PDA

View Full Version : BBL is quiting before I ask it to.

TFZ_Z06
May 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM
BBL logging is stopping at various times unpredictably (20 seconds, 1 min, various times). I have tried two different SD cards. It seemed to work ok when logging to internal memory.
Any ideas?

I'm using the latest firmware and software as of yesterday's update.

joecar
May 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I pm'd Tech Support.

swingtan
May 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
the usual reasons I've found BBL terminating unexpectedly.....

Memory Full: Either the internal memory or the SD has become full and there is no more room to add any data. This tends to leave partial log files on the card and will allow you to start new log files straight away, but they will quickly terminate again.
Bad connection: If the ODBII plug is not making good contact, the V2 can sometimes loose power or loose connection to the controller. This can lead to the log being terminated unexpectedly.
Faulty SD card or SD card socket: I've had issue with a few SD cards not making good connections in the socket. It is also possible to knock the end of the card while it is in the V2, causing an I/O error and terminating the log.

Most of these issues can be fixed by changing how logging is done, from ensuring there is plenty of free space to protecting the SD card and slot.

Simon

Tordne
May 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I mirror the above from 'swingtan'. Recently I have only see the BBL disconnect when the SD card connection has been lost, in my case when the V2 has hit the dash and the connection has been broken very briefly.

TFZ_Z06
May 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I was getting ready for the drags yesterday, so updated the software before I left, then downloaded a new setup on the V2. Note, this problem existed prior to this firmware. Not sure when it started or if the firmware is even an issue.

Ran a log, it d/c very quick. I have a 2 GB card that I have only attempted a few short logs on. I bought this card thinking the old one was bad. Same result. It makes a strange noise prior to quiting and saving the log automatically, "errrrrkkk". I'm going to experiment with it a little more to make sure its not a loose connection at the OBD2 port, but I don't have the problem when using my laptop so I doubt it. It could be the card is not connecting well.

I wonder if its safe to disassemble the V2 and check out the connector.

I like to use this feature at the drag strip and want to get it working again.
Is there a good way to diagnose for sure whats happening?

I'll try intentionally removing the card and see how it responds to get some testing and do the same w/the obd2 cable. Guess I'llr eformat the disk too.

Tordne
May 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
The buzzer going is exactly what I experienced when my SD Card lost connection. Have you tried logging to internal memory at all as a comparison. Obviously the duration is going to be limited vs. the SD Card, but if your disconnects are occurring that frequently it might be a worthwhile test.

Opening the V2 will void it's warranty. If the device is older then 12 months then the warranty has expired and you could therefore open it if you wanted without implication.

TFZ_Z06
May 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The buzzer going is exactly what I experienced when my SD Card lost connection. Have you tried logging to internal memory at all as a comparison. Obviously the duration is going to be limited vs. the SD Card, but if your disconnects are occurring that frequently it might be a worthwhile test.

Opening the V2 will void it's warranty. If the device is older then 12 months then the warranty has expired and you could therefore open it if you wanted without implication.

I need to test a bit. The internal mem as I recall worked ok.

swingtan
May 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Yes, the V2 will sound an alarm if it looses access to the SD card while it's logging. I've had this a few times when the SD card has been knocked and lost connection as well as filling the SD card. The other thing it could be is a faulty SD card lock tab on the side of the SD card. If this is loose or not locked back for read/write access, then it can trip the write lock on the SD socket in the V2.

Simon

lakingslayer
May 26th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I had this happen on a previous build of the V2 firmware (I don't remember which one exactly) and when I upgraded it seemed to fix the problem. I also formatted the SD card with the up to date version of FW. Maybe it's just a coincidence.