PDA

View Full Version : Expected gain after auto VE / MAF??

maudyZ28
June 29th, 2010, 06:07 AM
hi all,

just a simple one really, what can i expect to gain in terms of drivability after investing in a WB and doing an auto VE and auto MAF correctly them running open loop. I done the calcVE base on narrow bands but still cannot check fueling accuratly. I had a dynapack dyno a week back and put down 326 ps @5262 at the wheels, I know dynos are not the best but this was on stock tune and the car runs 12.9s when i can get a better than 2.0 0-60ft time

The question is should I invest in a WB for £140 or import myself a 3.42/3.73 ration LSD for £300 (current stock 2.73 ratio). Will I 'feel' most in the seat of my pants with the diff or a correct tune?? I will do both eventually but could afford the WB this month and Diff in a couple??

WeathermanShawn
June 29th, 2010, 06:35 AM
None.

It like having an Airbag and seat-belt in your car. Those only work in a wreck and do not effect your daily driving at all. A wideband is insurance against detonation and a tool to allow precise tuning of your WOT fueling. From the factory these cars are tuned very rich (COTP) and spark advance is modest. Spark knock, Burst Knock, Adaptive Spark control keep fuel and spark in check.

As soon as modify your vehicle and tune, the power gains you seek will always be limited by detonation. A car tuned to maximum performance will normally see gains of 15-25 HP by proper fueling and spark. If your car is already there, you see see zero gains.

No serious tuner would ever consider a wideband optional. Especially if you are utilizing the track.

If it is just a money issue, I am sure someone can package up a good deal for you. A new engine cost $4000-10,000 U.S. dollars. A wideband is a must have tool.

You can ask the question in numerous ways, but the answer will aways be the same. You need a wideband for WOT fueling and to verify stoich AFR.

Good luck..

joecar
June 29th, 2010, 07:06 AM
With the wideband you will be able to see whether your factory tune is spot on or whether it is out and by how much.

You may or may not gain some output depending on what you see and any correction derived/applied from there.

You don't know what time it is without a watch, you don't know hot it is without a thermometer.

Chevy366
June 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
hi all,

just a simple one really, what can i expect to gain in terms of drivability after investing in a WB and doing an auto VE and auto MAF correctly them running open loop. I done the calcVE base on narrow bands but still cannot check fueling accuratly. I had a dynapack dyno a week back and put down 326 ps @5262 at the wheels, I know dynos are not the best but this was on stock tune and the car runs 12.9s when i can get a better than 2.0 0-60ft time

The question is should I invest in a WB for £140 or import myself a 3.42/3.73 ration LSD for £300 (current stock 2.73 ratio). Will I 'feel' most in the seat of my pants with the diff or a correct tune?? I will do both eventually but could afford the WB this month and Diff in a couple??
Wow 2.73 , yeah the 3.42/3.73 would help quite a bit , yow 2.73 , load off the line . :grin:
Gears +1

maudyZ28
June 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
thanks guys,

Shawn, yeah I put the tune back to stock for the dyno and stuff as i dont trust my narrowbands with the headers in now, so richer is safer, and im not getting knock so thats good. Its not a case of money I have it, but i'm limiting my spending, saving for when i have some responsabilities :) just allow 150 each month at most for a treat if its a good month

Joe, I know the stock map as I said before in other posts on the 99 camaro is commanding 11.7 in PE without added fuel in cat protection. But I would say timing is very aggressive ompared to 2000+ models, mine runs a full 28 deg at 5000+ rpm

chevy366, hahah, it gets off the line suprisingy well, 0-60 mph in 5.2 sec timed with RADAR (before exhaust) but its too long gearing 1st does 54mph, 2nd goes to 97mph and 3rd maxes out at 165mph , dont talk about 4th hahah.