PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why I should go with EFI Live

Mike6158
June 6th, 2010, 05:35 AM
This is my first post here. The last time that I visited the EFI Live site there was a video of a 10 second Duramax on the front page. Things have changed a lot.

My truck is well outside of warranty. It's doing great and I think it's time to see if I can boost performance and maybe even get a little better fuel mileage.

Why should I go with EFI Live and not a "canned" solution like Bullydog or one of the others?

Should I do something with the exhaust (and the ridiculous recirc system)? I live in rural TX so no emissions tests for me.

It's my understanding that the stock air induction system is pretty good. True or False. If false then what is another option?

odd boy
June 6th, 2010, 07:27 AM
First of all welcome to the forum, I can list some reasons of getting Efilive suit

1. User friendly software
2. You can manipulate all parameters within the ecu vs pullydog that comes already programmed & has limited flexibility
3. Can tune more than one car with the same kit, only thing u need is buying additional credits
4. Forum support where all efilive experts will help you to overcome any tuning issues
5. Cheap according to the features and after sale services
6. The navigation of the software is designed in a simple way.

I think there is more, I don't recall them now

GMPX
June 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Mike6158, the way to look at EFILive is similar to any other mod you want to do to your truck, if you want to have a go at tuning it yourself then EFILive is certainly the way to go, if you want the simplicity of flashing in a tune done by someone else and not having to learn tuning then a "canned" tune is your best bet.
If you wanted to go for a "Canned" tune then I would recommend some of the resellers (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=9&Itemid=91) of EFILive's products as a number of them also sell tunes built with EFILive. You can also talk to them to see if EFILive is going to work for you.

99-LS1-SS
June 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm wondering if I should get EFI Live too. I think I have a decent grasp on the basics of tuning. Does anyone have experience that could give me some insight? I have some HP Tuners experience but not a lot. Not sure if that helps or hurts me.

LBZoom
June 8th, 2010, 03:29 AM
The great thing about EFI Live is that you can adapt it to any future modifications that you make and you have the ability to experiment with different tunes and create the one best suited for you. Many "canned" chips (not referring to pringles,lol) do not disable emissions equipment such as the EGR systems and DPF systems, EFI Live gives you that control.

I started from scratch with EFI Live and learned how to do it on my own, my 2006 LBZ currently makes around 400rwhp and 655twtq on my stock transmission and shifts very smooth, another benefit with EFI Live is the ability to tune your transmission as well.

If you decide to tune yourself, this forum and it's members are very good at offering tips and support and you can always post your tunes and data logs on here for review by us members, we're glad to help. Someone can probably help you with a starter tune and then you can build from there, the joy of driving a custom tuned truck is far greater than buying a tuner in my opinion. It's like building your own hot rod or simply buying one that's already been built, there's more pride in it ya know. :cheers:

mr.prick
June 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
You can download and use the software before buying. (demo)
Download Software (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133)

GeneralTJI
June 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I use HP myself (basically the same capability), but for Diesel tuning I would go with EFI live (far better support for Diesel stuff)

Customize your tune to your needs!

Couple things that stood out for me:

1. High rev tune to stay in 4th gear longer and help the tranny last)
2. Change shift points and TC control. I lock up my TC much sooner in non tow haul mode, and I can run it at lower rpms at light throttle.. (better mileage and less tranny heat)
3. I went for a more HP tune (not so much low end power ~ torque) high torque numbers break things.. more torque in the higher rpms means more HP but the overall torque numbers the driveline sees aren't much higher
4. Things are a little different for me at high altitude, a custom tune better allows dialing in the truck at high altitude

And if you have any plans for bigger turbo, or twins, it's a must to take full advantage of them!

There are other reasons too.. but those are the reasons why I really appreciate being able to change my tune anytime I want over running a canned tune.

As I learned in the gasoline world years ago, doing a custom per vehicle tune will blow away an off the shelf universal tune any day of the week.