PDA

View Full Version : Why can "professionals" tune a car within 1 hour?

n8dogg
June 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
What am I missing? We have a tune shop locally that tunes LSx and other GM engines (I think with HPT). From what I understand its a dyno tune and you are in and out in about an hour. I think to my self, how is that possible?

I can only guess they are making minor changes and are not using WB02. Nor are they logging on the street. Could they be just using generic tunes they keep on file? :sly:

Chevy366
June 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Probably just doing WOT timing , only takes about a hour to do that. ;-)

Redline Motorsports
June 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I used to tune cars in a hour too..................but now that I know how to properly calibrate an engine it takes between 2-4 hours! VE work on a load controlled dyno takes sometime.WOT stuff is quick.

Unless you have a stocker with bolt ons.........I don't see a great calibration happening in an hour.

1meangto
June 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Yes they have generic tunes. or they just pull segments out of a good tune they've done.
They in most cases tune ltft's to 0 or close with their IFR tables.
I've worked at big shops that won't do much to take your money.
And yes wot and timing. Oh also turn off any engine diag that they don't know how to fix.

n8dogg
June 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I used to tune cars in a hour too..................but now that I know how to properly calibrate an engine it takes between 2-4 hours! VE work on a load controlled dyno takes sometime.WOT stuff is quick.

Unless you have a stocker with bolt ons.........I don't see a great calibration happening in an hour.
Hey, a customer of mine (Ken) and his buddy with a C5 Red Z06 drove down to you not too long ago for some work. Ken raved about your shop and how clean it was. It was his comments about you guys and your shop that encouraged me to get my feet wet in the Tuning world. I was almost going to email you guys to see if you would mind if I came down for a day to learn some things, but I figured if you were as busy as my Corvette shop I would be in the way!

Yes they have generic tunes. or they just pull segments out of a good tune they've done.
They in most cases tune ltft's to 0 or close with their IFR tables.
I've worked at big shops that won't do much to take your money.
And yes wot and timing. Oh also turn off any engine diag that they don't know how to fix.

A customer of mine came to me because he couldn't get his vette into reverse. Long story short, the guys he had tune his car accidentally locked his reverse solenoid. For two years he drove the car having to force the transmission into reverse!