PDA

View Full Version : Error messages while recording

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I decided to finally set up my program to the Corvette and record some data. I installed a new CAI on the LS2 and I wanted to see the fuel trims. I understand that I might toss a code with the CAI and I thought I'd look to see if there was some "ugly" hiding in the wings.

I keep getting error messages during the recording. Something about out of range. I do see my Short and Long fuel trims at -100 (that's a bit off) My IAT went from 108F to -40f (I live in Florida, not gonna happen), Speed dropped to 0 MPH in a blink.

So, what the hell did I do wrong this time. :D I must have something set up wrong.

I attached my 2 log files where I had the error. I also attached my error files.

V7.5.6 Build 117

Old guy messed up again,

Elmer

joecar
June 9th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Elmer, I notified Tech Support, thanks for posting the error files and the version number.

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Elmer, I notified Tech Support, thanks for posting the error files and the version number.

Hm... Is there a slight chance that it wasn't all on me? :D I think I'm as current as I can get on software updates. I know it's been a while since I've done any logging so I may have missed a setting or something. I validated the PIDs and set a few things on the Dashboard B. I didn't see anything obvious as to why it choked but, hell, I have really great ways to screw things up!

Elmer

Tordne
June 9th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Your firmware is still the 2.4.72 version. This should be upgraded (requires the install of version 8.1.2 Build 97) to 2.06.35. Refer to this document (C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents\Upgrading FlashScan.pdf) for instruction on the upgrade procedure. Please let us know if the issue still occurs after the firmware is updated.

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
OK, I'll do that. I have been doing the updates per the update procedure. Why haven't I been updated to that version? I went in today and asked for an update and it brought my desktop up to the same thing that my laptop has.

So the question is, why didn't the "update" action keep me up to snuff?

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Loading 8.1.2 build 97 now

Tordne
June 9th, 2010, 07:19 AM
The 2.04.72 firmware was the last version managed/updated by the version 7 software. From the 2.05.x version onwards the firmware is maintained with the version 8 software releases. So, you need to keep both V7 and V8 up to date now :)

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Aaaargh! Quit picking on old people! I'll putter at this for a while and get back to ya!

Tordne
June 9th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I think you're more than capable ;)

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Don't bet on it!

OK, 8.1.2 build 97 is loaded.
7.5.6 Build 117 is loaded

The 2.04.72 firmware is hopefully loading now.

Tordne
June 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM
According to your logs you are already running 2.04.72. 2.04.72 is a necessary version before going further. You now go to page 5 of that document and do the key presses on the V2 keypad. Good luck...

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Well, supper is ready and I "THINK" I have accomplished the impossible.

In EFILive Explorer I see in those cute little boxes
bootblock Version 2.05.08
BB date Apr 25, 2008
Firmware Version 2.06.35
Firmware date May 03 2010

Flashscan says it updated bootblock and rebooted and I ran out of things to say yes and ok to!

If that is wrong, I'm in deep doodoo!

Elmer

Tordne
June 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
That does seem impossible. You cannot have a 2.05.x bootblock and 2.06.x firmware. With the 2.05.08 bootblock you should be able to update to 2.05.21 at most I think. Then upgrade to the 2.06.03 bootblock and then finally to the 2.06.35 firmware.

Is the device booted normally?

eboggs_jkvl
June 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Ok, supper is over.

I connected the cords and it wants to do some more updates. What the hell, I said go for it. bootblock is now 2.06.03 Mar 3 2010

Updating firmware now...

2.06.35 may 3 2010

How's that? Can I go and do some recording now on V7.5 :D

joecar
June 9th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Elmer,

You went from impossible to working...:cheers:

2.6.03/2.6.35 are the latest;

now format the Config space (from S&T) and the data spaces (SD card and internal, from V2 LCD)...

then use S&T to configure the pids/pidlists you want to log.

[S&T = Scan&Tune program installed with V8 software]

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Gezze! I amaze myself at times! :D

OK, I think I am ready to hook up and verify the PIDs, adjust the settings on my "data to be monitored", and I can go at it using the laptop. Now, if I plan on using the FS to store information, I will need to format something internal in the FS and/or plug an SD card in to the FS and format the SD card to enable it to store data. Is that statement accurate?

I think I need to search for the "How to format" information to at least format the FS. I'll need to obtain another SD card in order to use that function.

Hm... what's this "now format the Config space (from S&T)" stuff? More searching in my future.

Elmer

joecar
June 10th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Gezze! I amaze myself at times! :D

OK, I think I am ready to hook up and verify the PIDs, adjust the settings on my "data to be monitored", and I can go at it using the laptop. Now, if I plan on using the FS to store information, I will need to format something internal in the FS and/or plug an SD card in to the FS and format the SD card to enable it to store data. Is that statement accurate?

I think I need to search for the "How to format" information to at least format the FS. I'll need to obtain another SD card in order to use that function.
Yes you can format the SD card from V2...

See post #8: showthread.php?13596-Want-to-start-using-BBL-0281 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13596-Want-to-start-using-BBL-0281&highlight=format+sd)

Hm... what's this "now format the Config space (from S&T)" stuff? More searching in my future.

ElmerOoops, my bad, sorry, I meant from in EE under the Config Files tab, not S&T. :doh2:

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Well, I'm still having issues. I hooked up, verified the PIDs, set the ones I needed, selected the E38, looked ok, I was connected to the ECM hit record and bam, data started logging. I started driving and then the recording just froze, stopped. I still had the red bar at the bottom. I did catch a message about trying to reconnect on one of the stoppages.(I think, it's hard to see everything when you are in a moving car). On the first recording try I went 1378 frames and it stopped recording the second recording went 1308 frames and then it stopped. I did not get an error message to pop up. It just "froze" on the data and didn't go any further.

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 04:41 AM
One more thing. I did NOT insert the SD card or try to use anything internal on the FS. I am running the data directly to the laptop in the passenger seat.

Tordne
June 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM
When purchasing an SD Card remember not to get anything bigger then 2 GB as FlashScan cannot use it.

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM
When purchasing an SD Card remember not to get anything bigger then 2 GB as FlashScan cannot use it.

I keep that in mind. :D First things first. I'd simply like to be able to record the data for more than 50 seconds. Why is the recording sessions stopping after less than a minute of recording?

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I pushed an error report on the data file I was recording.

Elmer

Tordne
June 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
If you're using the Scan Tool (pass-thru) for logging select the 'Edit->Properties' menu option and then check under the 'Frames (x1000)' setting on the 'Logging' tab. This determines the number of frames at which the Scan Tool will automatically close the logging session.

If you are using the Black Box Logging functionality do you hear the buzzer going when the logging stops? Is the log valid (i.e. you can open in Scan Tool and it looks like valid PIDs)?

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 10:38 AM
If you're using the Scan Tool (pass-thru) for logging select the 'Edit->Properties' menu option and then check under the 'Frames (x1000)' setting on the 'Logging' tab. This determines the number of frames at which the Scan Tool will automatically close the logging session.

If you are using the Black Box Logging functionality do you hear the buzzer going when the logging stops? Is the log valid (i.e. you can open in Scan Tool and it looks like valid PIDs)?

I'm using the Scan tool pass through and the Properties/Logging Frames is set to 50 (x1000)(50,000 frames and I'm stopping at 1300) 01:23:20 @10 frames /sec. I am not using the Black Box logging function. I'm recording all of the data straight to my laptop. I am running W7 Ultimate 32 bit with 2 gig RAM.

All of the PIDs selected are valid

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I started the recording, drove and saw that it had stopped recording. I clicked on the "stop" button and it prompted me to save the file. I re-initiated the "record" function and the data started "reading". I started to drive again and it locked up again. I still showed connected. I had the red bar indicating that I was in "record" but no data was changing and nothing was moving from left to right on my screen. I again hit "stop" and was prompted for a file name.

eboggs_jkvl
June 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Should I raise the 50 frames X 1000 to something higher?

Tordne
June 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Can't hurt.. Remember the CAN controllers will be spitting out 40 fps (not 10 like the LS1). In fact depending on how many PIDs you have selected it could actually be in excess of 40 fps.

eboggs_jkvl
June 11th, 2010, 02:27 AM
OK, I have 18 PIDs selected, I'm going to reduce it to just what I want to see and increase the frame count. I had 19 Channels running.

I now have 17 PIDs and still 19 channels. The "frames" is now set at 200. I'll give it another whirl.

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl
June 11th, 2010, 04:49 AM
OK, we're still aborting the recording. No error messages. The red bar is still showing. I am still connected to the ECM. THis is getting frustrating. 1320 frames and 1756 frames then recording stops.

I generated an error file and I've included both of today's failed EFI files.

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl
June 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM
What would you like me to update or check now? I have no ability to scan my car or any car now. I am going to need this very soon as I'm going to do some work on the old Turbo Camaro in July so I need to have this problem corrected.

Thanks,

Elmer

Tordne
June 11th, 2010, 06:38 AM
We're not seeing any reports of this functionality from other users which you'd expect if it was a firmware or software related issue. Can I ask what type of PC (specification) you're using for pass-thru logging? The reason I ask is that I have a netbook laptop which I know does not keep up with logging an E38 when showing the graphs (gauges appear fine). It "seems" to just stop when I record on the graph dash page.

Could you perhaps try logging when on the F8 (PIDs) or F9 (Data) tabs and see if you get the same symptom?

eboggs_jkvl
June 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM
We're not seeing any reports of this functionality from other users which you'd expect if it was a firmware or software related issue. Can I ask what type of PC (specification) you're using for pass-thru logging? The reason I ask is that I have a netbook laptop which I know does not keep up with logging an E38 when showing the graphs (gauges appear fine). It "seems" to just stop when I record on the graph dash page.

Could you perhaps try logging when on the F8 (PIDs) or F9 (Data) tabs and see if you get the same symptom?

Acer Travelmate 4650
Intel Pentium 2.00 Ghz
RAM 2GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I'll try the other tabs for you.

Tordne
June 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM
That should be plenty grunty enough :(

eboggs_jkvl
June 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Good call. It went to frame 26,470 and stopped per my request to stop. I was sitting on F9 Data. It looks like my Acer is a POS and is too slow to keep up.

Thanks! We're good now.

Elmer

Tordne
June 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
When you're on the graph/gauge display press CTRL+Y and it will show you the frame rate your getting.