PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting my scantool/tuner working

Toxicevo87
June 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hey everyone im new to efilive and just bought a camaro with an ls1. I need help with the setup it wont let me do anything and its telling me i have a demo version what is wrong? I cant even log what is done to the car or any maps. What do i do?

joecar
June 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Toxicevo87, welcome to the forum.

Do you have the blue card that came with your EFILive FlashScan...?

Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

You should still be able to connect to vehicle and scan/log and read the PCM.

From scantool:
- go File->Enter VIN and enter your vin;
- click the green connect button (upper left);
- go Info->Validate PIDs, wait for it to finish;
- goto PIDs tab and select some pids (e.g. VSS, RPM, TP, MAP, MAF, LONGFT1/2, AFR, IAT, ECT);
- goto the Dashboard B tab, should see charts;
- on the charts add the pids you selected in the PIDs tab (in a corner of a chart strip go rightclick->Metric/Imperial/Other PIDs);
- click the green record button (center bottom);
- you should see the chart displaying data;
- when done, click the stop button and save to file;
- goto the MAPs tab and configure/display maps.

Toxicevo87
June 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
When I plug the scan tool in i just get two flashing orange lights and a blank screen..... The programs wont let me in alot of things for some reason. I do have the blue card. I have flashscan v2.

1meangto
June 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds like it's in dead pole. open v8 software and it should tell you to update bootblock

1meangto
June 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4335-Updating-FlashScan-V2-Firmware

try this

joecar
June 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
Yep, dead poll mode... you need to flash in firmware.

What bootblock version do you have.

In stall V7.5.6.117 and V8.1.2.97 software from: here (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133).

Then carefully read the attached doc, and when it makes sense proceed to flash in the firmware (see the table for which firmware is compatible with your current bootblock), and then upgrade to latest bootblock/firmware.

Toxicevo87
June 26th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Ok i got it unlocked and my v2 is updated, Now how do i pull data from my car to my laptop/scan tool?

Toxicevo87
June 26th, 2010, 03:18 AM
When i try to select my pids the info bar wont let me select anything. I tried to enter my vin and i dont know to op system how do i get this sofware to work?

Toxicevo87
June 26th, 2010, 03:21 AM
This is what i get in the console 2:16:29.593: Loading generic configuration file: sae_generic.txt
12:16:29.593: User defined calculated PIDs file: calc_pids.txt
12:16:29.593: Enhanced configuration file: gm_enhanced.prn

joecar
June 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Ok i got it unlocked and my v2 is updated, Now how do i pull data from my car to my laptop/scan tool?Which build versions of V7 and V8 software do you now have...?

Which version of bootblock and firmware is in your V2 now...?

joecar
June 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM
When i try to select my pids the info bar wont let me select anything. I tried to enter my vin and i dont know to op system how do i get this sofware to work?From the scantool...?

Are you on the PIDs tab...? Uncheck "Supported". Post a screenshot.

You can ignore the OS.

joecar
June 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM
This is what i get in the console 2:16:29.593: Loading generic configuration file: sae_generic.txt
12:16:29.593: User defined calculated PIDs file: calc_pids.txt
12:16:29.593: Enhanced configuration file: gm_enhanced.prnIn the Console tab, copy all the text (do rightclick->SelectAll followed by rightclick->Copy), and paste it here.

Toxicevo87
June 27th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I have v8 now, i also have the newest bootblock and firmware now. I figured out how to log now. How can i post my log ? Im sorry everyone for beeing such a newb. Can i log while its in park just running? I just ordered a new tranny from speedinc.com mine held up for four days...lol i ordered the level four strip trans anyone have any experience with them?

joecar
June 27th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Ok, cool... so you're logging with your laptop connected to V2 connected to vehicle... :cheers:

no worries, everyone is/was a newb... :)

Yes, you can log in Park with engine running (actually you can log with key on engine off, but it won't be very interesting).

Also, with V8 software comes two programs: EFILive Explorer (EE) and Scan&Tune (S&T).

joecar
June 27th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Have a look at this thread (posts #4 and #6): showthread.php?13836-New-V2-help-find-exlporer&highlight=Explorer (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13836-New-V2-help-find-exlporer&highlight=Explorer)

Post #4 lists what EE and S&T are used for.

Post #6 shows pictorially how to program your V2 for BBL and BBF.

black box mode = laptop/PC is not required while at vehicle (i.e. the operation is to/from the SD card in the V2).

BBL = black block logging

BBW = black box flashing, which consists of BBR and BBW:
BBR = reading calibration from PCM
BBW = writing calibration to PCM

Toxicevo87
June 28th, 2010, 11:13 AM
ok im not sure if i have the black box how do i tell? also im not sure if i have the ee where do i get it?

joecar
June 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
From the desktop go:
start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Explorer
start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Scan and Tune

If you installed V8 (which includes flashing your V2 with the latest bootblock/firmware) then you have BB abilities.

From the other thread:

Yes, EE and S&T comes with V8.

EE is used for:
- flashing bootblock/firmware into V2,
- formatting the Config space on V2,
- setting V2 splash screen and date/time,
- retrieving BBL and BBR files,
- uploading BBW (.ctd) files.

S&T is used for:
- setting/programming V2 options,
- creating/setting/programming V2 BBL pids/pidlists,
- creating/setting/programming V2 BBR/BBW modules (PCM, ECM, TCM).

To configure BB see this: BBL/BBF screenshots (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13836-New-V2-help-find-exlporer&p=123595&viewfull=1#post123595).

Toxicevo87
June 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks man i think i got it, so from ee i can pull the tune from my car by selecting the read button on the bottem left?

joecar
June 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
No... the Read button in S&T reads the configured Settings/Options from your V2.

Buttons:
Read = read Settings/Options from your V2 (i.e. that were previously programmed into your V2),
Open = open file on your PC that contains Settings/Options,
Save = save to file on your PC the Settings/Options currently displayed,
Program = program your V2 with the Settings/Options currently displayed.

The sequence of pictures is to configure your V2 for BBL and BBF (BBR/W)...

After configuring your V2 using S&T, take it to your car and read the calibration from the PCM.

Then take your V2 back to your PC and use EE to copy the file to your PC.

joecar
June 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
i.e. the reading or writing of the PCM is done by pressing some buttons on the V2 keypad/LCD.

Or, if you have your laptop in your car, open the tunetool and go Flash->Read PCM.

joecar
June 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Make two more posts so you can pm your phone number to me.

Toxicevo87
June 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
ok i will

Toxicevo87
July 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
what are some good shift points ?

joecar
July 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
WOT shift points have to occur before rev limiter.

You get fastest 1/4 mile time/speed if you set WOT shift points at highest rpm without hitting rev limiter.

PCM requires 2 conditions to be met: VSS is above WOT MPH, and engine rpm is above WOT RPM.

Set one of those (WOT MPH) to activate at a lower rpm than your intended shift point, then set the other (WOT RPM) to your intended shift point... and then test it, you will have to fine tune it by reducing one or both.

Example: say you want to shift at 6000 rpm (say this corresponds to 40 mph)... then you set the WOT 1->2 point to 35 mph and 5800 rpm, take a test drive and observe the actual shift rpm, make changes, repeat.

A higher stall converter will cause the shift to happen above your intended rpm, you have to play with this further.

joecar
July 14th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Part throttle shift points

At PT the upshift progression should feel natural, and the quickness of the succession depends on throttle position:
- light throttle: upshifts should occur quickly, downshifts require much more throttle, higher gears should be held.
- heavy throttle: upshifts should be delayed, lower gears should be held longer, downshifts should occur easily.

If the PT up/down shift curves are wrong, the upshifts will "feel" very strange with either shortshifting or hanging.

Usually the stock PT tables are good, you may make minor edits (e.g. by changing low throttle shift points you may be able to avoid axle backlash clunk).

joecar
July 14th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Throttle kickdown tables:

Set these to 100% all across otherwise they interfere the PT up/down tables.

More info: showthread.php?3336-No-Kickdown (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3336-No-Kickdown)