PDA

View Full Version : Can't get '06 GTO to start on key only.

Johnyhotrod
May 18th, 2010, 04:34 AM
This is a heads/cam (238/242 duration) car. I upped idle speed to 825rpm at warm idle areas.... too much less, and the car would set misfire codes and map out of range errors

I cranked the crank airflow to max values to try and get it to start, I upped the Park position minimum idle airflow column to match actual running airflow (15 g/s).

I zerod out the flare control spark table.

I upped cranking timing.

None of this made a difference imho. I still have to go at least 1/4 throttle to get it to start.

Also, there is a long delay before it will idle upto commanded idle speed...

Any suggestions?

MyM8V8
May 20th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Have you drilled the butterfly? (throttle body blade)

Johnyhotrod
May 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Have you drilled the butterfly? (throttle body blade)

Hahahaha... no. Shit, we used to do that back in the 80's. You mean we still have to?

MyM8V8
May 21st, 2010, 05:38 AM
Don't laugh!!! It worked for me! I just drilled a 4mm hole and all the problems I was having went away.

Johnyhotrod
May 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
Don't laugh!!! It worked for me! I just drilled a 4mm hole and all the problems I was having went away.
Thought about that when i could not get the betterfly to open over 20%...

Highlander
May 25th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Do not drill the TB hole.. your's is drive by wire and you can tune it out...

MyM8V8
May 25th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Do not drill the TB hole.. your's is drive by wire and you can tune it out...

So is mine. I spent forever trying to tune it out until some one told me to drill it, and hey presto, it worked. (I did port the TB at the same time but i doubt the porting had anything to do with it)

Any chance of a to do list for an E40 dbw?

Oh, btw, mine idles nice now at 650 .

jfpilla
May 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
If when porting the TB the ridge was touched it will create some startup and/or idle issues.

If you have not done so, try reducing your VE's.

1200 rpms (-10%), 800 (-20%), 400 (-30%).

MyM8V8
May 25th, 2010, 10:21 PM
If when porting the TB the ridge was touched it will create some startup and/or idle issues.

If you have not done so, try reducing your VE's.

1200 rpms (-10%), 800 (-20%), 400 (-30%).

Cheers. I did pretty much try everything before drilling.

I was very careful not to disturb the ridge as I thought it could create issues. But I had the idle problems way before I decided to drill. I ported and polished the TB when it was off for drilling, not before.

jfpilla
May 26th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Cheers. I did pretty much try everything before drilling.

I was very careful not to disturb the ridge as I thought it could create issues. But I had the idle problems way before I decided to drill. I ported and polished the TB when it was off for drilling, not before.

I should have been more clear. I was responding to the original poster. He should try this before putting a hole in his TB.

MyM8V8
May 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I should have been more clear. I was responding to the original poster. He should try this before putting a hole in his TB.

I agree then. Sorry.