PDA

View Full Version : Buying autocal

minytrker
August 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Can I just buy 1 or 2 or do you have to buy 5? When I went to buy one all I saw was lots of 5. I don't need that many. Also I don't 100% understand the license process, what will I need if I already have all the streams on my V2?

Thanks

8100 Power
August 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
You have to buy 5 at a time.

ScarabEpic22
August 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Lorenz, it sounds like you can buy 1 or 2 directly from another tune shop, I think a few people were planning on splitting the 5pks up.

Im not sure what it means for streams yet, I would like to know as well.

L31Sleeper
August 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Justin from Black Bear Performance is willing to sell them one at a time. He said it was cool to e-mail
him regarding this matter Justin@blackbearperformance.com
I'm pretty sure he is going to get them by the 60 pack !!

AutoCal Licensing is STRICTLY VIN.

minytrker
August 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM
So do you buy a VIN license for each car that you want to flash with the auto cal? What happens when you use all 8 license, is the auto cal no good?

L31Sleeper
August 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
One is included and you can purchase 7 more. At that point it is FULL, I would still consider it GOOD
you can continue to tune those 8 vehicles as much as you want.

minytrker
August 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Ouch that really sucks if I have to buy a new auto cal after every 8 vehicles. So what happens after its full, you just stack them in the corner or throw it away? Can you sell them back to efi? I don't understand the 8 max vehicles for the device what you do with maxed out auto cals?

Tordne
August 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Ouch that really sucks if I have to buy a new auto cal after every 8 vehicles. So what happens after its full, you just stack them in the corner or throw it away? Can you sell them back to efi? I don't understand the 8 max vehicles for the device what you do with maxed out auto cals?

See the intention of the AutoCal was to be sold to the customer with your tunes and remain with them. It originally wasn't expected that the device would be a boomerang between the tuner and many customers. As some people wanted to use it like that we decided to up the VIN license count to 8 (from one).

minytrker
August 17th, 2010, 08:53 AM
See the intention of the AutoCal was to be sold to the customer with your tunes and remain with them. It originally wasn't expected that the device would be a boomerang between the tuner and many customers. As some people wanted to use it like that we decided to up the VIN license count to 8 (from one).

Oh ok, that makes alot more sense. Sorry I was just thinking about using it for mail order tuning with data logging services. Honestly the thought of selling the auto cal and the customer keeping it never crossed my mind. Thanks for clearing it up.

L31Sleeper
August 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
The 8 License count also makes it possible to send one autocal to a GM loyal family to only pay for the hardware once.
One of my friends has 1) Tahoe 1) 1500HD 6.0 1) 2500 LB7 1) 2500 LLY

ScarabEpic22
August 18th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Oh ok, that makes alot more sense. Sorry I was just thinking about using it for mail order tuning with data logging services. Honestly the thought of selling the auto cal and the customer keeping it never crossed my mind. Thanks for clearing it up.

Yep, there are 2 types of situations where the AC makes sense and I only thought of the mail order and selling it to a single customer at first. Then someone asked if they could send it out to a customer, get it back, send it to another customer, etc. and I thought that was a great idea! Depends on how your shop is setup, do you mostly do mail order with sending PCMs back and forth or do you sell a tune to a customer and then support it? An AC is good for both, great for the latter.

L31Sleeper
August 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Until now customers that wanted that type of support had to buy a v2.

minytrker
August 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
The cars I remotely tune I still can't use the auto cal because it wont log a WB. The ones I dont need a wb on I just either sell them another pcm or we mail it back and forth for $20. I was really looking forward tot the auto cal but it looks like it wont really help me out right now with the way its set up. It would drive the cost of my mail order tunes way up there and I would end up actually make less profit per tune.

L31Sleeper
August 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM
The cars I remotely tune I still can't use the auto cal because it wont log a WB. The ones I dont need a wb on I just either sell them another pcm or we mail it back and forth for $20. I was really looking forward tot the auto cal but it looks like it wont really help me out right now with the way its set up. It would drive the cost of my mail order tunes way up there and I would end up actually make less profit per tune.

So you already have a good system, keep doing what your doing. The autocal is a good product but it's not for everyone.
It saves the customer the down time and if they have 4 cars/trucks that is $80 in shipping.
Your good customers might even be willing to promote your business and pop a tune in their friend's car.
I'm going to send one to my brother, give him a free tune in exchange for being a remote tune installer.

minytrker
August 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Oh I agree its a great system, just a little disappointed that it won't work out for me like I wanted. I am sure I will end up getting a couple to try out. I just wish the auto cal could read there stock tune out and data log a wb.

dc_justin
August 19th, 2010, 09:56 AM
To clarify, I'm not selling them one at a time, but will be able to sell in smaller quantities to those stateside that want to avoid the shipping and customs fees.

GAMEOVER
August 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Oh I agree its a great system, just a little disappointed that it won't work out for me like I wanted. I am sure I will end up getting a couple to try out. I just wish the auto cal could read there stock tune out and data log a wb.

I agree, it's a great system for stock vehicle's utilizing CL & O2's. Without WB data from Supercharged, Turbocharged, Nitrous equipped vehicle's it's useless. It's better to just purchase V2 Scan Only....IDK
Even stock vehicle's, how would you know where AFR is during WOT...Guess?

GMPX
August 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Without WB data from Supercharged, Turbocharged, Nitrous equipped vehicle's it's useless.
Mail order for a 200Hp nitrous hit :shock:
Thing is, I would say majority of tuners customers who Autocal is sent to are not the sort of people who will be fitting and wiring up a WBO2. This is no different to what any of the existing hand held tuners have been doing for the last 15 years or the existing send the PCM via post solutions, the major difference is that you can continue to work with the tuner to update the tune via Email and send logs files (minus WBO2).
Also, keep in mind the Diesel tuners out there, WBO2 logging isn't a big deal for 99% of them.

Cheers,
Ross

kbracing96
August 19th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Also, keep in mind the Diesel tuners out there, WBO2 logging isn't a big deal for 99% of them.

Cheers,
Ross

This is what I thought would be your primary market for Autocal as it will work perfect for them and you sell WAY more product to the diesel crowd as you do gas guys anyway. The funny thing is I haven't seen hardly any talk about the Autocals on the diesel forums I frequent...

GAMEOVER
August 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Mail order for a 200Hp nitrous hit :shock:
Thing is, I would say majority of tuners customers who Autocal is sent to are not the sort of people who will be fitting and wiring up a WBO2. This is no different to what any of the existing hand held tuners have been doing for the last 15 years or the existing send the PCM via post solutions, the major difference is that you can continue to work with the tuner to update the tune via Email and send logs files (minus WBO2).

Cheers,
Ross

Yeah Ross I understand, Diesel is were it's at. Just have to try something else I guess...:D
I didn't mean to say useless either, ooops sorry, just couldn't think of the right word to write...

8100 Power
August 19th, 2010, 02:38 PM
This is what I thought would be your primary market for Autocal as it will work perfect for them and you sell WAY more product to the diesel crowd as you do gas guys anyway. The funny thing is I haven't seen hardly any talk about the Autocals on the diesel forums I frequent...

Because no one knew what it was, or much less even heard of it.

L31Sleeper
August 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I agree, it's a great system for stock vehicle's utilizing CL & O2's. Without WB data from Supercharged, Turbocharged, Nitrous equipped vehicle's it's useless. It's better to just purchase V2 Scan Only....IDK
Even stock vehicle's, how would you know where AFR is during WOT...Guess?

Mail order tunes never used WBO2. Nor do Hypertech, Superchips, Diablosport, SCT, ect.
With the AutoCal the tune can be deployed without any vehicle downtime, removal of the PCM (some customers are not comfortable doing this)
or mailing the PCM. All of that over again if a re-tune is needed.

GAMEOVER
August 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Mail order tunes never used WBO2. Nor do Hypertech, Superchips, Diablosport, SCT, ect.
With the AutoCal the tune can be deployed without any vehicle downtime, removal of the PCM (some customers are not comfortable doing this)
or mailing the PCM. All of that over again if a re-tune is needed.

I see now, what it was meant for...Initial base tune or unnecessary removal of computer...:D

L31Sleeper
August 20th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Diablosport and SCT have similar capability BUT you have to be a dealership to put a custom tune on them.