PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a SD Tune

TurboCamaro
May 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Am fairly new to EFI Live Tuning and am going to attempt a SD VE Tune.

The car is an '04 Z06.

The car has a 5 wire MAF. Is there a way to "deactivate" the MAF so that it may remain plugged and therefore be able to utilize the IAT?

I have the V2 set up to use an LM-1 with Serial Connection.

In Open Loop is it OK to pull the front Driver Side O2 Sensor and use this bung for the LM-1 Sensor?

The Auto VE Tutorial uses the Wide Band Controller with Analogue Output. Are the same PID's used with the Serial Communications and the LM-1?

macca_779
May 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Real easy buddy. Set Parameters C2901 and C2903 to 1. That way as soon as the MAF reads any airflow it will fail and disable.

joecar
May 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Yes, you can replace an NBO2 with the wideband.

The pids you want (these work with all serial widebands):
- WO2AFR1
- WO2LAM1
- WO2EQR1
- WO2ST1

And the ben pid is BEN1. You will have to copy/save/edit your ben map to use BEN1 as the data.

TurboCamaro
May 9th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks guys

So as soon as the MAF fails it will disable. Setting B2901 makes it think that it is seeing a frequency higher than is acceptable so the MAF is faulty, correct? Why does the tutorial request the MAF be unplugged.

Yes, you can replace an NBO2 with the wideband.

The pids you want (these work with all serial widebands):
- WO2AFR1
- WO2LAM1
- WO2EQR1
- WO2ST1

And the ben pid is BEN1. You will have to copy/save/edit your ben map to use BEN1 as the data.

Am I correct in these PIDS are the Caption and the PID Parameter is:
EXT.WO2AFR1
EXT.WO2LAM1
EXT.WO2ST1

I can't seem to find WO2EQR1. What system should it be in.

macca_779
May 9th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks guys

So as soon as the MAF fails it will disable. Setting B2901 makes it think that it is seeing a frequency higher than is acceptable so the MAF is faulty, correct? Why does the tutorial request the MAF be unplugged.

That is correct. The tutorial is written in a way so that it is impossible to not go 100% SD. Don't get me wrong. Failing the MAF in the tune works perfectly.. Its just an extra precaution. Plus for a customer that may like to have the option to reinstall the MAF at some stage you wouldn't alter the fail settings.

joecar
May 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Am I correct in these PIDS are the Caption and the PID Parameter is:
EXT.WO2AFR1
EXT.WO2LAM1
EXT.WO2ST1

I can't seem to find WO2EQR1. What system should it be in.Yes, correct.

Be sure to install the latest software/firmware from here: showthread.php?t=13550 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=13550)

The EQR pids should be right next to those, WO2-Serial system.

TurboCamaro
May 10th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Many thanks!

Many compliments to EFI Live. With the new updates and work gone into the equipment and software all of the PIDs, PID files and MAPs are ready to select and use.:cheers:

TurboCamaro
July 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Now that I have successfully completed a normally aspirated car it's time for a boosted one. The car is running right at the top of the Corvette Autocross series. Nice job on EFI Live.

I am doing an 03 Z06 with a Magnacharger. The Operating System is 12593358 so I have loaded COS 02040003 and installed a 2 Bar MAP sensor. Everything is good to go except I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to log for the VE. I am doing everything identical to the N/A car but I can't get it to function. The BEN1 PID is showing as a non valid PID. What am I missing here. Also should I set up 2 MAPS one for the "normal" VE (Main VE Table) and one for the "boosted" VE (Boost VE Table).

Thanks in advance for the support.

joecar
July 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Good job :cheers: any pics...?

On the PIDs tab, on BEN1 do rightclick->More Info to see which other pids need to be also selected (it requires EXT.WO2AFR1 and GM.AFR).

Yes, two maps, one for each VE table (copy-with-labels from a VE table, then click Paste-Labels in the map row/col properties).

TurboCamaro
July 24th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks Joe Car.

Will post pics.

So when I upgraded to COS3 the VIN was set to 0__0 now the scanner does not recognize all the PID's. I have tried to upgrade the VIN however I get an unrecognized error whether the key is on or off.

Thanks

joecar
July 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Set the VIN in the PCM using the scantool: go Bidirectional->Change VIN.

Also, from scantool, go File->Enter VIN for pid logging purposes.

TurboCamaro
July 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
It worked! Thanks a bunch.

Now I am really perplexed, this car has been a fun one. I cannot get the VE table to drive the A/F properly. The car is extremely lean to the point it hardly will run and I have the VE values maxed (only have worked on 2500RPM and lower). The car is definately in Open Loop, there are no Short Term or Long Term Trims active, the Temp Values (IAT and Coolant) look sane as does the MAP value.

:help2::help2:

johnv
July 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM
did you rescale your map sensor to suit 2 bar ?
have you changed injectors ?

TurboCamaro
July 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, I rescaled the MAP sensor. The 1 BAR was at 90kPa so I scaled the 2 BAR so it was at 90kPa as well key on engine off (NOte: We are pretty high in Altitude that's why the Baro is low).

Yes, I changed the injectors. I rescaled the injector table using the injector.xls table found online and verified with Banish's tables.

Since I have put the injectors in the car that came from Magnuson reconfigured the injector table.

I can add a ton of fuel (200%) in the VE table and it does not move the real A/F very much on steady state. With throttle input (wing th ethrottle) it will fatten up 2 or 3 points.

joecar
July 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Are you trying to do AutoVE...?

Did you disable the MAF...?
Did you disable CL, LTFT, STFT/SOL...?

Are you certain that the IFR table makes sense...?

johnv
July 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Maybe post up a copy your tune and engine setup -

ie injecter size @ rated fuel pressure
Fuel rail pressure ? rising rate or static ?
2 bar map sensor ?
fuel type - pump or e-85
boost level
engine capacity

also where do you have your wideband sensor ?
I have seen similar problem caused by exhaust leaks upstream of the sensor giving false readings.

TurboCamaro
July 25th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I am learning a ton on this one! Thanks for all the input!

Ended up the VE table wasn't moving the A/F as the MAF was still active (smart move on my part). I missed and had P0103 set to Not Reported so the PCM didn't know it wasn't working. This explains why steady state A/F values weren't moving with a change in VE, it wasn't looking at VE.

Now I have tuned the N/A VE regions but as soon as I do a sweep to tune boost I get Traction Control Codes; C1221, C1222, C1248 and C1278. I was getting the common P1514 however have eliminated it by maxing the top of C6101. The car will not accelerate past 3000RPM.

Any ideas on these Traction Control Codes and why it will not go past 3k

Will post a log and tune file.

Thanks

TurboCamaro
July 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Find posted recent log and tune files.

I have since scaled the entire VE Table, Boost VE Table and Injector Table by -20%. This allowed the motor to go to 3800RPM.

Another test I did to try and see if it is something in the engine management or the Traction Control is to do a sweep test while keeping the boost low. I can do a sweep if I do not get to much boost. It is real hard to determine exactly where it sets the codes.

johnv
July 25th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Two problems that i see at a quick look.

1, your going pig rich when in boost
2, look at your timing in the log , it goes to -9 deg in boost, no wounder it won't rev.
your pulling way to much timing with the boost timing table considering you only have 12-15 deg in main spark table.

I would make the main spark table more agressive , closer to NA , then use the boost timing table to pull timing back to that 12-15 deg for now, then take some more fuel out of the boost VE table.

TurboCamaro
July 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks Johnv

Yes, I saw that it was crazy rich with no timing. Was trying to be conservative and went way to far on the timing.

I will through some timing at it and lean it out.

How would this set the C1221, C1222 and C1248 codes.

joecar
July 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
BTW: Need to fix the out-of-range values in A0001, A0002, A0012, A0013.

joecar
July 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Those DTC's don't make sense...

C1221,2: zero wheel speed detected on two wheels (while other wheels have motion).
C1248: two wheel speed DTC's on same axle set (i.e. C1221,2 are set).

Is traction control applying the brakes...?

joecar
July 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
If the car is on the dyno then the EBCM/ABS controller will think the rear wheels are slipping because their speed is grossly different than the front wheels which are stationary... have to find a way to disable traction control...

Question still remains: why does traction control kick in during boost and not during NA...?

joecar
July 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM
When logging data for editing VE or MAF tables, reduce pid channel count to 24 or less (to have fastest sample rate).

johnv
July 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Give this a go,
your gonna have to work some more on the VE tables, added some more fuel in the top of the main VE table as you were going lean before entering boost and i think that was causing a bit knock retard .

TurboCamaro
August 31st, 2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks All!
Got it to work.
Attached are shots of the cars.8912891389148915