PDA

View Full Version : GM Performance Crate Motors

TurboCamaro
August 18th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Has anyone had any experience with tuning GM Performance crate motors?

I tried to connect to one and am unable to read the PCM. The scanner says only external PID's are available.

Tordne
August 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
What sort of motor is it? What does the ECM look like and what controller selection did you try?

If it is an LS3 it usually (from what I've seen from other customers) comes with an E67 ECM controller.

TurboCamaro
August 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I am not exactly sure what it is. Am trying to determine. I did however try Gen IV in the controller pulldown.
Will try some more of the controller options. We only tried a few and then thought something was different (maybe locked by GM Performance) with the crate motors so wanted to do some research on the forum.

Tordne
August 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
There are a number of controllers that are noted as being GenIV (E37, E38, E67). Definitely give the E67 and E38 options a go. It is not likely to be locked (not heard of that before) from GM Performance.

TurboCamaro
August 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks
I have been reading the forum regarding the VIN numbers.
Do the GM Performance generally come with a serial number having the appropriate first 2 digits (1 to 6G) or will it connect and then this can be changed.

Tordne
August 18th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Really couldn't tell you what the VIN is going to be. It really doesn't matter for EFILive what the VIN is though as the licensing is done against the controller serial number which is unique (and no relationship to VIN).

ScarabEpic22
August 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks
I have been reading the forum regarding the VIN numbers.
Do the GM Performance generally come with a serial number having the appropriate first 2 digits (1 to 6G) or will it connect and then this can be changed.

Thats for the other package, EFI doesnt care what the VIN is for pulling the tune. It loads the enhanced GM PIDs in the scan tool using the first 2 digits, so if it doesnt load the enhanced PIDs you'll need to change the VIN.

GMPX
August 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Try E40, E38 or E67. If it is a new ECM from GMPP then it's not locked.
Also would be worth putting in a real VIN, some of the scantool is auto configured based off the VIN.

L31Sleeper
August 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Andrew's first question never got a clear answer. What type of engine do you have ?

If it's a RamJet 350 or RamJet 502 you won't be able to use EFI Live, as these have the Delphi Marine ECM.
If you do have one of these engines I would suggest a PCM swap to a 12200411 you would have to change
the distributor, timing cover and modify the harness a little but I'm assuming you already own EFI Live so that
would be the least expensive way to go. Mike at EFI Connection (http://www.eficonnection.com) could help you out with connectors and wiring.
If you really want to keep the Marine ECM it is tunable with a different software / hardware package.
Marine EFI Burn (http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=32)

L31Sleeper
October 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Any Updates ??

Meister
October 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I do not know if it has been discovered if this is a Marine ECM or what is going on but I will share some input as I just finished a GMPP crate engine in a '57 Bel Air. This was their E-Rod crate motor with supplied ECM. There are no VIN numbers programmed into the ECM and these tunes are hacked and pieced together and are missing lots of information that will cause problems when reading/writing with EFIL. From my understanding the checksum and other programmed numerical values are left blank.

I will try to piece together some more information if the poster ever responds

TurboCamaro
October 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM
While I have not gotten back to this particular unit it is an LS3 so should be able to connect as an E67 just as with the Camaro having tach issues in a different thread. This is in a 67 Chev Shortie.