PDA

View Full Version : 8.1ltr question's???

GAMEOVER
May 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Is the 8.1ltr engine harness the same as a 6.0 harness(1999-2006)? The motor is a 2002 8.1... This is my first time dealing with a 8.1ltr. Does it have coil on plug? Does it us the LS type PCM? Is it Drive by Cable or Drive by Wire?
For some reason I keep thinking it's the Big Black Box Vortec type controlled engine...

Im going to work on it this week. Just curious as to what I can expect...

Big Mike
May 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
What to expect? Expect it to be very sensitive to KR and timing adjustments under cruise conditions. 180* T-stat helps some with that.

1) The engine harness's are similar but not identical. KS locations are different and a couple other sensors use different connectors.

2) Yes they're all coil near plug.

3) Will be DBW for sure if it's in a pickup.

4) They use the standard issue LS1B controller same as a 4.8,5.3, 6.0 etc.

GAMEOVER
May 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Thanks Big Mike...:cheers:

DURAtotheMAX
May 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM
throttle body's use different connectors....some ECM pinouts are different. Easier to just get an 8.1 harness IMO.

GAMEOVER
May 18th, 2010, 04:49 AM
throttle body's use different connectors....some ECM pinouts are different. Easier to just get an 8.1 harness IMO.

Really...

GAMEOVER
May 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Can the 8.1 Drive-By-Wire be converted to Drive-By-Cable? If Not, I really need a 8.1 engine harness that includes the injector & Coil SUB harness along with the TAC Module(with firewall harness) and of course Pedal....All the sensor's are there but no wiring at all...:shock:

GAMEOVER
May 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Anyone got a link who deals with 8.1ltr harness's?

DURAtotheMAX
May 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Can the 8.1 Drive-By-Wire be converted to Drive-By-Cable? If Not, I really need a 8.1 engine harness that includes the injector & Coil SUB harness along with the TAC Module(with firewall harness) and of course Pedal....All the sensor's are there but no wiring at all...:shock:

yes, it can. Ive done it. Its a PITA and not worth the effort, considering drive by wire works perfectly fine.

I have never heard of anyone else doing it though, so I was kind of flying blind. There was an 8.1 swap in an offroad jeep here that I was hired to get running. Several harness guys/tuners and GM "master tech's" tried and couldnt make it work (convert this 8.1 to DBC). I tried to convince the guy building the jeep to just run the freakin thing DBW but he was stubborn and didnt want anything to do with it.

I got it running using a combination of a 6.0 and 8.1 harness and 6.0 DBC operating system in a 512k PCM. I had to make the tune basically from scratch, and repin the connectors on the PCM. I also had to use 6.0 O2 sensors (8.1 O2 sensors WILL NOT WORK on a 6.0 PCM/OS) and run modified O2 sensor tables in the tune as well......

IMO just run drive by wire. :)

ben

ScarabEpic22
May 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
yes, it can. Ive done it. Its a PITA and not worth the effort, considering drive by wire works perfectly fine.

I have never heard of anyone else doing it though, so I was kind of flying blind. There was an 8.1 swap in an offroad jeep here that I was hired to get running. Several harness guys/tuners and GM "master tech's" tried and couldnt make it work (convert this 8.1 to DBC). I tried to convince the guy building the jeep to just run the freakin thing DBW but he was stubborn and didnt want anything to do with it.

I got it running using a combination of a 6.0 and 8.1 harness and 6.0 DBC operating system in a 512k PCM. I had to make the tune basically from scratch, and repin the connectors on the PCM. I also had to use 6.0 O2 sensors (8.1 O2 sensors WILL NOT WORK on a 6.0 PCM/OS) and run modified O2 sensor tables in the tune as well......

IMO just run drive by wire. :)

ben

Wow, thats a lot of work when he could have just had you stick an ETC pedal assembly into the Jeep and be done with it.

But you pulled it off, pretty darn cool.:cheers:

DURAtotheMAX
May 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Like I said, I tried convincing him a bunch of times. :)

Im not afraid of drive by wire! I love it. I use it in my own offroad buggy with has a Gen III LSx in it... Its (DBW) awesome in my buggy, if only for the fact that my buggy has the engine in the rear, and a 16 foot long throttle cable would have been clunky/sticky as hell.

Ben

GAMEOVER
June 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
About to start working on this project, problem is Drive-by-wire throttle body, pedal, TAC module & accompanying firewall harness aren't available...The only wiring on the motor is the coil pack & fuel injector SUB-harness...

GAMEOVER
June 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
All sensor's seem to be there, was thinking of running it OL-SD, it's going into a 72' Chevy 4X4 & only be driven as a cruiser on the weekends....:D
WOW...motor is a big son-of-a-beeatch!!!