PDA

View Full Version : help with dsp5 install

chevyrida06
August 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM
hey guys i am installing a dsp5 switch on a 05 lly and every time i install the pins the ac wont work and the truck wont start i am putting the pins in 32 and 50 on the bottom plug i thinlk its grey can anyone tell me whats wrong thanks

GMC-2002-Dmax
August 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Install the switch, do not flash to DSP5, see if the truck runs normally with a single/stock OS.

If so it is not the switch, then full flash to DSP5 and open the PID for DSP5 tune and DSP5 volts, connect to the ecm. log the switch while you rotate it, if the switch is installed correctly and the ecm is flashed correctly the DSP5 tune and voltage should change.

If you are using a tune from another truck that is why the AC doesn't work, it is most likely a different System OS.

If it does not start you could try disabling the VATS.

Good Luck

chevyrida06
August 6th, 2010, 01:20 PM
There is has not been a tune installed on the truck yet all we are to do is install the switch to put the tunes on later but every time we place.the pins in the plug the truck won't run is the 32 and 50 pins and the bottom grey plugs correct

GMC-2002-Dmax
August 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM
LLY's have three ecm connectors, Grey, Black and Blue.

Grey is the correct connector and pins 32 and 50 are also correct according to the DSP-Tutorial that is located by opening the tune tool, look in the HELP menu at the top for Tutorials/ DSP5 Upgrade.

Who did you purchase the DSP5 switch from ??

chevyrida06
August 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
LLY's have three ecm connectors, Grey, Black and Blue.

Grey is the correct connector and pins 32 and 50 are also correct according to the DSP-Tutorial that is located by opening the tune tool, look in the HELP menu at the top for Tutorials/ DSP5 Upgrade.

Who did you purchase the DSP5 switch from ??

Empire diesel

GMC-2002-Dmax
August 7th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I know on the LLY's not all the pins are marked, IIRC you can to count from the ends to get the right pin location.

Any chance you have one of the wires in the wrong numbered pin ?

You can also use a voltmeter set to OHM and with the switch wiring removed from the ecm connector then measure the resistance while turning the switch, if the resistance does not change then the switch is probably defective.

chevyrida06
August 7th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I know on the LLY's not all the pins are marked, IIRC you can to count from the ends to get the right pin location.

Any chance you have one of the wires in the wrong numbered pin ?

You can also use a voltmeter set to OHM and with the switch wiring removed from the ecm connector then measure the resistance while turning the switch, if the resistance does not change then the switch is probably defective.

I have tried it twice because I thought I might have installed them in the wrong hole but I can check it again but I am almost positive they were in the right locations

chevyrida06
August 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM
the pins are in the right locations i have counted them and they are marked

chevyrida06
August 16th, 2010, 05:04 AM
does anyone know what else could be wrong

Ira
August 16th, 2010, 05:14 AM
If I was guessing, I'd have to guess wrong pins. Turn the know all the way to one end and then the other and with the ignition on, measure the voltage from ground to each wire on the switch. One should always be 0V and the other should be 1V or so at one end and 4 or 5V at the other. If the wires are connected on top of the PCB it's easy to find, if they're connected on the bottom, they are the 2 biggest solder joints that are not in the pattern.

The thing is, there is nothing on the DSP5 pins EFILive uses that can cause those problems so either it's the wrong pins, the wrong OS or the wrong truck model or something is just really weird. As long as the voltage on the second wire is between ground and 5V all it should do is allow the DSP5 OS to have a look at that input and decide what tune to use.

Does the air not work and the truck not start in all 5 switch positions?

Ira

chevyrida06
August 16th, 2010, 05:28 AM
the pins are the longest ones is what chad at empire diesel told me and he said they should work fine buti have not chevked each possition to see if that makes a difference

relentless addiction
August 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
so the truck runs/starts/and has air w/o the switch installed?
and the upgrade DSP OS hasn't been flashed yet?
But when the pins are connected to the ecm it has a no start situation?

first check your wires on your switch for cuts and abrasions...

with an ohmmeter and your switch check each resistance (by turning the knob), should be around 25K,5.6K, 2.2K, 1K, 270R,

25K being your factory operating resistance @ 5V.
be sure its the grey connecter pin# 32,50.

"If you are using a tune from another truck that is why the AC doesn't work, it is most likely a different System OS.

If it does not start you could try disabling the VATS"- GMC-2002-DMAX ..... be sure of this! if your new to tuning it can be over looked!

also try reflashing your stock tune file and repeating steps in the tutorial...
05's can be quarky make sure your info and radio fuse is pulled when flashing of any sort

read this tutorial and make sure you follow each step to the T. heres a link for that...

http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/DSP%20Upgrade%20Tutorial%20-%20LB7-LLY.pdf

chevyrida06
August 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
So I checked the switch with a ohm meter and nothing every setting was showing no reading so I guess the switch is bad and what would happen if I loaded a dsp tune with no switch

GMC-2002-Dmax
August 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM
So I checked the switch with a ohm meter and nothing every setting was showing no reading so I guess the switch is bad and what would happen if I loaded a dsp tune with no switch

It defaults to the main tables on the DSP5 tune file,

chevyrida06
August 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Ok thanks for all the help hopefully a new.switch will.solve my problem