PDA

View Full Version : New engine reving problem

goldbergv95
August 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Just recently, I had my 02 engine swapped with an 06 engine. The torque was great but reving at higher gear is a problem. My truck wouldnt go beyond 4000 rpm at ease. It takes a while time to shift from 3000 rpm to 4000+ rpm especially when I stomp on the gas all the way down. Is there anything on the tune that could be changed to help on my shifting problem??

goldbergv95
August 27th, 2010, 10:26 AM
this started to happen after we installed a gibson exhaust. When I had the dual borla exhaust the shifts were fine.

ScarabEpic22
August 31st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hmmm, anything else change besides the exhaust?

If you just changed the exhaust then it could be a physical transmission issue. I would change the shift settings of the shifts to make sure the upshift and downshifts dont overlap. Also, I noticed your mph shift points are waay off, I barely got to 42-43mph at 6100rpms and 3.73 gears. No reason yours should be set to 46mph with your 4.10s. Change them down to like 40mph and smooth the shift points as well, I keep my mph set to 40 then use the RPM point to command the shifts at WOT.

goldbergv95
August 31st, 2010, 09:22 PM
We installed the oem fan clutch back and swapped in a 06 engine.

That is exactly what my tuner told me. He thinks that by fixing the trans caliubration it should solve the slow reving above 4000 rpm. I have the tune but didnt get a chance to test due to school just started.

Ill test it this weekend and let you know. or maybe show you the tune we i convert it to efilive.

Hmmm, anything else change besides the exhaust?

If you just changed the exhaust then it could be a physical transmission issue. I would change the shift settings of the shifts to make sure the upshift and downshifts dont overlap. Also, I noticed your mph shift points are waay off, I barely got to 42-43mph at 6100rpms and 3.73 gears. No reason yours should be set to 46mph with your 4.10s. Change them down to like 40mph and smooth the shift points as well, I keep my mph set to 40 then use the RPM point to command the shifts at WOT.

ScarabEpic22
September 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Well coming from efans back to a fan clutch is going to make it rev slower, no doubt about it. That extra 10lbs sitting on the front of the engine hurts its ability to rev.

goldbergv95
September 4th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Well coming from efans back to a fan clutch is going to make it rev slower, no doubt about it. That extra 10lbs sitting on the front of the engine hurts its ability to rev.

Yeah one member from trailvoy found that out.

BTW, i just got the tune and the truck drives great! I made log just to make sure everything is perfect.

ScarabEpic22
September 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I want efans so badly on the 02, but its now my mom's DD and soon to be the spare truck once again (maybe even delegated to duty in California, 3000mi from me! :( ). The only reason I havent done them on the SS is towing, I need the full towing capacity. Hmmm maybe Ill get efans and get a manual fan switch for when/if the temps start rising above where I want them.

goldbergv95
September 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I think you can still tow with the efans. GC STR8 can tow with there efans.

ScarabEpic22
September 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think you can still tow with the efans. GC STR8 can tow with there efans.

Yea but we have tiny radiators which is where the problem lies. I probably would be ok with my 4000lbs boats and efans, but I dont want to chance it yet. When I can afford a better radiator then Ill do it all at once.

goldbergv95
September 7th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Yea but we have tiny radiators which is where the problem lies. I probably would be ok with my 4000lbs boats and efans, but I dont want to chance it yet. When I can afford a better radiator then Ill do it all at once.

Is that the reason why I lose so much coolant with the efans? I was begining to wonder if the efans were problem. But If i have the money I would ask a radiator company to customade one for us I6 thats if anybody knows a company that can do it...

ScarabEpic22
September 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
You were losing coolant? Not an efans problem, check your hoses and radiator for cracks. Or maybe your head gasket on the old motor?

There is a company that makes custom radiators for our trucks, check out the tbssowners site and search for it. Cant think of the company name right now.