PDA

View Full Version : Missing calc.pids

VetPet
December 2nd, 2005, 04:22 AM
I recently downloaded V7.3 onto my laptop and then went out to my car to retrieve the pids from my PCM. None of the calc.pids now show up in the pid tab including one that I had created. I checked on my desktop PC and they are all there including the one I created. The only difference between my laptop & PC is that I hooked my laptop back up to my car after I downloaded V7.3. to retrieve data & pids. I've looked in my configuration file on my laptop for the calc.pids but they are not there. Can anyone explain why this happened and what to do about it?

Thanks
:)

Blacky
December 2nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
I do not know why it has happened. But to fix the problem, you can just copy the \My Documents\EFILive\V7\User configuration\calc_pids.txt file from your desktop to your laptop.

Regards
Paul

Black02SS
December 3rd, 2005, 01:52 AM
With the latest public release, I am getting the same problem.

VetPet
December 3rd, 2005, 03:25 AM
Thanks Paul, I'll try doing what you said. Being new at this stuff you just sometimes feel like you're the only one having a problem and just feel like a dummy.

Regards,
Tony :D

Black02SS
December 3rd, 2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks Paul, I'll try doing what you said. Being new at this stuff you just sometimes feel like you're the only one having a problem and just feel like a dummy.

Regards,
Tony :D

Never feel like that here. We were all dummy's at one point. :)

curtbriggs
December 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Scan, build 314, My AutoVE PIDs, 9 out of 13 are now unsuported. I rebuilt my AutoVE PID selection file and all was good until I tried to bring it back up again. I can't fix it reading the pg. 71 area. I feeling brain dead about now maybe I just can't see it. Right click>more info, no help.

Thanks, Curt

VetPet
December 3rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the support bro, I guess everyone here has gone through the same growing pains. Here's what I found.

My calc_pids.txt file on my desk top PC (under My Documents\EFILive\PID) contains only the calc.pid I created (calc_bafn) in it. The PID folder that contains the pid_info.txt document file also contains all of the calc.pids as well as my calc_bafn.pid. The file size is 9KB.

My calc_pid.txt file on my laptop contains the calc_bafn.pid I created only, just like my desk top PC. Also, the PID folder containing pid_info.txt document file also contains all of the calc.pids as well as my calc.bafn pid. The file size is 9KB.

I checked both of the configuration folders under Programs\EFILive\Configuration in my desktop and laptop and none of the calc.pids appear in there. The calc.pids do appear in the sae_generic.txt document in both my desktop and laptop.

Paul, should I still copy the calc_pid.txt file from my desktop to my laptop or is there another problem?

Blacky
December 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
I am currently investigating a possible problem with DMA PIDs not validating correctly against custom operating systems. I'll post an update shortly.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
December 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
I am currently investigating a possible problem with DMA PIDs not validating correctly against custom operating systems. I'll post an update shortly.
Regards
Paul

There is a now a confirmed issue with validating DMA PIDs for custom operating systems.

If you are connecting to a PCM with a custom operating system you may validate the DMA_PIDs by selecting the base (stock) operating system number. Use the menu option File->Enter VIN to open a window that will allow you to enter the base OS number.

A patch will be released to fix the problem.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
December 3rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
A patch has been released to fix the DMA validation problem:
http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_7.html

Scroll down to see the patch, it's only about 300K.
There is no need to re-download the full 67Mb again.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
December 4th, 2005, 02:41 AM
A patch has been released to fix the DMA validation problem:
http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_7.html

Scroll down to see the patch, it's only about 300K.
There is no need to re-download the full 67Mb again.

Regards
Paul

I did all this, checked obdiiV7.dll properties and it showed Dec 4th. Problem didn't change, what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
December 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Scan, build 314, My AutoVE PIDs, 9 out of 13 are now unsuported. I rebuilt my AutoVE PID selection file and all was good until I tried to bring it back up again. I can't fix it reading the pg. 71 area. I feeling brain dead about now maybe I just can't see it. Right click>more info, no help.

Thanks, Curt

1. What do you mean by AutoVE PIDs?
2. What message do you get when you right click on an unsupported calculated PID?

Note:
If a calculated PID uses other PIDs (calculated or not) in its expression, then the PIDs used in the expression must be valid and selected or the calculated PID itself will be marked as invalid.

Regards
Paul

VetPet
December 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM
There is one other difference I remember from the way I downloaded V7.3 onto my desktop and laptop. When I downloaded it onto my desktop I had to also download an sae_generic.txt file into the config folder. When I went to download V7.3 on my laptop I no longer had to download an sae_generic.txt file into the config file because a fix had been applied to V7.3. I do know that I did have a lot of trouble downloading this fixed version of 7.3 onto my laptop. Maybe I should try reloading the program again?

I'll also mention here that when I open scan tool on my laptop and then click on the PID tab, all of the PIDs that are supported by my PCM appear (269) but none of the calc.pids. At the bottom it shows the VIN code & transmission (MAN) but for the OS it shows N/A. Even if I open a log file nothing shows for the OS.

The only difference I could find between my laptop and desktop files is in my PID folder under MyDocuments/EFILive. My laptop PID folder shows the .vpl & .vml files as well as a default_imp & default_metric PID's and pid_info.txt. My desktop PID folder only shows the pid_info.txt file. I'm assuming this is because I went back and hooked up my scan tool after downloading the new 7.3 version to validate my PIDs using my laptop. Thought I should mention this just in case it means something.

I'm not running a custom OS in my car. My car is a 2001 C5 LS1.

Hope this helps you out.

:)

Blacky
December 4th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Maybe I should try reloading the program again?

No, I do not think that is necessary, I think it is just a config issue.

I'll also mention here that when I open scan tool on my laptop and then click on the PID tab, all of the PIDs that are supported by my PCM appear (269) but none of the calc.pids. At the bottom it shows the VIN code & transmission (MAN) but for the OS it shows N/A. Even if I open a log file nothing shows for the OS.

Have you unchecked the "Supported" check box? that will show all PIDs regardless of whether they are validated or not. Once you do that you will be able to see your calculated PIDs and right click on them, select "More info..." and find out why they are not supported.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
December 4th, 2005, 07:32 AM
1. What do you mean by AutoVE PIDs?
2. What message do you get when you right click on an unsupported calculated PID?
Regards
Paul[/quote]

Paul,
1, the PID list from the AutoVE tutorial.
2. It just describes what the PID is, not what the problem is.

Thanks, Curt

VetPet
December 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Paul, unchecking the 'supported' checkbox will show me all of the calc.pids I couldn't see before. They are greyed out with an X through them. When I right click on the calc.pid and click on 'more info' the pid is telling me it's missing something in order to perform the calculation. I haven't gone through all of them, just a few to see what they show. How would you like to proceed from here?

Regards,
Tony

Blacky
December 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Paul,

Thanks, Curt

Calculated PIDs are identified by their CALC. prefix. All CALCULATED PIDs show the following type of information:

Base Efficiency Numerator 1 - LC-1 {CALC.BEN_LC11}

Expression:
factor = {CALC.AFR_LC11.AFR}/{GM.AFR}
is NOT valid because:
Required parameter {CALC.AFR_LC11.AFR}, at position 20 is not selected.

PID value cannot be determined because
the following error would occur:
Expression not valid: Required parameter {CALC.AFR_LC11.AFR}, at position 20 is not selected.

Maybe the unsupported PID you are looking at is not a calculated PID? Which PID is it (are they) exactly?

Blacky
December 4th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Paul, unchecking the 'supported' checkbox will show me all of the calc.pids I couldn't see before. They are greyed out with an X through them. When I right click on the calc.pid and click on 'more info' the pid is telling me it's missing something in order to perform the calculation. I haven't gone through all of them, just a few to see what they show. How would you like to proceed from here?

Regards,
Tony

You need to select the dependant PIDs that are reported as not selected.

As you select them, you may need to select more PIDs that the dependant PIDs are dependant on and so forth.

eg:
{CALC.BEN.LC11} is dependant on {CALC.AFR_LC11} which is dependant on {EXT.AD1}

Note: you can select PIDs that are not validated/unsupported. The red/grey cross inthe icon is just a warning.

Regards
Paul

VetPet
December 4th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Ahhhh So! Yes, once I've picked the PID's that the calc.pid relies on the icon for the calc.pid, in my case calc.bafn (base airflow numerator) no longer has the grey X through it. I was working on the miss guided assumption that all of the PIDs supported would come up grey including any of the calc.pids. I believe V7.2 showed them this way and that's why I was confused (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) but I wouldn't testify to it in a court of law. I guess this really wasn't a problem after all.

Thanks once again Paul.
:D
"One day grasshopper, you too will be able to fetch the pebble from my hand" :lol:

Blacky
December 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I like happy endings.

The next version of EFILive is being designed with all the "annoying parts" removed/fixed. By "annoying" I mean the non-intuitive quirks that have crept in over the years - like what you just had to work through.

Regards
Paul

curtbriggs
December 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Paul,

Thanks, Curt

Maybe the unsupported PID you are looking at is not a calculated PID? Which PID is it (are they) exactly?

OK DESCRIPTION CAPTION UNITS SYSTEM CH PARAMETER
- Absolute Throttle Position TP % - Throttle 1
- Commanded Air Fuel Ratio AFR :1 - Fuel 2
- Engine Coolant Temperature ECT °C,°F Imperial Temperature 1
- Engine RPM RPM RPM - Conditions 2
- Ignition Timing Advance for #1 Cylinder SPARKADV Degrees - Spark 1
- Intake Air Temperature IAT °C,°F Imperial Temperature 1
- Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure MAP kPa,inHg Imperial Air 1
- Retard Due to Knock KR Degrees - Spark 1
- Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS KMH,MPH Imperial Conditions 1
Paul, the above are all selected but have the red X.
The only two that are Calculated are OK, the two PLX PIDs. The analog voltage and the cyl/grams are also OK.
I didn't have this problem with the pre-release 7.3, why now?
I'll go over all your replys in this section and see if it makes sense.
Thanks. Curt

Blacky
December 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Have you changed the VIN in your PCM?

Can you please generate an error report (Ctrl+G) and send it to me at paul@efilive.com. Thanks.

Paul