PDA

View Full Version : Anyone useing the 3.3 Bar Delphi Map sensor ?

johnv
August 14th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hi,

Got a 3.3 Bar map sensor(factory style), looks to be plug and play for a ls6 manifold.

Just wondering what MAP scaler values you needed to get the sensor to read 101kpa at key on ? mine seem way off, needs to be set at 466 to read 101 kpa at key on.

and it runs super lean compared to running the 2 bar sensor.

also read of another user not being able to get it to read below 40kpa and had trouble with idle cruise tuneing, any feedback appreciated.

GMPX
August 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
There is no real formula to scaling the MAP sensor, just mess with the values until you are at 100kPa at key on (assuming you are at sea level).

johnv
August 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Okay, so i set scaler to 466 and get 101kpa at key on (same as std sensor at my elevation)

but the car runs super lean, 20-22:1 at idle, would idle at around 14:1 on 2BAR sensor ,
and i would need to put huge numbers (90s)in the idle cells (VE table) to bring it back into line.

DURAtotheMAX
August 15th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I think the new LML dmax's have this sensor too?

johnv
August 15th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Yes i'm pretty sure thats where they originate from,
part number on box = PS10087
3.3 Bar MAP sensor Gen III style

its the same shape as std MAP just has a couple of extra tabs that need to be trimmed off,
then it will go straight in to the factory position and plug straight into the factory harness.

GMPX
August 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Is the kPa reading at idle the same as the old sensor? If it's supposed to be used on a Diesel engine then they don't care about below 100kPa.

JezzaB
August 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Have the same sensor to go into my TT L98 drag ute. Havent tested it out yet

johnv
August 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Is the kPa reading at idle the same as the old sensor? If it's supposed to be used on a Diesel engine then they don't care about below 100kPa.

Yes logs show same kpa reading at idle and it will go back to zerrow okay free revving and letting the throttle off,

seems to follow what the 2bar sensor does and hits similar cells in VE table with same throttle and rpm, but tune is now way off and it runs super lean everywhere !!
any other map based calibrations need altering in the tune to compensate ?

JezzaB
August 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Did you get this sorted out?

johnv
August 19th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Did you get this sorted out?

Had it on the dyno today and didn't have much luck with it, the VE table was miles out neede 50% more to bring idle AFR's into line,was also idleing in 20kpa cells instead of 40-50 kpa cells so not tracking correctly in the main VE table.

So i ditched it and went back to the 2 bar sensor.

made 483 rwkw at 15psi and that was with a blowen out crossover pipe flange gasket (bolt had fallen out.found it when we unstrapped it off the dyno)

JezzaB
September 5th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Same problems here and I have E85 in it now so it has been a wild ride. Changing back to a 2bar sensor.

Highlander
September 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
That means that your offset is incorrect...

You need to see the calibration of the sensor outside the engine with a vacuum gauge.

JezzaB
September 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
That means that your offset is incorrect...

You need to see the calibration of the sensor outside the engine with a vacuum gauge.

Out of the engine it with it set to 460 (after changing until baro read correctly) it reads 102kpa baro as checked with another 1 bar sensor at the same time in another car. It idles at 20kpa and will go up when revved, VE tables are all over the shop. It is not reading correctly. If I change it the barometric pressure reading will be incorrect

johnv
September 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Glad i'm not the only one.......3.3bar sesore = fail

But seem to be able to tune for 18 psi ok on the 2bAR sensor,
just would have been nice to be able to log boost beyond 14.7psi and utilise the boost timing & VE table beyound 2bar.

JezzaB will be interesting to see the the e85 goes, herd lots of good things........ not readily available over here or i would be trying it for sure.

But am running meth injection under boost and my car loves it !!
will take another 7 deg timing and made an extra 45 rwkw

JezzaB
September 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I put the 2 bar sensor back in and everything was perfect. All my problems solved. No crazy afrs, idle kpa is reading correctly etc. Live and learn i suppose.

I will keep you updated on the E85 Jonny. Hopefully hit the dyno tomorrow night. Its not readily available where I am but I buy it from down south in 200l drums.

Heres tonights little fire up with the 2 bar sensor and launch controller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5o664MYlSw

Wasted Income
October 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Were you guys using the 12215049 sensor?

Any interest in selling it if so? There MUST be a way to make it work....all the info is in this doc.

http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/Products/12215049.pdf

NobleTech
November 4th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I have the same problem guys
any solutions yet.
EFI live said, they can help with tuning questions?
seems like a software/firmware issue???
HELP !!!!!!!!:yucky:

johnv
November 8th, 2013, 11:53 PM
The 3.3 bar sensor although a direct plug in, is deseigned to suit a diesel and does not have enough resolution out of boost on an LS petrol.

I ended up going with a 2.5 bar sensor by DPE Corvettes, good for around 22 psi boost and works perfectly.

NobleTech
November 9th, 2013, 04:01 AM
The 3.3 bar sensor although a direct plug in, is deseigned to suit a diesel and does not have enough resolution out of boost on an LS petrol.

I ended up going with a 2.5 bar sensor by DPE Corvettes, good for around 22 psi boost and works perfectly.

Thanks Johnv,
I ordered what i thought was a 2.5 bar?now it appears to be a 2 bar - at koeo, 2.4 volts, same as the 2 bar I just removed
been fighting with this 3.3 bar sensor, I am up tp 460-480 on the scaler and got it to read 104 kpa
I'll check out DPE and get that rolling
what scaler and offset should i start with?
on another note
operating system is the 0203003
408 " ls1 c5 vette
f1c supercharger now on 4" pulley targeting 16-18 lbs of boost
was at 8 lbs and made good power above half throttle
we've added methanol injection a a liquid intercooler and plan on calibrating tune based on IAT's
can not see pressures above 105 mbar in scanner or on tune tool in custom ve tables????
the operating system was already in this car
and the car has never been quite nice at less than atmospheric pressures
driveability and idle did suck bad.
I've calibrated some of the down low stuff and it is much better now.
why want the tun e or scan tool show any boost
I can see volts and psi
is there a PID that tells this COS to switch to 2/3 bar?????
Thanks again, Troy

joecar
November 9th, 2013, 05:49 AM
In the tune there is a MAP sensor scaler, look in Engine Diagnostics -> MAP.

NobleTech
November 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM
In the tune there is a MAP sensor scaler, look in Engine Diagnostics -> MAP.

???????????????

isn't that the PID I've been changing??????
engine diagnostics;map;parameters

joecar
November 9th, 2013, 09:25 AM
You ask the question:

is there a PID that tells this COS to switch to 2/3 bar?????

A pid is log data that is read from the PCM... so I'm confused by your question.

I see from rereading your post that you are editing the scaler... you may have to also edit the offset.

I still don't understand what your question is asking.

joecar
November 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Are you asking how does the COS know to go from 1-bar operation to 2-bar and beyond...?

The COS knows to go the the Boost VE table when MAP exceeds 105 kPa (the last column in VE table).

Ah, I think now I know what you asked.

NobleTech
November 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM
You ask the question:

A pid is log data that is read from the PCM... so I'm confused by your question.

I see from rereading your post that you are editing the scaler... you may have to also edit the offset.

I've tried editing both scaler and offset. can not even come close
example;
460/10 = 104 at koeo
at 50 mbar of vacuum it reads about .1 volts and 10 kpa
with the stock sensor and tune it reads about .5 volts and 38 kpa
confused????????????

NobleTech
November 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM
You ask the question:

oh,
i thought a PID was a;
Pee Eye Dee
proportional integral and derivative gain for a feed back loop
so, I call all the settings PID's
example "this operating system has other 300 PID's"
am I saying incorrectly?
should I just say calibrations?

ScarabEpic22
November 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I see the confusion, PIDs are parameters to log in the Scan tool. The calibration usually refers to the program/tune currently IN the controller, when you change the calibration you're changing tables and/or parameters.