PDA

View Full Version : Worst case scenario hypothetical question!

TBMSport
June 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
ok....so I'm under the impression that all GM ECM's have all their related P/N vehicle files already installed and that you simply need to flash the calibrations that are specific to the vehicle you stick it in. So what would happen if I run a vehicle with a generic T43 calibration in it?:shock:

ScarabEpic22
June 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
No such thing as a generic calibration Jesse, all of them are setup to use specific pinouts (among other things) and are slightly different. For the SS, Im not sure exactly what T43 cal you should use but probably one from a GMT900 would be my guess. Vette as choice #2.

And I think you're off a little on ECMs, for E67s you can take any year and flash any file into it. Full flash, as in the WHOLE OS and cal. For example, if I buy an E67 from a 09 CTS-V I can full flash my 08 TBSS ECM file over it and drop it into my SS.

TBMSport
June 3rd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Let me put it this way...if I have an E38 G8 and stuck and a E38 Silverado in there (both pre-09), what would be the worst thing to happen? No start? No shift? RPM and shift changes?

ScarabEpic22
June 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Something like that yes, depends on the platform. You might not have spark but have fuel, vice versa, things like that. There's a good chance if the engines arent identical (which they wont be going from a truck to car, different intakes) the tune wont be right plus things like AFM might not work. Speedo output might be incorrect.

You can take the hardware and swap it over, but you really should full flash the proper OS into it. Are you talking about T43s or E38s here, if you're talking about the engine side then my above comments apply. For the trans, Im honestly not sure. I dont even know if the pinouts are different for them, pretty sure the T42 uses the same ones for all models (why you can run a GTO OS in our TCMs to keep the TC locked coasting with your foot off the gas).