PDA

View Full Version : timing all over the place during a test log

GLGJR
July 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Can someone tell me why the timing will bounce all over the place during a test pass?

Thank You,
Gene

swingtan
July 18th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Post a log.....

GLGJR
July 18th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Sorry. I think maybe it is taking out the timing for the tires spinning.

swingtan
July 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM
There are two reasons I can see...

Mid RPM timing pull is due to wheel spin, as you say. Note that TP % also drops at these points indicating that "traction control" is activating. A note on logging TPS: Don't use SAE.TP % as is is an indicator of the 5V signal from the TPS, not the actual TP%. SAE.TP% in the E38 will only give a maximum % of about 85%. Use ETCTP to give you a true 0-100% reading.
Top end RPM limiting is due to the Rev Limiter cutting in.

To stop the first, simply turn off TC ( if you have a TC switch ) or adjust the number in the TC tables in the tune.
To stop the second, either don't rev it as hard or adjust the rev limiter settings. 6856 RPM is certainly getting up there in terms of RPM though, I hope you have done some work to sustain those revs.

Simon

GLGJR
July 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Simon,

Thanks. I am trying to learn this EFI Live program. The car is an 09 CTS-V. It does have quite a bit done to the engine. I would like to be able to go to the track and leave it in drive and have it shift about 6750. I have been chasing a water leak in my intercoller and I have locatred the problem. I need to start putting timing in the motor to try to make some more power. Most modded Caddy's run about 22 degrees. I will try to get my motor there. I need to go and get some drag radials for the car.

Gene

swingtan
July 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hmmmm.......

I'd forgotten about the supercharger on the CTS, that'll teach me for not looking at the MAP reading. You may also be hitting a boost torque limit.

For TC, try boosting all values in B2517 by 10%

I also just looked at your LTFT's and they are WAY out! -21% at cruise and -19% in PE. Any idea as to why the ECM is trying to pull so much fuel? Have you changed injectors / fuel system and not adjusted the tune to suit ?

GLGJR
July 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Simon,

The car does have 60lb injectors. It has ported heads, Lingenfelter GT11 cam, upper and lower pulleys, ported blower, snout and TB, cold air intake and I am sure I am forgetting some of the other stuff. I would like to get the car to shift by itself at 6750 by just leaving it in drive. I think I can to turn up the timing in the motor a little bit once I get the shifting corrected.

Take Care,
Gene

joecar
July 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Gene, post tune file if that's ok.

GLGJR
July 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I will as soon as I get to my laptop. I will post both the engine and transmission tunes.

Gene

swingtan
July 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I reckon the 60LB injectors have not been set up in the tune. That would explain the very, very rich running. I'd be setting up the engine tune a little better before even thinking about playing with the trans. Get the injector settings right, then tune the VVE, then the MAF and finally start on the timing. After all that I'd look at the trans and torque settings to get the tune where you want it.

Simon

GLGJR
July 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Sorry it took so long. I had to bring the files to work on the thumb drive.

Gene