PDA

View Full Version : How to BBF

Happy Jim
May 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

Have I missed a nice easy write up on how to move the files around, where to put them on the FS2 and how to BBF?
I'm being a bit thick and can't work it out....anyone help?
Thanks

Jim

PS, I've worked out that I need to do a "file save as" to *.CTD file....after that :help2:

joecar
May 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Jim,

Are you running:
- V7 build 115,
- V8 build 95,
- firmware 2.6.35...?

joecar
May 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Run the S&T software, goto Black Box Settings, goto Tune Settings tab and make an entry for your PCM.

Save to file, and Flash to V2, exit S&T.

Open tunetool, open your .tun file and Save As .ctd, close tunetool.

Open EE, goto Data Files in bottom pane; in top pane navigate to your .ctd file, drag/copy it from upper pane to lower pane; exit EE.

Take V2 to car, select Tune menu, select Write, select the .ctd file, and confirm... progress bar appears, when finished turn off ign key for at least 15 seconds.

Happy Jim
May 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Jim,

Are you running:
- V7 build 115,
- V9 build 95,
- firmware 2.6.35...?

Joe,

Yes, but it's V8.1.2 Build 95, rest is correct.

I'm just off to run through your instructions and will be back shortly - Many thanks

Jim

Happy Jim
May 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM
OK, I think I'm nearly there :)
I had lots of "write error" but once I'd formatted the Flash & SD memory and the config system that went away.
I then couldn't "see" the .ctd file on V2 from the tuning file - I then realised that there is a file structure in the "Data Files" bit and put the .CTD file in the "Tune" directory....it's now visible.
Gone to the car, selected the relevent .CTD file and "OK" and now I get a "Script not supported by Firmware version".

I'll keep reading but guess I'm nearly there.

Jim

Happy Jim
May 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Thought I had it by recreating the .CTD file using Tune 115....still get the same.

I'm going to sleep on it and have another bash tomorrow night.

Jim

Happy Jim
May 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Same issue, so I've gone for a different approach, went to car - plugged in V2 (Ign on!) and tried to BBR - error current firmware doesn't support etc etc (tried this on the basis that it rules out me being a muppet with .CTD file creation/storage/retrieval etc)

I think I'm on all the current software/boot/firmware therefore I figure this is because I am as dumb as a box of frogs :angel_innocent: what do I need to do to tell my V2 that it is "clever"? I pinched this from another thread and think it's the answer to this question that I need:

"Use V8 S&T and make the proper BBx entries in the BBx section and copy the files to your V2 (just press the program button). "

Sooo - what are the "proper" BBx entries??

Thanks

Jim

Bootblock = 2.06.03 (May 03, 2010)
Firmware = 2.06.35 (May 03, 2010)
S&T V8.1.2 Build 95
Tune = V7.5.6 (Build 115)
Scan = V7.5.6 (Build 115)

joecar
May 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Jim,

Since you have a 2001 LS1 M6, the proper BBx entries are these files:
LS1B_M.pmm
LS1B_R.bix
LS1B_R.obj
LS1B_W.bix
LS1B_W.obj

And of course, Options.txt.

The _R files are for reading the flash.
The _W files are for writing the flash.

Attach V2 to PC, start S&T, goto Black Box Settings, goto Tune Settings tab: make an entry for LS1B, click Save, click Program, exit S&T.

Start EE, goto Config Files tab, click Home, make sure those LS1B_* files are present on your V2 (lower pane)... if not, make a note (let me know), and manually copy them from the upper pane to the lower pane... then exit EE.

Let me know what happens.

:)

ScarabEpic22
May 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM
OK, hope this helps out!

Open up V8 S&T, go to Black Box Settings. At the top of the window, click the "F4: Tune Settings" tab. Uncheck all the checkboxes on the left side and press the red remove button on the right. Select Yes to the pop up confirmation. Double click the first Unused line and enter a description of the controller. Select the appropriate Module and press OK. Now you should have a new item in the list with the module you selected.

If you have just a PCM, this is fine. If you have an Auto and want to read/flash the TCM, repeat the previous steps except select your TCM under Module.

Save the file if you so desire.

Now you have your desired BBR/BBF selections done, press the Program Button and it will ask you to confirm. Press Yes.

This is all you need to BBR. Go to your vehicle, plug the V2 in (wait for it to boot), then turn key to run just like a normal read. Select Read tune from the tuning menu in your V2 (dont have mine in front of me right now) and follow the instructions. Press OK on the V2 to read.

To BBF the same file back in (quick simple test), wait for the countdown timer to expire, turn the key back to run and wait 5-10 sec. Now select Program Tune from the Tuning menu in your V2 and press OK to reprogram.

That should be it, if it doesnt work at any point make sure the proper files were copied to your V2 using EFILive Explorer. Look for the files like this: E67_R.obj, E67_R.bix, E67_W.obj, E67_W.bix (substitute your controller for E67, LBZ and LMM Dmax dont have .bix files, so use the LS1_X.xxx files).

For BBL:
In the PID Menu Items window (blue), uncheck ALL the checkboxes on the far left. Then press the red button on the right side to remove all these options. You should now have nothing in the PID Menu Items window. Double click the first entry, enter a description, select the proper ECM/PCM in First Module and if you have a seperate TCM select it in Second Module (autos only, manuals leave Second at None). Press OK. There should be a new entry with the description and module(s) you selected in the PID Menu Items window now. Click it, then add the desired BBL PIDs from the right hand Available PIDs side (yellow). Press Program when you have made your selection. Save if you wish.

joecar
May 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I had forgotten that on an initial install all of the controllers show up on the Tune Settings tab... :doh2: ...thanks Erik.

ScarabEpic22
May 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I had forgotten that on an initial install all of the controllers show up on the Tune Settings tab... :doh2: ...thanks Erik.

No prob, I personally dont like having all of them there so I usually just read my old Options.txt file from my V2 and resave it over the new (aka full) Options.txt. Dont worry, I have recreated it a few times to take into account the new file structure! I think I didnt once right when BBR came out, took me a little bit to figure it out.:help2:

Happy Jim
May 12th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the replies guys - definatly stuff there that I haven't done so far. I'll give it a bash when I get home tonight and let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Jim

joecar
May 12th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Yes, I keep my old Options.txt... I diff it with the new one and pull any changes across, but only for LS1B and V6B.

Happy Jim
May 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Oh dear - no joy :-(

Followed the instructions above and the only difference I found was in the file list copied across to V2
LS1B_M.pmm
LS1B_R.bix
LS1B_R.obj
LS1B_W.bix
LS1B_W.obj

It copied all files mentioned except the .pmm file came across as LS1B_A.pmm (I'll take a wild guess and say that's for the auto :-)) - tried with that config but got the same error from the V2.
Back to desktop and manually added LS1B_M.PMM - same error.
Back to desktop and delete LS1B_A.PMM - same error ($050B)
Back to desktop and reflash the firmware (worth a go!) - same error.

Enough for one night, I think I'll adopt my normal approach to anything windows based and assume I've done something stooped during install - I'll uninstall everything, format SD/internal/config on V2 and then do a fresh download/install/update.....then I'll take it from the top again (tomorrow).

Thanks for pointers so far

Rgds

Jim

joecar
May 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I pm'd Tech Support.

Blacky
May 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
The $050B error means that the script file (the LS1_R.obj and/or LS1_W.obj) is not supported by the current firmware. That means the *.obj files on your PC (and hence the ones that get copied to your FlashScan device) are most likely newer than the firmware in your V2.

Note: the script files are not the calibration/tune data files (*.ctd) files.

Make sure you have the latest firmware in your V2. You can check the firmware (and boot block) version by selecting:
F3 Licensing -> F1 License Details, then scroll down using the down arrow key to reveal the Boot block and Firmware versions. They need to be:
Boot block: 2.06.03
Firmware: 2.06.34 or higher.

Regards
Paul

Happy Jim
May 13th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Yippee :cucumber::cucumber::fluffy::cheers:

All now good - sledgehammer approach worked.

Uninstall 7.5 then 8.1
Down load both zip files again
Install 7.5 then 8.1
Format Flash
Format SD
EE - Format Config (exit EE)
S&T - F4 tab, cleared all ticks appart from LS1 99+ then hit red minus key, saved file as options.txt and hit programme.

Off to car, read....works!
back to PC, copy .CTD file into data area (under Tune folder)
Off to car, write...works!

Note, I didn't change firmware levels on the V2, I also didn't do an "auto update" of the software (which I did the first time round when it didn't work).

Tickety boo, nice and easy fix.

Thanks for all the help and pointers for getting this working, I can now relax and take multiple tunes with me to the Nurburgring and have a play :grin:

Regards

Jim

joecar
May 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Jim, glad you got it going...:cheers:...keep us posted of your day at the 'Ring.

ScarabEpic22
May 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Glad you got it working!

Im excited for when full flashing comes along via BBF, Ill be able to carry a tow tune, race tune, and be able to keep the torque converter locked using a GTO T42 OS instead of my factory one.

ls1vt209
May 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I am having the same problem.

Latest bootblock, firmware and software running, but still get the $050B error when attempting to flash into the car or read. (insert head scratching here)

macca_779
May 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Well mine is finally working properly where I can save a .CTD in the tune tool and copy/flash it with the V2. Woohoo

ls1vt209
May 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I can get it all onto the V2 no problem just getting the error when attempting to flash.

Blacky
May 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I am having the same problem.

Latest bootblock, firmware and software running, but still get the $050B error when attempting to flash into the car or read. (insert head scratching here)

Try this:

Delete all the files (except Options.txt) in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\EFILive\V8\Config (for Win7/Vista)
or
C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive\V8\Config (for WinXP/Win2K)

Reinstall the V8.1.6.97 software. Available here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Start the V8 EFILive_ScanAndTune program and open the Black Box Settings Window.

Select the "Format" drop down menu option on the [Program] button to format the [Config] file system on your FlashScan.

Open the [Options.txt] file that you did not delete in step 1.

Click the [Program] button to reprogram the required files to your FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

Manbearpig
May 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
The only problem I'm having is copying files over from my computer to my V2 in EE
Whenever I copy/move something from the top pane to the bottom one I get: Error: $0185: File or Folder not found.

Blacky
May 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The only problem I'm having is copying files over from my computer to my V2 in EE
Whenever I copy/move something from the top pane to the bottom one I get: Error: $0185: File or Folder not found.

Make sure you've formatted all three file systems on FlashScan:

1. The Config File System on internal memory.
2. The Data File System on internal memory.
3. The Data File System on the SD Card (if you're using one).

To format the Config File System, use the format button in EFILive Explorer on the [Config] tab page.

To format the Data File System, first set the file system selector to Auto. To do that, on FlashScan select: F4 Options -> F1 Setup -> F1 Edit Settings. Change the "File Sys" setting to "Auto". Use the up/down arrows to move up/down, use the left/right arrow keys to change the setting. Press Ok to exit from "Edit Settings".

Now when you insert an SD Card you should see "SD" (Secure Digital) displayed in the lower left corner of FlashScan's display. When you remove the SD Card you should see "IM" (Internal Memory) displayed.

If you see XX displayed that means you have the "File Sys" setting set to SD Card but no SD Card present. If you see "IM" even when the SD Card is present, that means you have the "File Sys" setting set to Internal.

With the SD Card removed and the display showing "IM", select: F4 Options -> F2 File System -> F3 Format File Sys. That should take about 5-10 seconds.

Next, insert the SD Card (if you have one, if not then skip this step), make sure the display shows "SD" then select the same "Format File System" option. Depending on the size and speed of the SD Card the formatting could take anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Repeat the SD Card format for all SD Cards that you want to use with FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

Manbearpig
May 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Still can't copy anything over in EE

I manually copied over my files to my SD card though and got the script error $0502 when I tried to BBF :(

Manbearpig
May 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
My copying problem was due to my files name being to long. I'm sure thats my BBF problem too :)

Blacky
May 15th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Still can't copy anything over in EE

I manually copied over my files to my SD card though and got the script error $0502 when I tried to BBF :(

The brute force approach to (hopefully) solve this would be a clean re-install of the V8 software. To do that...

Format the Config file system on FlashScan to remove all traces of any older, out of date and unsupported files.

Uninstall the V8 software by selecting Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Tools->Uninstall EFILive V8.

When that is done, delete the following folders and all their files:

(for Vista/Win7)
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8
C:\ProgramData\EFILive\V8

(for WinXp/Win2K)
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8
C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\EFILive\V8

On 64 bit systems, substitute "Program Files (x86)" for "Program Files".

Then reinstall the V8 software.

Use the newly installed V8 EFILive Scan And Tune software to setup the FlashScan device for Black Box Logging.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM
My copying problem was due to my files name being to long. I'm sure thats my BBF problem too :)

Ah yes that problem. Adding a "file name too long" detection routine is on the list of enhancements for future versions.

The current limit is 63 characters including the full path name.
/EFILive/Scan/<filename>
/EFILive/Tune/<filename>
i.e. The total length must be 63 or less characters, which means the file name including the dot and the extension must be 49 characters or less.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 15th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Additionally, when browsing for files to select for BBF...

FlashScan only displays 18 characters for file names and 16 characters for folder names.
AutoCal only displays 16 characters for file names and 14 characters for folder names.

So it is advisable to make your file names unique within the first 16 characters.

Regards
Paul