PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations GM software engineers

GMPX
May 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I just added support for the 50th E67 Operating System today.
Yep, 50 OS releases since 2006 when the E67 came out. :Eyecrazy:

ScarabEpic22
May 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Woohoo! More like congratulations for adding support for all of them! :D

GMPX
May 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
When they do small updates during the model year it's not too bad, it's when they do a model year updates they make changes to table structures etc, that is when the headaches start.

Kevin@SpeedMafia
May 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Very Cool!

GAMEOVER
May 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Good Work Ross...:thumb_yello:

redhardsupra
May 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM
is there a log of what the differences are? are they changes that users would notice, or just purely internal stuff that's hidden behind abstractions and interfaces?

gmh308
May 25th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I just added support for the 50th E67 Operating System today.
Yep, 50 OS releases since 2006 when the E67 came out. :Eyecrazy:

Your admiration for GM software engineers shines right through Ross! :)

joecar
May 25th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Why are the GM software engineers finding it necessary to create so many OS's...?

Those GM software engineers are no doubt in various different teams (which don't talk to each other)... is that the picture...?

GMPX
May 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
is there a log of what the differences are? are they changes that users would notice, or just purely internal stuff that's hidden behind abstractions and interfaces?
I don't know what a lot of the changes involve, they add new things, sometimes remove old ones. Most of the time they don't seem to change the tables we all tune with. In fact when you look on CalID so many updates are for diagnostic purposes.

Your admiration for GM software engineers shines right through Ross! :)
I really like the code that GM/Delphi writes, they are very smart people.

Cheers,
Ross

mistermike
May 27th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Cheers,
Ross

A friend of mine works for GM Powertrain. With all the new D.I. Gen5 LS stuff coming, I think they're finally going to start writing their own D.I. O/S's instead of subbing it out to the Germans. Whether Delphi gets the ECM contract is still up in the air. Since GM spun them off, they treat Delphi like a red headed stepchild as they do all their other vendors.

gmh308
May 27th, 2010, 12:48 AM

Cheers,
Ross

Much better than the code that the T43 aliens write :).

GMPX
May 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
A friend of mine works for GM Powertrain. With all the new D.I. Gen5 LS stuff coming, I think they're finally going to start writing their own D.I. O/S's instead of subbing it out to the Germans.
They already have, it's a Delphi ECM used on the current 3.0L DI V6, I thought they would switch the 3.6L DI away from Bosch too, but maybe that is coming.

dfe1
May 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I have never owned anything by GM-produced vehicles because I find them more to my liking than those produced by other companies. Having said that, and having worked on them for many years, I can fully understand why the company wound up in bankruptcy; GM has become the poster child for needless duplication and redundancy. I don't doubt that some of the OS changes are improvements, but 50 different systems????? Ross, you must have the patience of a saint.