PDA

View Full Version : looking for some help.

JDB
July 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
First off, how do and sorry to be a little long winded. I am not new to EFILive V4 nor is my van but I have had a problem lately.

The van is a 1995 Olds Silhouette with an L27 3.8 V6, I use the 1995 Lumina APV .xml file. It is the OBD1/2 hybrid and uses the OBD 1 connector.

I bought my cable, a usb/obd1 cable from aldlcable about a year and a half ago. I used EFILive V4 pro with no problems on my Gateway laptop running Windows XP home.

A few months ago, I bought a new laptop with Windows 7, I installed EFILive V4 pro and tried to use it with my van and got this:

50:09.002: Initialising...
50:10.552: Opening COM2 8228,8,N,1
50:11.137: Ready.
50:18.455: Start macro: TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 00: DATADTC_00
50:18.692: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
50:18.920: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
50:19.146: Com timeout: Expecting frame header byte
50:19.151: Resuming normal ALDL communications...
50:19.169: Stop macro: TRANSMIT FIXED DATA STREAM MESSAGE 00: DATADTC_00

I've tried numerous different configurations to no avail. I was unable to install the drivers for my cable from the CD that came with my cable because my computer is a netbook and I have no external cd-rom yet. I was able to copy the drivers off my old gateway and install them though. I even tried my gateway but I formatted the harddrive and reinstalled XP and the drivers, I am getting the same message with it now as well.

Did my cable somehow get damaged by using it with my new laptop? I can use it just fine with WINALDL on my 1991 S10 Blazer, but EFILive freezes up when I tried to use it with the 160 BAUD Blazer, it did so when I first used it as well so i just continued to use WINALDL.

Any help will be appreciated.

JDB
July 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM
a day and a half and nothing? I see my time and money was wasted. Other programs are available, I guess.

WeathermanShawn
July 6th, 2010, 05:11 AM
OP:

You have had a U.S. Holiday Weekend. Not a lot of readers on. Plus your problem sounds very unique.

Why not just contact Support..http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=114

Regards..

ScarabEpic22
July 6th, 2010, 06:50 AM
It was the 4th of July and lots of people (myself included) had the 5th off work as well. I try to get away from internet on holidays as I practically camp on it mon-fri.

Have you used compatibilty mode with windows 7? Like right click the EFILive V4 .exe, properties, compatibilty, check box and set for either Win XP or 98? Lots of little quirks can be fixed doing this. Do you have the COM ports setup properly? No your cable didnt get damaged using the new laptop, unless something really really strange happened (very unlikely). Im not a V4 expert, but it looks like the vehicle isnt responding to the data commands.

joecar
July 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
a day and a half and nothing? I see my time and money was wasted. Other programs are available, I guess.I notified Tech Support.

It has been a holiday long weekend, and I must have missed your post when I viewed new posts about 12 hours ago, so I do apologize.

Support responses are usually within a day.

Tordne
July 6th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Windows 7 is not a specifically supported platform for EFILive V4. Trying the XP Compatibility mode is a very good suggestion and if it works great...

It is good that the cable, vehicle definition and software have been proven on another computer previously. On your previous setup would you have had the BAUD rate set at 8228? The OBDI/ALDL spec is 8192 so it could be that 8228 is just that little bit too fast. Do you still have the XP laptop to validate settings against?

Blacky
July 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
50:10.552: Opening COM2 8228,8,N,1

Is COM2 really the COM port that the cable is connected to? Sometimes laptops allocate a COM port to the internal modem.
Check in Control Panel->System->Device Manager->Ports (COM & LPT)

Regards
Paul