dissonance
August 17th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I tried to flash a stock 06 redline this weekend and had major problems

V2 firmware 2.06.35 may 3, 2010
boot block 2.06.03 mar 3 2010
Software ver 7.5.6 build 117

Pcm Os is 12605256
Cal is 12603031
I was able to read the calibration just fine then I made a few modifications and went to flash.
V2 reported that the pcm was not licensed to the cable so I went ahead and locked the pcm to the cable

Then I started the flash and that’s when things went south, it loaded the boot loader and then failed during the flash. Well it never really started the flash I don’t think.
Tried again and it says no pcm detected. Turn the key off and waited a few mins and tried to start the car and nothing.

Tried the flash again and still nothing. Tried a cal and os flash and still cold not talk to the pcm.
Pulled the battery for 5 mins and got the same error

Called a friend that works for a local gm dealer and he says disconnect both the positive and negative battery terminals and then connect for 20 sec to discharge the car.
Tried again and nothing

Now the bad part is the pcm is now locked to my cable

Any ideas?

Blacky
August 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
D you have the *.blx file that was created during the failed flash attempt? Can you send it to paul@efilive.com. That will help us to determine what went wrong.
This page explains how to figure out the correct *.blx file to send: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=121

It is most likely caused by a low voltage condition. When EFILive commands the PCM to start erasing or programming, the PCM needs a full 12V instead of the 9V-11V that it can run on normally.
If the battery cannot supply the extra voltage then it is possible for the PCM to reset. If it resets during the erase or at the start of programming it can corrupt the memory in the PCM causing the PCM to enter into an infinite loop - attempting but failing to reset the PCM over and over.
(I had the same thing happen to me when I accidentally used a low voltage power supply when I was flashing a PCM on a bench harness and that was enough to cause what I explained above.)

If you end up replacing the PCM EFILive will provide a free replacement PCM license for the new PCM. You need to supply the proof of purcahse for the replacement PCM to obtain a replacement license.

Regards
Paul

dissonance
August 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
files should be on the way. let me know if you dont get them and thanks for the quick feedback

GMPX
August 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
The obligatory question I'm afraid, does this car have any iPod adaptors, XM Radio adaptors fitted? If yes, remove them. Also try pulling the BCM fuse before flashing.
That PCM should be recoverable (even on a failed full flash).

Cheers,
Ross

dissonance
August 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM
the car does have an after market headunit and maybe more. i'll make sure eveything is turned off and try the flash again. i'll be working with the car tomorrow night and i'll report back how it goes.

do you think flashscan will beable to recover or will i need to take it to the dealer for a tech2 flash?

Blacky
August 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Based on the info in the *.blx files, it looks pretty grim. Theoretically, that PCM should not be able to be destroyed by a failed re-flash attempt. However, it looks like the PCM is now brain-dead. It is possible that it was just that PCM's time to die.
If it is not brain dead the orange LED on FlashScan should be flashing around 4 times per second when connected to the vehicle.

I also recommend updating your software and your FlashScan's firmware to the latest available here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133
It may not solve the problem but it is a good idea to have the latest updates.
You should download and install both V7.5 and V8, because V8 contains the updated firmware for FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

dissonance
August 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
i'll check for the flashing led. i did this on sunday and i see there was a release on the 16th so i was upto date as of the 15th but i updated v7 and v8 plus the firmware for v2 today

i would try the 2nd pcm i have but i dont want to take the chance of locking my cable to another dead pcm and then his car will be down for sure.

GMPX
August 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Given the P12 PCM has a bootblock that remains untouched at all times there is really no reason why the PCM shouldn't be recoverable even if the OS is missing.
I'd suggest to pull some fuses and see if it can come back to life with them out, BCM, Radio etc.
I don't think the PCM is totally dead, I bet if it was on a bench harness it would come good.
It says in the blx trace the Erase completed so in theory it should just be in dead poll (the orange LED on Flashscan should blink at you).
Please let us know what happens in tomorrow.

Good Luck,
Ross

dissonance
August 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
thanks for the info and i'll keep you updated

ScarabEpic22
August 18th, 2010, 03:43 AM
the car does have an after market headunit and maybe more. i'll make sure eveything is turned off and try the flash again. i'll be working with the car tomorrow night and i'll report back how it goes.

do you think flashscan will beable to recover or will i need to take it to the dealer for a tech2 flash?

Actually unplug the radio and amp, etc from the class 2 line. Physically, not just shut them off. Even off they can transmit bad comms and screw everything up.

Upgrade to the latest 7.5.6 b130 and 8.1.2 b110 and report back. Try full flashing again, if it failed part way through you will need a full flash to get the OS properly back in.

dissonance
August 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
pulled bcm and radio fuse.

did a full os flash and efilive said there was a problem hit ok and it loaded the bootloader and flashed. car started. flashed again with the modified tune and car is up and running again.

thanks for the help guys

GMPX
August 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for letting us know Dissonance, figured there was probably something on the bus not behaving.

ScarabEpic22
August 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Dang aftermarket stuff broadcasting garbage when they shouldnt be. Tsk tsk to their developers.

joecar
August 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM
The BCM is OEM... lol :hihi:

[ is that possibly why GM left the BCM off the serial bus on the 4th Gen F-body, lol :hihi: ]