PDA

View Full Version : Guide: How to flash the ECM with handheld: V2: BB

Abdulla
July 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hello All,

I prepared a guide (attached) for those who want to flash their ECM/PCM with EFILIVE handheld device (V2) which is being refered to "BBF-(Black Box Flashing)"

I hope I didn't miss or overlook anything in the guide. And I do appologize for any incorrect english sentences structure or grammer mistakes.

Thanks to "joecar" for the help and motivation provided to me.

Regards,

joecar
July 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Abdulla,

Good job, thanks for the effort... has pictures to go with the text, this is a good feature :cheers:

We can get people's review comments and integrate them into the doc.

I can convert it to .pdf when everyone is happy with it.

Abdulla
July 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Joecar for your kind words. There is a say here but I really don't know the correct english translation for it, it means "What you give to others, is not anymore yours"....~ "It is more blessed to give than to receive"- Acts 20:35 KJ version

The file is yours ^_^

GAMEOVER
July 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Good work Abdulla! Very easy to understand...:good:

5.7ute
July 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Nice work Abdulla.

joecar
July 15th, 2010, 06:33 PM
When we put it in pdf form, it will list your name as the author, that's only fair. :)

joecar
July 29th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Here is a preliminary pdf.

WeathermanShawn
July 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Very good job guys!

Always good to see people get involved...:)

joecar
July 29th, 2010, 02:56 AM
When configuring Tune Settings for your PCM/ECM/TCM modules, if you have a manual transmission, then do not select a TCM.

Ninety8C5
July 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Here is a preliminary pdf.

When I open this with Adobe the screen goes Black and just the document is displayed, not like a regular pdf document. Is there someting I need to change?

Thanks.

joecar
July 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
When I open this with Adobe the screen goes Black and just the document is displayed, not like a regular pdf document. Is there someting I need to change?

Thanks.You don't see anything like this (see pic)...?

Ninety8C5
July 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I get that after I hit the 'Esc' key. When it first opens it looks like this. There is no Header/Toolbar.

joecar
July 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure why it does that... let me find out.

Ninety8C5
July 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure why it does that... let me find out.

Have you found anything? I've compared it with other pdf documents and all the settings look the same. Am I the only one who sees this?

joecar
July 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
When I open it on my PC's, it pops up a box that says something like "Full Screen Mode?" with Yes and No buttons...

I can't find anything that describes the screen going black.

I redid the pdf using a different program, see attached, try this and let me know.

WeathermanShawn
July 30th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Seems to work good on my end..:)

Ninety8C5
July 30th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I redid the pdf using a different program, see attached, try this and let me know.

That seems to have fixed it for me. It now opens just like any other pdf file. :fluffy:

Thanks.

Dream2000
August 27th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Hello.

V2 here with latest builds of V8 & 7.5.6.

The PDF instructions are readable no problems.
I played with my V2 following the pages while connected to my PC and all went well until I got to the part about finding my .ctd converted tune. I find it ok on my PC, but copy & paste don't work. I click on the 'read' folder under 'tune', move to right pane of 'read' and click paste. EFIlive Explorer immediatley gives:

Error: $1085: File or Folder Not Found

If I revert out of the 'read' folder back into the 'tune' folder, that copy/paste will put the file there. Actually, a drag/drop also will do it in the 'tune' folder.

I can make new folders under 'tune', no problem there.

The error given is really caused by too long of a file name, it is not really a file not found or a folder not found. (ok...if the file name is too long i guess it can't find it?)

Apparently this is caused by the limitations of FAT16,FAT32 or whatever it is on the internal memory or SD in the BB?

I shortened my .ctd file name and it works fine in any folder that I make.

Tordne
August 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Can you please ensure to begin with that you have the latest software and firmware installed?

At time of this post the latest version are:
- 7.5.6 Build 132: http://download.efilive.com/Software....132_Setup.exe
- 8.1.2 Build 113: http://download.efilive.com/Software....113_Setup.exe
- FlashScan V2 firmware 2.06.40 (included in V8 download)

See these guides fort more detail on software and firmware updates:
- Software: http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...5404-IJZV-0820
- Firmware: http://support.efilive.com/kb_articl...7243-SFGL-2949

Can you also format the Data Filesystem using Explorer (after copying anything you need off of course)? I'm having no issues using the copy/paste function here.

Blacky
August 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
The error given is really caused by too long of a file name, it is not really a file not found or a folder not found. (ok...if the file name is too long i guess it can't find it?)
Apparently this is caused by the limitations of FAT16,FAT32 or whatever it is on the internal memory or SD in the BB?

The full pathname limit on FlashScan is 63 characters.
EFILive_Explorer should trap the fact that a file name is too long and report exactly that. It should not really report "File not found" as that is misleading.
It will be addressed in a subsequent update.
Thanks for reporting the issue.

Regards
Paul

joecar
August 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Andrew, the links in post #19 are also broken.

Dream2000
August 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
To Tordne: I am running rev.130 on 7.5.6 and rev.111 of 8.1.2.

To Blacky: In trouble shooting this, I first moved the .ctd file to the root directory of my C: drive to make the path shorter, but that didn't help. I could copy/paste or drag/drop to the 'tune' folder but not to any sub-folders such as 'read' or any that I made. The PDF used a file called test.ctd, so I renamed my file(s) to be indictative of what they meant to me, but kept the name as short as possible. Then all worked....copy/paste or drag/drop all put them where they should go, no problems after shortening-up the name of my files. It is odd that I could put my files into 'tune' but not into any of the sub-folders either 'read' or ones I made. This was with the long named files and when coming from the C:\root even.

Works fine if names are shorter.

Thanks,
John

Blacky
August 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM
To Tordne: I am running rev.130 on 7.5.6 and rev.111 of 8.1.2.
What about the firmware revision of FlashScan?
A few changes have been made in recent updates to fix some problems with long file names. If you don't have the latest 2.06.39 or later then that may be causing some issues.
Regards
PAul

Dream2000
August 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Paul, I always update the firmware every time I update V8, so it is running on 2_06_40. It is verified after flash by EFI Explorer.
The revision numbers that Tordne mentioned links to must be Beta's as I had just updated to latest from dlownloads page on website....ie: Latest stable release.

Thanks again for looking into this. I got past it, but the info may help others who encounter similar problems.

John

mnotx
August 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I am running rev.130 on 7.5.6 and rev.111 of 8.1.2.

I have updated V2 and it shows it has the latest updates. (Although I do not know where to go to see the actual firmware number)

I do not have an F9 tab (Format Config) in EFi Live Explorer. Obviously I have done something wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Correction, I found my current firmware and boot block: Firmware 2.06.40 Bootblock 2.06.03

I may have found my problem. I do not have an SD card. Is this my problem? If so, what exactly do I need.

Thanks! (I hate being ignorant)

540diesel
August 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Blacky,

I am also updated to the latest V7 & V8. I have firmware 2.06.40 also. When trying to apply a .ctd file to one of the sub folders in the tune file of the V2 I get a (File or Folder cannot be found). I can drag and drop the .ctd files into the tune file. I can also successfully perform a BBF with the files installed there. I did not try shortening the file names if that helps. I just thought I would let you know what I have found.

Thanks

Dream2000
August 28th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I think the lack of an SD is your problem as the internal mem is small. I don't know what you're trying to tune, but the files I am playing with are 2,500~K, which Is bigger than internal mem I think?

I used a 2g Kingston SD. They have been harder & harder to find, but I found a couple for about $8 each.

There are threads on here about what works,etc.

But for now, a regular SD 64m to 2g works. (the later SD's are labeled SDHC for high capacity). Those start at 4g and go upto 32g(?).

I think Blacky posted that he had to rewrite the drivers for SD data so as to allow the newer SDHC cards to work. He also aggreed that the 2g SD's are hard to find anymore, so he re-did the drivers to handle the larger SDHC's

Hopt that helps.

John

Dream2000
August 28th, 2010, 01:21 AM
540diesel:

You encountered the same thing I had.

I bet you can 'add' new folders to the 'tune' folder too?
But can't put anything in those or the 'read' folder, is that so?

Try shortening up your .CTD file names like I did.

I did not test it, but I agree that puting them in just the 'tune' folder seems ok too as I can see them there thru the BB when it asks to select the file you want to load. I did not do any loading as I did not connect to the truck. I went thru the motions though, and it tried to pull the existing tune & save it (failed being not connected to truck) so I do believe having the files in just the 'tune' folder would present no problems?

After shortining my names, I made folders for 'Stock', 'Mileage', etc. and put the corresponding .CTD's in those easily.

joecar
August 28th, 2010, 06:18 AM

I do not have an SD card. Is this my problem? If so, what exactly do I need

...Hi mntox, Amazon sells SanDisk 2GB SD cards for about $5-6 each;

this is what I use, but other brands work too, Kingston was mentioned above.

540diesel
August 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Dream2000 -

Yes you are right. I can create a file, and I did the same as you and made the test file I believe it was. After I could not get it to work I deleted it. I guess I could shorten my .ctd files but I like keeping the names the same as the .tun file so I know what one matches what .tun file. I have multiple tunes for multiple trucks so I don't want to get anything mixed up.

As far as performing a BBF I don't think you will have a issue. I just flashed one of my trucks today back to a different tune and it worked great. I sure do like changing tunes with the V2 its simple and fast. I am going to put a DSP5 on one so I can change tunes with that.

Dream2000
August 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Roger on trying to keep naming the same as what you call the .tun file. Blacky said the issue will be dealt with in future work.

What I did was shorten the filenames so I could utilize folders. I then appropriately named the folders and put the name shortened .ctd files where they belong. I did not go as far as to test just how many folders can be made, how long their folder names can be, whether or not the sub-folders under 'Tune' can contain sub-folders of their own, etc. I may do that though and if I do, I will report what I find. ( i suppose that I should start a specific thread?)

Bottom line...Yes it is nice to be able to calc flash without having to have a laptop along with you when on the road. I usually have mine with me, but it is great to not have to have it.