PDA

View Full Version : LM-1 AFRs in Scan off the scale.

curtbriggs
November 23rd, 2005, 04:39 AM
Well it's me again, the cursed or ????

Using the AutoVE tutorial and my LM-1 controller, my AFRs in scan data and Dashboard are in the 40's.
Volts/AFRs are set correctly in Logworks2 per the EFI info. The LM-1 controller AFR read out is correct and what you'd expect to see.
C=Green, D=ground, E=red wire.
0.05V=10AFR, 4.5V=18AFR.

I've noticed that those settings don't always stay after set in LM programmer V3.04.
This is starting to really try my exceptional patients.

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
November 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
By default, EFILive expects the LM-1 to be set up as:
0V = 0AFR
5V = 50AFR

The LM-1 formula in EFILive's sae_generic.txt file is:
{EXT.AD1}*10
where {EXT.AD1} is the voltage output from the LM-1 unit.

If you set your LM-1 as:
0V=10AFR
5V=20AFR
Then you could either:
1. Change the LM-1 default formula in sae_generic.txt to
{EXT.AD1}*2+10
OR
2. Use the PLX PIDs which are already set up for that range.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
November 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
By default, EFILive expects the LM-1 to be set up as:
0V = 0AFR
5V = 50AFR

The LM-1 formula in EFILive's sae_generic.txt file is:
{EXT.AD1}*10
where {EXT.AD1} is the voltage output from the LM-1 unit.

If you set your LM-1 as:
0V=10AFR
5V=20AFR
Then you could either:
1. Change the LM-1 default formula in sae_generic.txt to
{EXT.AD1}*2+10
OR
2. Use the PLX PIDs which are already set up for that range.
Regards
Paul

Paul, thanks for the come back and a solution. I'll jump right to it.

Thanks you, Curt

deezel
November 26th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I did #2 above rather than correcting the calculation for the LM-1.
:)

curtbriggs
November 26th, 2005, 04:53 AM
I did #2 above rather than correcting the calculation for the LM-1.

So did I and in EFIScan data, the AFRs are one whole AFR high as compared to what the controller read out is. The comanded AFRs agree with the LM-1 controller read out. 14.7 and 14.7, data reads 15.7 +or-.

Curt

Redline Motorsports
November 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Is this the same setup for the LC-1? I finally got my AutoTune setup today and the actual reading did not match the readings off the dynos WB.

curtbriggs
November 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM
[quote=deezel]I did #2 above rather than correcting the calculation for the LM-1.

So did I and in EFIScan data, the AFRs are one whole AFR high as compared to what the controller read out is. The comanded AFRs agree with the LM-1 controller read out. 14.7 and 14.7, data reads 15.7 +or-.

Curt[/quote

I tried to reset the LM-1 today using 0Volts=0-AFR and 5Volts=50-AFR in Logworks2 and the system wouldn't allow it. I reset 0V=10 & 5V=20AFR and the read outs in Scan Data were now correct with the PLX PID. I reset in the car with the system on 12 Volts and followed the procedure in Innovate manual, pg 12. The setting didn't change at the end of logging, even after turning the controller off.

mistermike
November 27th, 2005, 12:55 AM
There may be a voltage offset, which is usually due to grounding (earthing) issues. The Logworks indication will not be affected by this. Logworks should track your dyno WB pretty close if both sensors are properly calibrated. The place to look in EFI Live is the actual voltage at the A/D converter in the Flashscan cable. This can easily be observed on the live data page without having to build a gauge for it. This voltage should agree with what you would measure from the analog 2 output of the LC-1 controller using a high precision digital voltmeter which has been properly zeroed out. If there is a discrepancy, first thing to do is to check your grounding, particularly that the signal bearing ground is not connected at the same point as the O2 heater ground. Voltage offsets can be compensated for by altering the LC-1 setpoints and / or tweaking the LC-1 PID in the scan tool.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2489

Copied from LC-1 manual:

8.9 Analog Output tricks/hints
Sometimes there is a ground offset between the device that receives the analog output voltage
and the LC-1. This can be especially true if the System ground is not connected to the same
ground as the measurement device using the analog out. Both devices reference different
grounds and therefore see different voltages. So to compensate for the ground offsets the analog
output voltage points have to be shifted by the ground offsets. To measure what the real ground
offset is, you can program the analog outputs temporarily to output a flat line voltage by entering the same voltage in both fields for the two analog out programming points. This way the analog
output voltage will be fixed, independent of current AFR and can therefore be measured and
compensated for easily.

curtbriggs
November 27th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Mike, thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated. I grew up down the road from you in Canfield.

Cheers, Curt

curtbriggs
November 27th, 2005, 06:21 AM
The ground info from Mistermike was informative except the unit is a standalone sensor used to provide data to the ECU. I wonder if it's ground problems apply to the LM-1.

In the Innovate forum is a link to an article by Klaus that was a very good refresher for automotive electrical system ground problems and causes.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/electrical-grounding.php

Cheers, Curt

WicketMike
December 24th, 2005, 04:59 AM
im having trouble getting my LM-1 to match the AFR commanded.

i put the 0v-10 and 5v-20 and that didnt work.

so now im going to try the 0v-0 and 5v-50 in the LM-1 instead of going into the sae_generic.txt file and changing that formula.

but while i was looking at the sae_generic.txt i noticed it says 0v and 10afr below it and 5v and 30afr below that for the LM-1. is this correct?

Dirk Diggler
December 24th, 2005, 05:09 AM
0-5v 10-20 afr and the formula is v*2+10=afr

WicketMike
December 24th, 2005, 05:25 AM
i did the 0v at 10afr and 5v at 20 afr and changed the formula in the sae_generic.txt from *10 to *2+10 and it still didnt work

Maybe its the formula, im going to put *2)+10 and see if that works

i changed the formula for ad1 and ad2 , where before i only had it changed for ad1

now its working

thanks