PDA

View Full Version : Autocal Questions

macca_779
August 15th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hey guys just a few q's on the new Autocal's as I'm organising a group buy on the LS1 fourms and want to confirm a few things as follows;

When a customer buys a set of Autocal's and subsequently has to use their V2 Serial # it's purely for purchase validation to ensure your a current EFI LIVE customer right. ie I won't be locking the devices so that only I can supply them tunes to use on their Autocal's
As far as scanning goes. Are there any limitations outside of what a V2 can do. ie The scanning software can be fully utilised and BBL data can be real time viewed on the Autocal LCD (obviously less info at anyone time over the V2 due to the size of the screen)

Can we full Flash OS' yet as I have guys that will be going from stock to a COS and require the capability

Cheers
Ryan

Tordne
August 16th, 2010, 07:06 AM
The AutoCal device does become linked to the FlashScan V2 device. Only tunes created by the person with the FlashScan V2 serial number can provide tunes for AutoCal devices locked to their V2 SN.

The AutoCal device has similar BBL capability with the exception (as you mention already) of physical display size. Also, there is no A/D or serial input so WBO2 controllers and other external devices cannot be logged.

Pretty sure full flash is not implemented at this stage (Paul can correct me if I'm wrong). It of course will be.

ScarabEpic22
August 16th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Cant answer #1 for you, but I would like to get clarification as well. Im assuming its just to make sure the purchaser has a V2 so someone doesnt order an AutoCal unit thinking they can flash their own tunes in without a V2.

Not as far as I can tell, scanning, logging, DTC clearing, etc can be done with an AC. Havent checked to see if realtime data is on the screen, need to play with mine a little more.

No, full flashing is not implemented yet for any controllers. Cal flashing is mostly done, know the A50 Alli TCMs cant be flashed yet (but dont think they can in V7 either).

EDIT:
Andrew beat me by seconds!

macca_779
August 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Ok now that I know Autocal's can only use files supplied by the linked V2. Can you add further V2's to the Autocal so that your not limited to the one tuner and if so how many extra V2's can be linked and how is this process acompolished, remotly via serial number input or physically by a requirement to have the Autocal on hand to sync it to the V2. For example can you and your tuner both have V2's so tunes can be supplied by both of you, but can a further tuner be attached to the Autocal so he too can supply tunes.
This is important for the group buy I'm organising as guys will not necessarily be supplied tunes from me.

Also will the following example run true. As I have a guy who's tuner uses HPT but is interested in Autocal to have multiple tunes available to him eg valet/normal.

If he buys an Autocal off me, it will obviously be linked to my V2. But can he pull his tune from his current car and save it. Then have his tuner flash in an alternate tune and pull it also. By my understanding he is only pulling tunes already in his controller so is this possible.

One last question. Is Autocal free to read controllers at will without licensing the same as we can do with a V2?

Cheers
Ryan.

Tordne
August 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Just to clarify the purpose of the AutoCal device... The AutoCal device is purchased by a Tuner (professional tuner, workshop or parts supplier) and used as a mechanism to provide tuning services to their Customer. While the Customer receives an AutoCal device physically, it is solely to use the tunes provided by the Tuner.

The linking of a single AutoCal to multiple FlashScan V2 is possible, however the license number of the V2 has to be the same (so they would be owned by effectively one tuner/shop). It is not possible to link the AutoCal to FlashScan devices from competing Tuners for instance.

Think of it sort of like a cable TV set top box from CompanyA. The device you might get from CompanyA could very well be exactly the same physical hardware as a box from CompanyB. While the hardware is the same the box from CompanyA is of no use with CompanyB as the box is ultimately a means for CompanyA to provide you with a service (in this case pay TV). Hopefully that makes sense, it was the best analogy I could think of...

The calibration files the are save to the AutoCal have the expected device serial/license number embedded. It is not as simple as just copying a .CTD file to AutoCal and then being able to flash it.

For what you are trying to do (a group buy) the end user would need to either own a FlashScan V2 (in which case why get an AutoCal?) or would need to know someone with a FlashScan V2 (you or another friend etc.). I can see why you'd want to do a group buy, but you really need to consider that the AutoCal is not simply supposed to be a cheap FlashScan V2, it provides a specific purpose.

Reading calibrations is still not a licensed function. While it might be possible to read tunes, the purpose is essentially to provide your Tuner with your stock or current tune to be modified and sent back for local flashing.

mr.prick
August 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I thought the AutoCal was going to be lesser version of the V2.
Kind like pptuners "standard" version. :nixweiss:

odd boy
August 17th, 2010, 02:45 AM
correct me if I am wrong,

V2 is master device and autocal is slave liked to it. I will be the only one who can supply tunes to my slave devices??

is the file that I am going to create then send will be encrypted or he can look at my tune? I am dealer and tuner of SCT, nobody can see ur file unless he is using another way of reading the file like using a device that read binary files.....etc

ScarabEpic22
August 17th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I thought the AutoCal was going to be lesser version of the V2.
Kind like pptuners "standard" version. :nixweiss:

No, that was never the intention of AutoCal. It was to provide an easy way for tuners to remotely deploy tunes without having customers physically send PCM/ECM/TCMs to them.

correct me if I am wrong,

V2 is master device and autocal is slave liked to it. I will be the only one who can supply tunes to my slave devices??

is the file that I am going to create then send will be encrypted or he can look at my tune? I am dealer and tuner of SCT, nobody can see ur file unless he is using another way of reading the file like using a device that read binary files.....etc

Yes, a V2 serial number is the "master" and can have many AutoCal "slaves". But an AutoCal "slave" cannot have more than 1 V2 "master" serial number.

*.ctd files are not encrypted at this time, not sure what EFILive's plans are for this. So yes, your tune files can be opened and viewed by anyone that has access to the file, however they cannot re-save the file. If they do, the file will lose its V2 serial number and then the AC will be unable to flash the modified *.ctd. This means that only you the tuner can save files with your specific V2 serial number and email them to the end user to flash.

Tordne
August 17th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yes, V2 is a "master" and can have many AutoCal "slaves". But an AutoCal "slave" cannot have more than 1 V2 "master".

AutoCal can actaulyl be linked to many FlashScans, but the FlashScan license number needs to be the same, so typically that might be a workshop with more than one V2 device.

*.ctd files are not encrypted at this time, not sure what EFILive's plans are for this. So yes, your tune files can be opened and viewed by anyone that has access to the file, however they cannot re-save the file. If they do, the file will lose its V2 serial number and then the AC will be unable to flash the modified *.ctd. This means that only you the tuner can save files with your specific V2 serial number and email them to the end user to flash.

The .CTD format has always been encrypted. In the latest V7 release made just couple of days back (7.5.6 Build 130) there is a new 'Permissions' tab in the calibration that allows you to flag the .CTD file so that it cannot be viewed or modified ;)

ScarabEpic22
August 18th, 2010, 03:29 AM
AutoCal can actaulyl be linked to many FlashScans, but the FlashScan license number needs to be the same, so typically that might be a workshop with more than one V2 device.

Just clarified my last post, meant to say a V2 serial number is the "master" and the ACs are "slaves".

The .CTD format has always been encrypted. In the latest V7 release made just couple of days back (7.5.6 Build 130) there is a new 'Permissions' tab in the calibration that allows you to flag the .CTD file so that it cannot be viewed or modified ;)

Shows you how much time Ive had to look at the newest software, I downloaded it before I went to pull an 08 Escalade tune but didnt actually look around in it. I know V8 has had that feature in there for a while... :D Didnt know if V7 was going to get that option or not.

L31Sleeper
August 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Andrew you might want to add the AutoCal to the FlashScan Hardware section.

killerbee
September 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM
I still need clarification on one thing:

Are all autocal units inextricably linked to the V2 serial number provided at time of purchase?

If so, is there any way to re-link them to another SN before they are used? This just doesn't make sense to me. ...I will live with whatever the answer is, and I hope I haven't been offensive. I am sure there has been careful thought put into this, and either I am not tracking, or there is a good reason for this.

PS: thank you Andrew for your email responses.

Tordne
September 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
The AutoCal V2s are supplied completely unlinked. The FlashScan SN input on the AutoCal order page is really just a final prompt so someone doesn't order the product without having a V2 device to link with.

The AutoCal device can actually be linked with multiple V2 devices, but the License Number (not the Serial Number) of the V2 devices needs to be the same. This is intended to cater fr tuners/workshops that may have more than one physical V2 device.

killerbee
September 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM
Thank you.

Tre-Cool
September 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM
would it be possible to get a serial AD port added to the autocal for logging of wideband sensors?

It would make more sense to invest in them then as I'm sure tuners would appreciate actually having accurate afr readings to adjust the tunes. Otherwise really the device is limited to just flashing base tunes.

Chuck CoW
September 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
would it be possible to get a serial AD port added to the autocal for logging of wideband sensors?

It would make more sense to invest in them then as I'm sure tuners would appreciate actually having accurate afr readings to adjust the tunes. Otherwise really the device is limited to just flashing base tunes.

Yeah.... It would make a whole lot more sense that way....

Chuck CoW

L31Sleeper
September 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
If a serial port was added to AutoCal that would be cool but I don't see it as necessary. I'm sure a good portion
of AutoCals are going to Diesel tuners and mail order tuners (neither really need WBO2) I don't think they are
going to change them since they are already in production. My solution is simply modify the Scan Tool software
to bring the serial data in through the PC. That way if someone really wanted to use a WBO2 just hook it up to
your lap top whilst logging.

ScarabEpic22
September 10th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I think ACs not having a serial input helps segment the market more, if your customer really needs a mail order tune via WBO2 then they probably need a FS V2.

mr.prick
September 10th, 2010, 06:02 AM
IIRC
There was something said about a possible hack for serial WBO2. :secret:

kbracing96
September 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I think ACs not having a serial input helps segment the market more, if your customer really needs a mail order tune via WBO2 then they probably need a FS V2.
I agree with this very much!

L31Sleeper
September 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM
IIRC
There was something said about a possible hack for serial WBO2. :secret:

There is a hack for Analog WBO2

Analog WBO2 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14257-AutoCal-WBO2&p=127948&viewfull=1#post127948)

mr.prick
September 10th, 2010, 07:49 AM
No, IRC Paul saying something about using a connection that programs the AutoCal from the factory.

The search sucks now so I can't find it. :bangin:

Tordne
September 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
There is a serial header inside the AutoCal device physically which is used at the factory (internally) for programming the devices.

Even if you were to connect to this header the problem you'd have is that the AutoCal firmware does not have the serial capability enabled, so it wouldn't function anyway.

L31Sleeper
September 10th, 2010, 12:16 PM
The LC1 comes with a serial cable.......connect it to your lap top and create a PID for it.

Tre-Cool
September 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Im not sure how much longer efilive are planning on making the existing V1 controller, but i thought that with both the v2 and autocal unit supporting both can can/vpw it would be a no brainer to phase out the v1 hardware as it does not support serial WB.

Then people who only want to scan/datalog could use the autocal unit. If you want to edit the tunes you buy the v2 hardware.

Personally i would then use the autocal unit for datalogging at the drags, motorsport events etc due to the smaller size.