PDA

View Full Version : Changing AFR

philsz06
May 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I have been doing a few pulls with my 02 Z, SC, cam, LT etc. Under WOT I am seeing a 12.2-11.8 range. I spoke to the company that sent me the tune and they told me to take away .5 under each RPM that needs it. Do they mean do to the PE table under fuel, where it says RPM and take away .5 where it goes lean? I am new to this so please bear with me. Thanks. They said the A/F should be in the 11.3-11.7 range.

mr.prick
May 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
It sounds to me like they meant subtract .5 from the AFR value in the PE table {B3618}. :nixweiss:

swingtan
May 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'd be asking the company you are already dealing with rather than asking on here. The problem is that you have not supplied sufficient information to get a clear answer here so people can only guess.

You could however post both the tune and the log file and then people can get a true understanding of what is going on.

Simon

philsz06
May 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I am going to try to attach the log from the dyno, but we had to shut it down because it was going lean at 4k, wideband was showing 12.4. I tried uploading some things, please let me know if they work. Not even sure if there is anything good from dyno run. Thanks

swingtan
May 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hmm.... would be good if there was a WB plot on that log......

The Injector Duty cycle looks a little low, unless you have installed bigger injectors.

Simon

philsz06
May 6th, 2010, 05:43 PM
ECS SC600 kit
novi 2000 7 psi
blower cam- 220s 580s with a 115, they don't give exact specs
60# injectors
lpe fuel pump
msd boost a pump
lt headers
corsa exhaust
spec 3 clutch

I don't have an exact readout of AF, but dyno dude said that it looked fine until it got to the 4k mark and that is where it went lean. 12.4 with the wideband. when I did WOT street runs, it seemed to stay at a constant 12.2 range from 3500 to 6500.

5.7ute
May 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hmm.... would be good if there was a WB plot on that log......

Simon

X2
Personally I would put in a 2 bar map sensor & upgrade to a custom OS. You would get much better fuelling control that way.

philsz06
May 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM
If I want to add fuel in 4k and up range do I just go under the fuel table, where it says mixture and then select the one that says RPM and adjust that table? I was told to take out .5 where it gets lean. Is this the correct method?

philsz06
May 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM
X2
Personally I would put in a 2 bar map sensor & upgrade to a custom OS. You would get much better fuelling control that way.

that's the 2nd time I heard that today.

5.7ute
May 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
If I want to add fuel in 4k and up range do I just go under the fuel table, where it says mixture and then select the one that says RPM and adjust that table? I was told to take out .5 where it gets lean. Is this the correct method?

No. But it is a method.
What they are telling you to do is open table B3618, & subtract 0.5 AFR from 4K up. Quick but not correct IMO.

joecar
May 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I agree with 5.7ute(Mick)... it will get your WOT AFR close to where you want, but that's about it (AFR/airmass/fuelmass will be off in non-PE modes/areas).

philsz06
May 7th, 2010, 04:30 AM
How do I tell what Max timing is at WOT? Is there a certain PID that will display this? I see all different PIDS for spark, but not sure which one to select. I also did notice .6 KR, is that anything to worry about? Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get a grasp for this whole tuning thing.

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Commanded timing is indicated by the pid GM.SPARKADV.

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 04:58 AM
BTW: In your tune file, set those 2 out-of-range parameters to some in-range value.

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Phil, your log from post #4 above is not viewing correctly in my scantool...

You might want to update your software from here: showthread.php?t=13550 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13550)

Was that log captured via black box mode or via passthru mode...?

Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

philsz06
May 7th, 2010, 05:39 AM
BTW: In your tune file, set those 2 out-of-range parameters to some in-range value.

I am not sure what you mean by this.

It is the V2 and I will try and download that new software. I am not too sure if it was captured via BB or passthru, it opened up fine on my PC. I will see if I can get it updated and reloaded. Thanks.

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Phil,

To fix those 2 out-of-range values, do this:
- start tunetool,
- goto Out Of Range tab,
- goto each of those tables and do this on each one:
- enter an in-range value in the cell that has blue dog-ears.

Do both tables, and Save the file.

Note: when a cell is out-of-range (above the max value, or below the min value), the tunetool displays the max or min value (whichever is closer) and marks the cell corners with blue dog-ears.

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Weird, on my desktop I could not view your file, and on my laptop I can... (I have build 115 on both).

Some comments:
- the front O2 voltages are HO2S11 and HO2S21... i.e. bank # sensor #.
- ignition timing is SPARKADV,
- can remove the pids OS2xxxxx when you next log.
- keep pid channel count to 24 or less (see bottom of PIDs tab) to get best sample rate.
- also log AFR or EQIVRATIO.

swingtan
May 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joecar, if you were using some sort of RDP tool ( VNC, Windows RDP, etc ) it seems to break the scantool pretty badly. I get the same display any time I open a log file when I have a VNC view window open.

philsz06, As Joecar has said, the GM.SPARKADV PID will show you yhe commanded spark advance value. This is not the the "theoretical best" value, just what the tune is commanded. Don't risk trying to find the best spark values until you get the fueling sorted out.

Simon.

joecar
May 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm not using anything like that... I'll check and my see what my desktop is doing.

philsz06
May 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
well, I did do what ECS told me and lowered those numbers on the Fuel RPM table(mixture) and the wideband is showing 11.6 across the pull. It definitely feels much better than before. I am still going to keep messing with a few things to get it the best I can. It is a learning process for me. I was seeing .6 KR before, but there isn't any now.