PDA

View Full Version : Capability Questions

ippielb
June 2nd, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hello, just looking to get into tuning vehicles. Start a little side job, for a tax write off. And i want to get the best bang for the buck. And i've heard everywhere that EFI Live is the best. So, here i am. I just have a few questions. I've heard people say that EFI Live is expanding their range of vehicles they can tune into ATV's and toys like that. Is that true? And does EFI Live have any plans to make tuning Dodge, and Ford vehicles? This would be a huge plus for me, and i wouldn't hesitate to purchase the tune program package.

Thank you.

ScarabEpic22
June 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
I highly doubt EFILive will tackle anything but cars and trucks, no ATVs/etc. They only do GM vehicles but 06-10 Dodge Cummins support is currently in initial development. Dont think there are plans for Ford, SCT and HPT have that area.

Just a heads up, this isnt a cakewalk. Ive spent 4+ years now tuning my 2 trucks and only in the last 6mo have I been happy with the tune for my 02 TB. Notice I said happy, not ecstatic, because it will never be perfect, only close. Have a mild tune in my SS, but Im always crunched for time it seems so I havent had a few weeks to really sit down and tune it properly. You're going to need a dyno if you want to go real tunes as well, you can street tune most rides pretty well but try hitting the weird load cells in 6th gear at 130mph on the freeway. Not exactly safe.

ippielb
June 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm not looking to do anything serious, just basic tuning, things that a handheld can do, by no means am i ready to do any serious tuning. I was going to get a tune done to my truck, and buy a code reader, and it only made sense, Code Reader = $300, and a custom tune = $250, that only makes sense, to buy a tuner myself, so i can read my codes, delete them, tune my truck, and change the tune whenever i want. Instead of needing to send it in to get something changed on it.

joecar
June 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
ippielb (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?10707-ippielb), welcome to the forum...:cheers:

See here (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82) for currently supported vehicles.

Like Erik said, Cummins has started development and no due date has been said.

Sorry, no other vehicles.

:)

ScarabEpic22
June 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Ah but things a handheld can do are a slap in the face of a good tuner. Least thats my opinion, Ive seen what some "custom" tunes look like in some trucks and cant believe people get away with them. For one reputable tuner, his tune involved leaving the spark tables alone but in the non-PE (should have been done in the PE table, P10s have 4 main spark tables) table he set timing to a static 23 degrees in the highest MAP columns. I couldnt see many other changes worthwhile, and he has sold many of them.

I agree, buy the software to use as an excellent code reader and datalogger (it's better than GM's Tech II) and play around with tuning your own truck. Ill advise you to be careful tuning other people's cars until you have a solid grasp of what you are doing, if you blow their motor up you wont have happy people to deal with.

ippielb
June 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
That's why i'm looking to do this now, i wont need the tax write off until next year. As thats when i will need to do taxes. I'm wanting to get a little ahead of the game, so i don't panic at the end.