PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screen and bright days.

curtbriggs
December 2nd, 2005, 07:48 AM
I have a Dell C600 and I can't read the screen on a bright sunny day. I've found that manufactures have buzz words to describe the screens on some of their laptop models. Dell uses the word Ultra sharp and Ultra bright. A friend has a Dell with the Ultra bright screen and he doesn't have a problem logging on bright days. Sony has the X Bright. IBM doesn't say.

The problem is, searching the web on manufacture sites, they don't tell what display works in bright conditions. A laptop forum says that a glossy screen is bad in bright conditions.

Anyone know a fix or what works other then logging at night.

Thanks, Curt

Blacky
December 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
At the expense of battery life, you may be able to reconfigure the "power settings" to use full screen brightness. Some (most?) laptops default to a dim screen when running on batteries.

Windows->Control Panel->Power management.

or maybe the laptop comes with a Fn option (usually the Fn key in combination with one of the digit keys on the keyboard) to increase/decrease screen brightness.

Regards
Paul

mistermike
December 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
www.compushade.com :D

ringram
December 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
.. or move to the UK and never have that problem :)

Blacky
December 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Or wait for FlashScan V2, it can be read in bright/direct sunlight - or in darkness with it's backlit display.
Granted, it won't show anywhere near the information of a laptop screen.

Paul

Bruce Melton
December 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
.. or move to the UK and never have that problem :)
Love it!

The new bright screens have polarizing filters but the shiny screen cover glares.

ntae
December 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Or wait for FlashScan V2, it can be read in bright/direct sunlight - or in darkness with it's backlit display.
Granted, it won't show anywhere near the information of a laptop screen.

Paul

This sounds like a saftey issue not being able to see the screen !!! . I think we should implement the use of V2 as soon as posible :lol:

curtbriggs
December 2nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
At the expense of battery life, you may be able to reconfigure the "power settings" to use full screen brightness. Some (most?) laptops default to a dim screen when running on batteries.

Windows->Control Panel->Power management.

or maybe the laptop comes with a Fn option (usually the Fn key in combination with one of the digit keys on the keyboard) to increase/decrease screen brightness.

Regards
Paul

I use an inverter and the Fn button with the arrows to get full bright, I wonder if these displays get dim if you leave them on. I bought this Dell C600 used and who knows.

Speaking of moving to the UK, I did my first AutoVE log after I got the AFRs working on EFI Scan data and Dashboard.
I drove about 50 miles in the rain taking my daughter to her Drs. While waiting in the parking lot, I adjusted the Main VE tables, smoothed and reflashed the calibration. On the drive home the idle and throttle response was greatly improved. I was logging again and looking forward to another adjustment when I got home but the sun had come out and I couldn't see well enough to connect properly. I love their fish and chips.

Thanks, Curt