PDA

View Full Version : 0411 Recover?

DPS
June 14th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I've tried all of the typical tricks to overcome a "bootloader rejected" situation during a flash.

-Physically disconnect/reconnect in various orders
-Reboot laptop
-Disconnect battery
-Slow charge the battery while flashing to ensure power stability
-Tried a cal flash and a full flash

I've flashed this PCM a number of times without issue. It is now "PCM in unknown state" without a cal on it. I reflashed my personal car without any problems.

I'm just looking for any other suggestions before I send it out for repair. I've considered putting the PCM in my vehicle and trying to flash it to rule out any wiring issues on the customer's vehicle. I currently don't have a bench harness to try it on.

The car is a '93 Firebird with the EFI Connections 0411 swap.

Thanks,
Brad

Tordne
June 14th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Sounding like the PCM has gone bad. EFI Connection also do a really nice (and cost effective) harness if you were interested.

ScarabEpic22
June 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Id try the quick PCM swap into your car and see if it works. Even if the wiring was fine a few days ago, stuff happens and an animal could have eaten through a wire somewhere.

Edit: Andrew got me by a few seconds! Hopefully the PCM isnt dead, but if swapping it over doesnt work it might be the case.

DPS
June 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Sounding like the PCM has gone bad. EFI Connection also do a really nice (and cost effective) harness if you were interested.

I looked at their harnesses and I tend to agree. They are reasonably priced. The only problem I have is removing the PCM everytime I want to update a tune just to be sure it doesn't get fried. I can't imagine this is the norm.

I've had 2 PCMs go bad on me in the last 6 weeks. One was an LT1 PCM while using Jet DST and then this one. I'm starting to get paranoid about it. Trickle charge, closed doors, connection and booting sequences, not breathing..... :)

Tordne
June 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Definitely not the norm. We'd be getting a pretty bad wrap if we were killing PCMs don't you worry. They are just a handy option if you ahve questions about a specific vehicle and want to eliminate any vehicle wiring questions etc.

DPS
June 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
What would you say would be the most likely culprit for a spent PCM?

1. Low battery voltage

2. 0 to 5V analog signal plugged into V2 while flashing

3. LC1 serial connection to V2 while flashing

4. 0 to 5V analog and serial connection while flashing :lookaround:

5. All of the above :angel_innocent:

The reason I ask is because I've had ~6 succesfull flashes on the replacement PCM since I've taken precautions for the things listed above. I think I already know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway. :hihi:

-Brad

Tordne
June 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
The only one that I think sounds reasonable is #1. I'd bet there are hundreds of customers with WBO2 sensors permanently connected and flashing with no issues. For sure if there was an issue I would expect to know about it :) With the LS1 controller as well the PCM "should" really only be killed during the first few seconds (bytes) of a full-flash where the bootloader code is written. A cal only flash that fails should be recoverable.

joecar
June 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm going to guess: #1 plus #2 or #3 or #4... (essentially #5).

Reasoning: wideband is powered up and so helps to speed up #1.