PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some direction...

BlueGMC03
August 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
So I just had EFI live put in my 03 GMC 1500 HD in place of SuperChips and not seeing as big of difference as everyone talks. Maybe someone can give me a few suggestions.

odd boy
August 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
post ur file here, both files the one that was done with superchips and stock.

please include installed mods

BlueGMC03
August 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Im out of town workin so I dont have my truck. Also I took it to a speed shop and had it done therefore I dont have a flash device of the tunes. Im kind of new to all this. Is it possible we may be able to contact by phone so you could explain somethings as to what to do. Like perhaps tell him to stick it and me start over with something you have to offer better?

Would really appreciate the help
Thanks Victor

WeathermanShawn
August 3rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Victor:

There is no tuning 'magic' to EFILiveor 'SuperChips' or whatever tune you have.

EFILive allows you to build a Custom Tune. You can manipulate AFR, Spark (non-diesel), Idle, etc. You may have not needed a custom tune.

This forum is mianly for tuning enthusiasts who desire to learn more about tuning. I doubt 'Odd Boy' is just going to give you a call [ ..and tell you what to do..].

At a minimum, describe your vehicle and modifications. Have the tuner send you a tune, log, dyno, etc. Post it up and we can discuss it.

Again, there is no easy way to a good tune.

Best of luck...

BlueGMC03
August 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Well thanks cuz im kind of new to all this and just trying to learn a little more. Had 3 people push me to EFI live from super chips. I have a noticeable difference on the road but not so much as far as on the track pulling. Its not doing what the speed shop informed me it would do and cant get nothing out of them.

joecar
August 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Victor, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

The EFILive software package allows you to edit the calibration, flash it to the PCM, and log data, allowing you to tune your engine/transmission... like Shawn said above, it allows you to customize your tune.

The key word is "you"... you or your tuner figures out what values to use in the various tables... how good those values are is what makes a difference to driveability and track numbers.

Prerequisites:
- understanding of the internal combustion engine and why it runs,
- understanding your powertrain systems in your vehicle,
- lots of reading (not just EFILive, but tuning in general) and practicing,
- lots of patience and persistence, if you go this way, it now becomes your life,
- ability to troubleshoot engine/vehicle problems, and repair them or have the means to do so.

Sound easy...? No, it's not... mistakes are possible which will damage your engine and/or transmission.

EFILive allows you to edit all the known parameters/tables, and provides an integrated logger/scanner, and is PC based, altho it does provide handheld flashing/logging.

SuperChips looks like it's a set of pre-made calibrations plus the ability to edit some parameters, and is contained in a handheld package.

EFILive lets you edit every known table (you can do harm), whereas SuperChips lets you edit some tables in a restricted manner.

Have a look at some of the topics in the tuning section of the forum, you will see the level of knowledge required.

Follow the links in my signature to see what the EFILive forum members have learnt as a community over a long period of time.

Regards
Joe
:)

joecar
August 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Well thanks cuz im kind of new to all this and just trying to learn a little more. Had 3 people push me to EFI live from super chips. I have a noticeable difference on the road but not so much as far as on the track pulling. Its not doing what the speed shop informed me it would do and cant get nothing out of them.
EFILive lets you edit every known table (you can do harm), whereas SuperChips lets you edit some tables in a restricted manner.

Did the speed shop tune it on their dyno using a wideband...? Sounds like the speed shop tuned driveabililty.

Is your truck stock...? If not, what mods...? What are your current track numbers and what are you aiming for...?

Where are you located at...?