PDA

View Full Version : Tuning support for Grand Prix GTP?

cumminsDK
June 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
I recently had a customer bring in a 2000 pontiac grand prix GTP with the supercharged V6. I determined that it had what looked like either an LS1 or Atlas controller, but was unable to read the tune choosing either, even when using alternate keys, and unselecting high speed. Are these vehicles unavailable to us? I noticed they are not listed in the supported vehicles list.

dfe1
June 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
The Grand Prix controllers are not supported by EFILive. The question of adding support for them has been brought up several times and last I heard, there were no plans to do so, but that should be confirmed with Paul or Ross.

Tordne
June 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Correct, there are no plans to add support for those controllers at this time.

LS1FREEK
March 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
What about an 05 Grand Prix GTP?

Tordne
March 29th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Not listed as supported, but if you want to send your full VIN to me (support@efilive.com) I can check the ECM type used?

LS1FREEK
March 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Ok I'll email you the VIN. My email is ls1freek@gmail

L31Sleeper
March 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM
What about an 05 Grand Prix GTP?

I think that is an LS4 with a E40 ECM, In that case Yes you could tune it.

LS1FREEK
March 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I think that is an LS4 with a E40 ECM, In that case Yes you could tune it.

Nope I have the L32 3.8L Supercharged

L31Sleeper
March 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Maybe it's the GXP that has the LS4

LS1FREEK
March 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Yup, that's the one ;)

Tordne
March 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for sending the VIN through. Unfortunately your vehicle is using an ECM type that we don't support.

LS1FREEK
March 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Darn... Thanks!

L31Sleeper
April 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Bump !!!!!!

Tordne
April 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Not sure why you're bumping?

L31Sleeper
April 27th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I noticed that there were several V6 3.8, 3.1 threads. Then I found this

Whoo, hoo!, 4 users :grin: , just kidding.

Cheers,
Ross

It seems like each thread that shows interest pops up one at a time with
say 3 or 4 users then disappears, so at any given time it might not seem
worthwhile. I even had my own thread about this and I can't seem to
find it now.

GMPX
April 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Correct, for EFILive to invest a month or so on development for cars approaching 10 years in age to serve 20 to 30 users at best would be rather silly.

L31Sleeper
April 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
OK I'm done..........I don't mean to get myself baned........I thought there might be hope.

LS1FREEK
April 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Honestly, I firmly believe you would hag ALOT more than 20-30 people interested in this, the problem is most tuners don't know of these cars don't even know EfiLive exists. If EfiLive supported these cars, you would receive quite a few more customers. There are ALOT or people modding these cars all around the country but only 1 tuning tuning software that I'm aware of, starting with the letters "HP", if you know what I mean. IMO, this EfiLive is a lot more user friendly, so I would LOVE to see this software support all 3.8L engines. Just my $.02

L31Sleeper
April 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Well I thought I would generate interest instead I generated "support will NEVER be offered"

GMPX
April 30th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Just on these, I know Tunercat supports them, they also offer a .tdf editor don't they? So you could create however much mapping support you want. There seems to be a handful of people out there who do have an intimate knowledge of this PCM.

M2wcustoms
October 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Still nothing on being able to tune the 04 GTP supercharged ?

cindy@efilive
October 11th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Still nothing on being able to tune the 04 GTP supercharged ?

The quote from 2010 was pretty much a giveaway.....

Correct, there are no plans to add support for those controllers at this time.

Followed by the quote suggesting other products for those interested in tuning them 2011....

We still have no plans to offer support.

Cheers
Cindy

larski156
January 14th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Well I thought I would generate interest instead I generated "support will NEVER be offered"

Very sadly so. Maybe we could get a poll going. With enough support I would hope EFI Live would surly reconsider the current position. I know of many people modding these cheaper 3.8 engines. Safe to say these 3800`s are modded more now than the Duramax`s ever have been.

Since diesel tuning here in the US is on a downward spiral maybe that's enough to get the legendary 3800 back on track for tuning support. I would be very surprised if even so-so tuning support was released and any less than thousands of licenses were sold within the first year.

Anything good is worth waiting for. If EFI Live was not a superior product no one would care nearly as much about support for these older PCM`s. I cant imagine there is more modding going on for newer more expensive platforms vs the older more economical and very common 3800 market.

EagleMark
January 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM
The 3800 will never go away and always be a great market! Just like all the 96-2000 Vortec trucks! EFI Live missed the boat on both and still is. There's will always be more sales available on both of those then all the diesels.

I don't understand where EFI Live get's it figures from? But it's not real world...

cindy@efilive
January 15th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Very sadly so. Maybe we could get a poll going. With enough support I would hope EFI Live would surly reconsider the current position. I know of many people modding these cheaper 3.8 engines. Safe to say these 3800`s are modded more now than the Duramax`s ever have been.

Since diesel tuning here in the US is on a downward spiral maybe that's enough to get the legendary 3800 back on track for tuning support. I would be very surprised if even so-so tuning support was released and any less than thousands of licenses were sold within the first year.

Anything good is worth waiting for. If EFI Live was not a superior product no one would care nearly as much about support for these older PCM`s. I cant imagine there is more modding going on for newer more expensive platforms vs the older more economical and very common 3800 market.

I don't want to dishearten you, but a poll at a static point of time won't be good enough. The lack of consistent, regular and unique emails requesting support is what drives development and your platform wouldn't even be in the top 10 requests.

Cheers
Cindy

EagleMark
January 15th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I've said this before about the Vortec truck engine. The internet has told everyone that EFI Live does not support 96-97 and doubt they would even consider supporting a one year PCM. But they also know the support for 98-00 is very limited so no one emails you. If 98-00 support was anywhere near LS1 level? The swap from a 96-97 to 98-00 PCM is easy so you get the whole group.

Same for the 3800 crowd! Internet has already provided the information, no one is going to email you!

Please take this as positive feedback to your thought process.

How about if I gave you a calibration document for early 3800 with everything needed? Would you be interested? I think I read you have some time and bootloader done?

Same for the 98-00 Vortec truck, although not a complete document, I've found all we needed and with your experience, compared to mine, should be easy to find what's left.

GMPX
January 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Since diesel tuning here in the US is on a downward spiral
Really? Not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

I would be very surprised if even so-so tuning support was released and any less than thousands of licenses were sold within the first year.
We aren't about to disclose any sales figures in a public forum, but if that is your guess then it is a LONG way behind the Diesel market. Heck, even the EFILive Diesel users tell us we should be doing the PowerStroke, not Duramax and Cummins, so apparently we aren't even in the biggest Diesel market.
I'm not saying that your 3.8L license sales prediction is anything to be sneezed at (though I am not sure about the number), it's just not a 'drop everything else' temptation at the moment.

That is a compliment and is appreciated and honestly I have nothing against the 3800 motor, I wish GM still put them in their cars.

There's will always be more sales available on both of those then all the diesels.
I'm sorry Mark, but that is delusional and I would not even know where to begin to prove that to you.

How about if I gave you a calibration document for early 3800 with everything needed? Would you be interested?
That isn't the issue, the issue is my white board full of projects that we know are a guaranteed winner, guaranteed!

I think I read you have some time and bootloader done?
I have no time, none! If I was sitting around with nothing to do I would do the 3800, but that isn't the case.

EagleMark
January 16th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Well that's all fair!

Except the delusional part? Come on, that was a cheap shot and not called for. If you saw my sales for the year and understood a few more things about new and older car as in new and second owner you would understand. I'd be glad to talk to you about someday. But your clearly booked with projects and it would not help at this time.

GMPX
January 16th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I was not having a cheap shot or trying to insult you, I was once on your side of the fence too, I've seen both sides and our business choices are made by actual demand, not assumed. I believe the Toyota Corolla is the highest selling vehicle in the world, yet I don't think there a tuner out there for them. Just about every Diesel truck on the road has been modified, so whilst GM made a bunch of 3.1L to 3.8L motors over the years I don't think Grandpa's Oldsmobile Intrigue is about to hit the strip.
At this point I think it is best just to say that we are not currently working on them, if you need to tune them then TunerCat is a good option, but one day it might all happen with EFILive, I didn't write those read and flash routines to kill some time.