PDA

View Full Version : E38 Brake Switch PID: BBL vs. ScanTool

swingtan
June 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
For some time now I've been logging the brake pedal in the E38 via the BBL PID, BRKR.

In the V2, it displays correctly and indicates when the brake is applied as can be seen here....

Brake Off
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1304/4710853729_f3fb742117.jpg

Brake On
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4710853731_039e146b25.jpg

The thing is though, is that I can't seem to find this PID in ScanTool. I've tried looking everywhere and can't find it in the selected PID list or in the available PID's for charting or gauges. Has anyone actually seen this working in ScanTool or was it missed at some point?

Simon.

Blacky
June 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
GM.BRKR with sub PIDs:

EBPSW "Brake Extended Travel Switch" "Inactive" "Active
BPSW "Cruise/ETC/TCC Brake Switch" "Inactive" "Active
BPA "Brake Pedal Apply" "Inactive" "Active
BPMTF "Brake Pedal Moderate Travel Fault" "Off" "On"
BPMT "Brake Pedal Moderate Travel" "Off" "On"
BPITF "Brake Pedal Initial Travel Fault" "Off" "On"
BPIT "Brake Pedal Initial Travel" "Off" "On"

swingtan
June 18th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Is this an OS specific thing? I certainly don't see any of that in my PID lists. The data is in the raw log file though.....

[PID],37
CALC.BEN1_E38=0
SAE.IAT=0
SAE.AAT=1
SAE.SPARKADV=2
SAE.MAP=3
SAE.VSS=4
GM.ETCTP=5
GM.APP=7
SAE.ECT=9
E38.INVLVTMP_DMA=10
GM.KNKRET=12
E38.OCTSCL_DMA=13
SAE.MAF=15
GM.MAFFREQ2=17
E38.APCYL_DMA=19
SAE.RPM=21
E38.AFRATIO_DMA=23
SAE.CATEMP11=25
SAE.CATEMP21=27
GM.INJPWB2=29
GM.INJPWB1=31
SAE.SHRTFT2=33
SAE.SHRTFT1=34
GM.TRQENG_C=35
GM.HO2S11=37
GM.HO2S12=38
GM.HO2S21=39
GM.HO2S22=40
GM.BRKR=41
EXT.WO2ST1=42
EXT.WO2LAM1=44
EXT.WO2AFR1=46
EXT.WO2EQR1=48
EXT.WO2ST2=50
EXT.WO2LAM2=52
EXT.WO2AFR2=54
EXT.WO2EQR2=56

I'd like to set up a virtual dash that shows the brake application points as I think it would be a great help in circuit racing.

Simon.

Blacky
June 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
You can't chart PIDs that are bit-mapped PIDs. You can add a "status" item to the dashbord and use it to display the bit-mapped PID.
Or you can create a calculated PID to extract just the info you want from that PID and cause it to return a numerical value that can be charted.

For example:

# ================================================== ============================
# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code System Abbr Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

None None "" "No units"

# ================================================== ============================
# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------
*CLC-00-0001
None 0 1 0 "iff({GM.BRKR}&8)=8,1,0)"

*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------

CALC.BRKPEDAL F400 CLC-00-0001 None Brakes Brake pedal active
The expression iff({GM.BRKR}&8)=8,1,0) returns 1 if the 3rd bit is set, otherwise it returns 0. You can tell which bit you want by right clicking on the PID and selecting "More info...". The bits are numbered from top to bottom where the top item is bit 7 and the bottom item is bit 0.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
June 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
So, So close.....

Brake {CALC.BRKPEDAL}

Expression:
= iff({GM.BRKR}&8)=8,1,0)
is NOT valid because:
Unknown parameter {GM.BRKR}, at position 14.

PID value cannot be determined because
the following error would occur:
Expression not valid: Unknown parameter {GM.BRKR}, at position 14.

ANy ideas on this one?

Blacky
June 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM
When you display the list of ALL available PIDs on the F8 tab page do you see the PID GM.BRKR?

You may need to uncheck the "Supported" check box to see it, in case it has been marked unsupported.

Do you see ANY GM.* PIDs? If not, try setting a GM VIN using File->Enter VIN. You only need to specify 1G1xxxxxxxxxxxxxx because EFILive only uses the first 3 characters to determine it it should load the GM enhanced PIDs.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
June 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I see many "GM.*" PIDs but no "GM.BRKR" ( which is what I was actually asking about originally ). I jump from GM.BOXRATIO to GM.CALCVAC_LS2 ( ordered by Parameter ).

Simon

joecar
June 19th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Simon, which scantool build version do you have...?

joecar
June 19th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Paul, do you need to call raw() on bit field pids before calling iff()...?

Blacky
June 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I see many "GM.*" PIDs but no "GM.BRKR" ( which is what I was actually asking about originally ). I jump from GM.BOXRATIO to GM.CALCVAC_LS2 ( ordered by Parameter ).

Simon

Check the date/time stamp on the file: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration\gm_enhanced.prn
It should be May 31, 2010 or later.
With that file version installed on a test PC here, the PID GM.BRKR is available.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
June 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Ahh, now we are on to something! I just tried reinstalling build 117 and the gm_enhanced.prn file is dated 30/03/2010. This seems to have the PID available. I think the updater or the installer may ignore the current Registry settings and not place files in the registry set locations, but default to other locations. Sio even if you select to keep the current settings, it doesn't do that :p. I'll see how I go now. Thanks guys.....

Simon

joecar
June 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Paul, do you need to call raw() on bit field pids before calling iff()...?Paul, don't you need to call raw() on bit field pids before calling iff()...?

Like this: "iff((raw({GM.BRKR})&8)=8,1,0)"

or is that not necessary anymore...?

swingtan
June 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joecar, that answer to that would be "Yes" ;)...... Working pretty good so far.

swingtan
June 19th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Well, it's working pretty well now, thanks again guys. The next challenge would be to have a clutch peddle PID.... I'll see if I can put up a movie of the dash.

swingtan
June 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Here we go.....

Virtual Dash Video... Click me :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEU9Hb8hE1E)

Simon.