even though I have an E67 ECM and a T42 TCM in my TBSS, this is 2 "partial" licenses but just 1 VIN license.

You will only use 1 VIN license to tune both controllers in your car Ben.:grin:

Since when does EFI LIVE give a toss about VIN numbers.. I think your thinking of their competition.

joecar
May 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I think he's just loosely calling it a VIN license.

ScarabEpic22
May 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
If you're talking about me, I was trying to explain that there are 2 parts to 1 VIN license. VIN numbers dont matter at all, you're correct, its licensed based on the serial number of the ECM, PCM, or TCM. But since EFILive calls their V2 licenses a VIN License, I figured I should use that terminology.

For example, I have tuned 7 trucks, only 1 has a TCM (the rest are PCMs). Theoretically I still can tune 6 TCMs for free right now.

Dieselman
May 5th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am glad I asked the question :grin:

I was getting confused but all good now