PDA

View Full Version : I give up.

Devil_Z
July 8th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I purchased efi live about 2 months ago and since have spent well over 10 hours in my truck disconnecting batteries, pulling fuses, unplugging my stereo, and all other kinds of bullshit to try and get this tune off of my truck and saved onto the laptop with absolutely zero success. It is always saying either the bootloader is rejected or it will start to download somewhere between 5k and 71k and stop. Pretty much feel like I wasted $1k. :mad:

Truck is a '05 lly

WeathermanShawn
July 8th, 2010, 07:57 AM
A more mature way of posting might be just to ask for help.

Quitting won't gain you any respect. Usually things that are worthwhile are always going to be initially challenging.

Why not just post what difficulties you are having. We have all probably had them. That is how you get help..

ScarabEpic22
July 8th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Just ask for help man, we cant help if you dont ask for it.

First, what FS (V1 or V2)? If its a V2, do you have the absolute latest software downloaded? Look here: EFILive July 5th release (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13991-July-05-2010-Pre-release&p=125092#post125092) and download BOTH V7 and V8 if you have a V2, you need the firmware in the V8 download. If you have a V1, just the V7 download is ok.

If you have a V2 then you'll need to upgrade the bootblock and firmware to the latest. Also, have you tried a different laptop to pull the tune? Has your truck ever had a handheld used on it or a Bullydog that goes in-line with the engine harness?

GAMEOVER
July 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Don't give up, make sure you have the latest updates...:)
I agree with Eric, if your truck has a piggytail harness programmer like(Bullydog e.t.c) it will never work, especially with LLY Diesel's...They are sensitive.

Devil_Z
July 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Just ask for help man, we cant help if you dont ask for it.

First, what FS (V1 or V2)? If its a V2, do you have the absolute latest software downloaded? Look here: EFILive July 5th release (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13991-July-05-2010-Pre-release&p=125092#post125092) and download BOTH V7 and V8 if you have a V2, you need the firmware in the V8 download. If you have a V1, just the V7 download is ok.

If you have a V2 then you'll need to upgrade the bootblock and firmware to the latest. Also, have you tried a different laptop to pull the tune? Has your truck ever had a handheld used on it or a Bullydog that goes in-line with the engine harness?I just reinstalled everything onto a friends laptop yesterday since mine stopped working. I redownloaded the V7.5 and V8.1 or w/e. As far as the firmware goes heres what I did (just a few mins ago) i plugged the controller into the laptop and held the ctrl button then opened the efi live explorer clicked the firmware tab and hit browse. Now I have bootblock V2.06.02 and firmware V2.06.35. Are these the most up-to-date versions? I used to have a bullydog gt but i had completely uninstalled it and sold to a friend.

Tordne
July 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Bootblock 2.06.03 is the latest, 2.06.35 is the latest firmware. See this guide (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7243-SFGL-2949) for bootblock and firmware update guidance.

The latest software versions are 7.5.6 Build 125 and 8.1.2 Build 105 (pre-releases) and are available here (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133).

The LLY can be a bit particular. I'm aware that a lot of people have to pull the radio and info fuses.

If you are all up to date and still have issues see this guide (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=8254-QOGC-9586) and send through the associated debug (just one file please).

Cheers,

Devil_Z
July 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Bootblock 2.06.03 is the latest, 2.06.35 is the latest firmware. See this guide (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7243-SFGL-2949) for bootblock and firmware update guidance.

The latest software versions are 7.5.6 Build 125 and 8.1.2 Build 105 (pre-releases) and are available here (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133).

The LLY can be a bit particular. I'm aware that a lot of people have to pull the radio and info fuses.

If you are all up to date and still have issues see this guide (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=8254-QOGC-9586) and send through the associated debug (just one file please).

Cheers,Alright I've made sure I have all the updated versions now.

Devil_Z
July 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Alright this is starting to get pretty damn ridiculous. Spent about another 1 1/2 hours, made sure every software and firmware was up to date. Unplugged the stereo tried to do it, let the truck run for 15 mins then try. I even disconnected the batteries and touched the ends together to "ground out any static", but once again, every time it gets stuck on the downloading screen. This is starting to seem like an impossible task.

GMPX
July 9th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Where are you located?
It would be an interesting test to see if someone else with EFILive can read your truck (or you can read someone else's), do you have access to any other GM vehicles you might be able to read?
Our software has been programming LLY trucks for many years, we know these can be quite temperamental, but majority of the time when people have issues like you are it's to do with an after market device on the vehicle data bus causing the problem. So can you confirm you don't have some sort of iPod adaptor, XM radio adaptor fitted to the truck? Sometimes these are connected to the vehicle data bus and cause all sorts of problems.
Just one other thing to try, uncheck the high speed box on the read screen. EFILive puts the ECM in a high speed communications mode when reading the ECM, if there is a module on the truck that doesn't also switch to high speed mode (a lot of after market stuff won't) then it will cause the read (and flash) to fail early on. If it's in Low speed then it might work, but this is not ideal because obviously it's slow!. But, at this stage we are really just working towards narrowing down where your problem is.
I appreciate it's frustrating, but just chill a little, we'll figure out the problem for you.

Cheers
Ross

Devil_Z
July 9th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Where are you located?
It would be an interesting test to see if someone else with EFILive can read your truck (or you can read someone else's), do you have access to any other GM vehicles you might be able to read?
Our software has been programming LLY trucks for many years, we know these can be quite temperamental, but majority of the time when people have issues like you are it's to do with an after market device on the vehicle data bus causing the problem. So can you confirm you don't have some sort of iPod adaptor, XM radio adaptor fitted to the truck? Sometimes these are connected to the vehicle data bus and cause all sorts of problems.
Just one other thing to try, uncheck the high speed box on the read screen. EFILive puts the ECM in a high speed communications mode when reading the ECM, if there is a module on the truck that doesn't also switch to high speed mode (a lot of after market stuff won't) then it will cause the read (and flash) to fail early on. If it's in Low speed then it might work, but this is not ideal because obviously it's slow!. But, at this stage we are really just working towards narrowing down where your problem is.
I appreciate it's frustrating, but just chill a little, we'll figure out the problem for you.

Cheers
RossWell I had no problem copying the TCM out of my truck and I have yet to try efi on my z06. I don't know of anyone here (Savannah, Ga) with efi on their trucks, much less a 2005 lly. As far as aftermarket mods, the only non performance mod I have done to my truck is a stereo/amp which I've tried running the software w/and w/out the stereo and its fuses plugged in and I always uncheck the highspeed setting and put it on the other one. :help2: Lol

WeathermanShawn
July 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Isn't Marcin (RedHardSupra) in Charleston, SC?

I don't know if he does trucks..but is there anything he doesn't know?

Isn't that just a few hours drive at most?

ScarabEpic22
July 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Devil, try pulling the tune out of your Z06 and let us know. Since you can grab the TCM file from your truck Im thinking there's something wired to the ECM harness thats messing up your comms. Have you tried disconnecting your HU and any adapters it uses? Know its a pain, but even without fuses/power they can still mess stuff up. Ive spent 45+ min before on the side of the road trying to get a tune to flash back in.

n8dogg
July 9th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I had a similar problem. I asked for help nicely and followed everyone suggestions. It was the firmware in my scan tool. Works perfect now!

killerbee
July 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I suggested that you use a battery charger, while reading. Have you done that?

joecar
July 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Devil_Z,

Do you have V7.5.6.125 and V8.1.2.105 installed...?

Did you flash 2.6.35 specifically from the V8.1.2.105 install...?

(there are several beta 2.6.35 firmware files... each time you install a new V8 software build you need to flash in the new 2.6.35)

NMDuramax
July 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I had this same problem when I first tried to do my download. I have a 2005 LLY too and I learned that hard way after i tried several times to do the same thing you are. Neither EFI Live or the GM Tech II will do anything with the databus unless the "15 amp Radio" fuse is pulled under the hood on the drivers side with an aftermarket stereo that has its own bus. After I did that I have had no issues doing downloads or tunes as long as I pull that fuse.

killerbee
July 10th, 2010, 02:12 PM
That is the power draw issue that is remedied with the battery charger. Which can also be caused by poor battery charge, hvac fan, etc.

Racehemi
August 4th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I had some really weird issues on an LLY that once had a BullyDog tune installed.... sounds like you need to have someone with a TechII reflash it using a fresh calibration file. A Full Flash using the V2 may work also but you will need the stock tune.

Cougar281
August 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I had this same problem when I first tried to do my download. I have a 2005 LLY too and I learned that hard way after i tried several times to do the same thing you are. Neither EFI Live or the GM Tech II will do anything with the databus unless the "15 amp Radio" fuse is pulled under the hood on the drivers side with an aftermarket stereo that has its own bus. After I did that I have had no issues doing downloads or tunes as long as I pull that fuse.

Is this a 2005 specific thing? I've never pulled any fuses at all in my 04 LLY (now LBZ) and I've never even had the slightest problem reading, flashing, etc with with my V1, V2 or Tech2.

bballer182
August 5th, 2010, 01:08 PM
from what i've heard it kind of a hit n miss type of deal. some it's a problem and some it's not...

NMDuramax
August 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Yea i have heard and experienced the same thing. I had an 04 Chevy 6.0 before the truck I have now and I bought it brand new and couldnt tune in High speed at all so I know it wasnt the tune.