PDA

View Full Version : I hate to be a PIA but same problem?

slows10
July 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have all the updates I believe. I have a 1998 S10 with the Ln2 4 cylinder. Yesterday morning I flashed to the pcm fine. 4 hours later it says it cant read my pcm and it says my os number is for a 1997 camaro. Same problem I had last week. Paul (blacky) had me install the pre release update and I did. Everything was fine for 4 or 5 days. I tried all the quick fixes ,restarted my computer , cycle my key.Doesnt help. Plus I have to disconnect my battery to get it to start running again after the failed flash attempt causes the truck to run but then stall 3 seconds later. Anymore suggestions. thanks.

joecar
July 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Did you have any attempted engine start that didn't fire up (i.e. engine bump over)...? If you do this and you don't turn the key back to off, this will initiate the BCM-PCM security relearn, and requires 3 interations of 10 minutes each... is this what you're seeing...?

slows10
July 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Yes joe come to think of it I had a failed start . And I probably didnt turn the key to the off position. The security light was on also. But after I disconnect the battery for 30 seconds the truck will start up again. But I still cant read to my pcm. Thanks

slows10
July 12th, 2010, 08:16 PM
What do you mean by the 3 interations of 10 minsutes each?

joecar
July 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
What do you mean by the 3 interations of 10 minsutes each?Once the security relearn is initiated (bumping engine without letting it start), the security light goes on for about 10 minutes and then flashes and/or turns off, this is one complete iteration...

the BCM requires a total of 3 iterations (bump, 10 minutes, bump, 10 minutes, bump, 10 minutes) before it finalizes the relearn, and then it allows engine start.

On the first engine bump (an unintentional bump since you were trying to start engine), you can abort the relearn initiation by cycling the key to off before attempting another engine start... once relearn is initiated, the BCM will not allow engine start until 3 iterations have completed.

Blacky
July 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
it says it cant read my pcm and it says my os number is for a 1997 camaro. Same problem I had last week.
Can you find the relevant *.blx file (as per this page: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=121)
Send it to me at paul@efilive.com and include a link to this thread so I know what its about.

Regards
Paul

slows10
July 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Should I perform a full reflash of the pcm calibration. This is what the program is saying I might need to do, so that efi live can generate its own unique serial number. It is unable to read my number.

slows10
July 15th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Also the date on my firmware says may 3, 2010 is this correct?

Tordne
July 15th, 2010, 05:38 AM
There are/were many versions releaed as 2.06.35 during beta (so they could be downgraded if required). The latest release of the 2.06.35 firmware is 30 June 2010 which was included in the 05 July pre-release.

slows10
July 15th, 2010, 06:06 AM
So then my firmware date is incorrect then? It says may 3 2010 . It should read June 30 2010.

Tordne
July 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Well, it was the latest as at that date :)

Right now we recommend running the pre-release version:
- 7.5.6 Build 125
- 8.1.2 Build 105 (which includes the 2.06.35 firmware)

If you are already running a version of 2.06.35 you will need to update the firmware using the EFILive Explorer firmware tab (Hapi won't consider it an update as the version is the same).

slows10
July 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I am running 7.5.6 Build 125 and also 8.1.2 Build 105 So Im up to date. Ive been running this new release since it first came out. It worked fine for 5 days then it decided it didnt want to recognize my o/s.

Blacky
July 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
So then my firmware date is incorrect then? It says may 3 2010 . It should read June 30 2010.
Yes.

But as I asked earlier, if you send me the appropriate blx files it would be much easier for me to help you get this problem sorted out.
Regards
Paul

slows10
July 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Paul I emailed the blx files to you. You should have them now. Sorry for the delay. Thanks, Keith

GMPX
July 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Can you please Email me your .tun file? (send it to support@efilive.com)
I am going to flash an exact duplicate of your tune in to a PCM here and see if we can duplicate the problem. I've tested flashing on 3 different 4cyl PCM's and they seemed to flash ok.

Cheers,
Ross

slows10
July 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
just sent the tune file to ross. and sent the upload blx file to paul. Thanks for the help. Keith

slows10
July 22nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Any updates ross?

slows10
July 23rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I dont know what to do? I dont think there is anything major wrong with my truck. Ive got a horn relay DTC. I think thats from the Bcm not the Pcm. Also I have an intermittent airbag light on. But no codes show up for it. Ross tells me he flashed my tune into a pcm he has there and it worked 5 times. Does that mean my pcm is bad? Should I buy a new pcm and try that?

Blacky
July 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'm still investigating a possible solution.I should have some more info for you later today.

Regards
Paul

slows10
July 23rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Alright, Thanks Keith

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I know this is a piece of crap pcm,and you guys have long forgotten about it. I know you are busy. but whats the problem here?

GMPX
July 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure what else we can do. I have duplicated all failure situations here and each time the PCM seems to be able to be reflash ok.

You can see in this case I deliberately interrupted the flash, EFILive couldn't not pick up the OS number once that happened, recommended a Full flash, but because I had the correct file I was able to flash in the correct tune with a cal only.

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
How is it that you dont think you can help anymore? The first day I took this out of the box it did not work. Paul came out with the first july 05 prerelease a day or 2 later. He said try this, I did it worked for 4 days then did the same thing and didnt work. When it flashes it says it cant find my os number, it generates an os from a 1997 camaro. Im sure my truck has an os number, in fact we all saw it when it was working for 4 days. My truck is not a 1997 camaro and I dont think its telling efi live it is. So im to believe there is a problem with efi live. Wouldnt you think that. My ecm has set values in it. I dont think it has the ability to basically lie to efilive. We know its not lying because when the software worked after the update we saw the correct vin and os number.

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
When I try to flash, at the end when it fails it says to try full flashing a new os number into the ecm. Do you not recommend this?

Blacky
July 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
When I try to flash, at the end when it fails it says to try full flashing a new os number into the ecm. Do you not recommend this?

You mean you have not tried that yet? I thought you had tried that but that it did not work.

In that particular PCM type, the missing* operating system number can only be "side-stepped" by performing a full-flash.
* The operating system number in that particular PCM is stored in the calibration area, so each time you perform a cal-flash the OS number is erased and is re-programmed by EFILive. If the reprogramming is interrupted or fails in some way the OS number is lost. You must full-flash the PCM to restore the OS number.

Regards
Paul

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I asked about that last week but got no answer. If we have to talk guys I think we need to do it in this thread. Ross and I are exchanging pm's now. Im starting to figure out that you guys probably are not in the same office.LOL Thats part of the reason why alot of this got screwed up. To hard to talk to three guys in 3 different locations, at the same time, like last week.

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Ive got great mech ability and got engine theory down fine. Tuning will be fairly easy as I understand what all the parameters do. Its all the software computer programmer talk I dont get. Like communications and protocols and what ever blah blah I dont get. I never flashed anything in my life. I thought I buy the efilive program and what im paying for is the ability to access my pcm and reprogram it. I didnt know I needed some kind of software or hardware degree to access my pcm. Now if there is a problem with my bcm , I didnt know it because I checked for dtc's and had none. But If someone tells me where I can find this star connector so i can isolate the bcm and other modules from the pcm so I dont get an interuption during the reflash that would be great. If I have a problem somewhere I need to find it before I do a full reflash , or can I try to do the full reflash anyway. Since I dont even know if my truck was the problem. Thanks

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Im not sure if I said it or it doesnt even matter but I purchased efilive only 3 weeks ago. My truck has never been reflashed . And Ive never had any electrical problems with it. This 98 s10 is also a transitional year for GM its the first year they put this bus system under the hood. I believe this is a funky setup. its also the first year with the LS style 80 pin connecter pcm

GMPX
July 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Not only in a different office, different countries :doh2:

Try what I suggested in my last PM and then reply back here, much easier for everyone to read along in the same spot.
Oh, I don't know where the Star connector is on those vehicles.

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I have been reading on this forum for a week straight. looking at the different little problems people have with aftermarket radios and stuff. I dont have any thing like that. But I do believe its in the bcm connection somewhere. I actually pulled the bcm fuse out and was gonna reflash it but I chickened out because I thought I might screw something up.

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Ok so you are saying I dont need to do a FULL REFLASH before I pull the bcm fuse. Just try pullin the fuse first.

slows10
July 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM
So if this was on a bench being reflashed, chances are it would not ever get interupted provided the power supply was good? Because there is no bcm or any other electronics to interupt it?

joecar
July 25th, 2010, 06:05 PM
So if this was on a bench being reflashed, chances are it would not ever get interupted provided the power supply was good? Because there is no bcm or any other electronics to interupt it?Yes, because on the bench there are no other modules to chatter on the bus.

Blacky
July 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Ok so you are saying I dont need to do a FULL REFLASH before I pull the bcm fuse. Just try pullin the fuse first.
You can pull the fuse of any other module that may be interfering including the BCM, radio and/or on-star. No other module needs to be (or should be) active while flashing the engine controller. That is why as a last resort you should always be able to bench-flash your controller. Cabling details can be found here: http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Bench%20Harness%20Tutorial.pdf

Regards
Paul

slows10
July 26th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Is it ok to flash with a battery charger? If this is ok, what setting do you recommend? 2 amp- 10 amp etc. I thought I read on the forum somewhere it was ok, but I would like to hear it again. Thanks.

GMPX
July 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM
You shouldn't need to do a full flash, just pull the BCM fuse and try a normal calibration flash, just make sure (which I guess it is) the file you are going to flash is from that PCM.
There is no need for a battery charger.

slows10
July 27th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Well it worked.I guess it was pullin the BCM fuse that worked, but I also pulled the radio/ignition fuse. During my previous failed attempts at flashing I had pulled that radio/ignition fuse 10 times with no luck. And as I said in a previous post I had the bcm fuse in my hand but decided to put it back in right before I flashed. I read this forum top to bottom and I honestly dont remember reading where to remove the bcm fuse. Maybe I missed that one. More than likely its my lack of smarts on how the pcm talks to the bcm, and then to efilive. I also misunderstood how the os number gets read, and how it generated the 97 camaro os number. I had it stuck in my head that there was a problem with my V2. Thanks Blacky and GMPX for your efforts. Its why I chose Efilive in the first place. Keith

Blacky
July 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm glad its finally working.

The confusion the software had about your vehicle being a 97 Camaro is caused by the following scenario:

The 97/98 F and Y bodies (Corvettes and Camaros) do not return an operating system number when requested. When EFILive gets a non-response to an operating system request it assumes that the target vehicle is a 97/98 F/Y body. To determine which, it looks at the VIN and tries to analyze the various components of the VIN to make a determination. If it still can't resolve it from the VIN, it defaults to a 97 Camaro.
In hindsight the software should not default to 97 Camaro - it should just state that it can't determine the PCM type and allow you to tell it what the PCM type is.

Your particular PCM will not return an operating system number once the re-flash process has failed. Now that the re-flash process is finally working and has completed successfully the PCM will return a valid operating system number.
You will probably notice the software making the 97 Camaro mistake again if you ever have another re-flash failure - at least until you get a good flash to complete.

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
July 28th, 2010, 05:10 AM
The confusion the software had about your vehicle being a 97 Camaro is caused by the following scenario:

The 97/98 F and Y bodies (Corvettes and Camaros) do not return an operating system number when requested. When EFILive gets a non-response to an operating system request it assumes that the target vehicle is a 97/98 F/Y body. To determine which, it looks at the VIN and tries to analyze the various components of the VIN to make a determination. If it still can't resolve it from the VIN, it defaults to a 97 Camaro.
In hindsight the software should not default to 97 Camaro - it should just state that it can't determine the PCM type and allow you to tell it what the PCM type is.

Hmm, maybe something to implement when V8 is fully done? :D

Glad to hear its working now, Ive never had to pull the BCM fuse on a P10 flash before but have been close to doing so. Radio is a must if its not factory, and even for some factory setups it is (LLYs come to mind).

slows10
August 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I thought I would update for those who may search in the future. It has flashed fine ever since this thread died 4 weeks ago. But I just wanted to say that the only fuse I have to pull to flash the pcm is the ABS fuse. Thats it . Seems strange. I can leave the BCM fuse the SIR fuse the radio fuse etc. So when we were able to figure this out I just basically pulled like every important fuse to finally get it to flash. But since then Ive taken one less fuse out each time to see if it would flash or not and the at the end the only fuse left was the ABS fuse. I dont know it just seemed strange thought I would pass my findings along. Keith

joecar
August 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Keith, thanks for the follow up.