PDA

View Full Version : TCM experiment

killerbee
September 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I decided to test the integrity of the TCM software, 1st gen LLY. I basically made tow/haul identical to normal mode, by copying all values in "A" column, to "D" column. In my mind this should create 2 "normal" modes that behave identical.

To my surprise, the T/H mode still behaves like, well tow/haul, with all its lockup bucking behavior stemming from overuse of TC lockup. I am ataching the file. The major complaint I have in the result, is that the TCC lockup doesn't seem to be affected by my changes. It is still going to 0 slip in the first gears (obvious bucking).

I did this because I could not tune tow/haul with my intended refinements, and that darned TC is so harsh in 2nd and 3rd. Have I missed something, or has something been left off in development?

Thanks guys, and yes, TCM tuning is a new adventure.

stacks04
September 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have made some changes to the tow haul shift point only and have had terrible luck. I also have tried to make the tcm lock in 2nd during regular driving for mileage testing and also had terrible luck with it.

killerbee
September 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hopefully this will grab a hole in Ross' agenda.

I am pretty happy with normal mode. T/H mode needs something. The TCC tables, D5010-5013, D5015-D5018, do not seem to function for column "D", defined as tow/haul.

For example, in D5010, the TC should never lock (158 mph) during mild acceleration, but it does lock shortly after the 1-2 shift.

vortecfcar
September 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM
T/H mode is column B.

killerbee
September 9th, 2010, 09:37 AM
What is column D?

Are you saying they are mislabeled?

killerbee
September 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Nick, thank you! That was it. What I don't get is how this error has stood in the software for 5 years undetected. :) If you know, what is column C? D?

Is the new TCM software similarly mislabled?

I guess we can turn this thread into a "what do we know?" thread. Is anybody out there tuning the transmission? :) I really love the improvements, once again factory tuning is really trashy.

GMPX
September 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I would even appreciate some confirmation on what you find. We've been here several times before, we change the labels, then a new set of complains come in.
Maybe if you can get a list of year models that you think are wrong? or would that be all of them?

Cheers,
Ross

killerbee
September 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Right now, I have only verified this.

1. On LLY, A column is normal mode
2. On LLY, B column is Tow/haul, just as Nick said.

I do not know what C and D are yet.

I did find an old thread where maybe the LB7 actually had a different arrangement.
I don't have license capability for the 06-on TCM, but will be glad to do some tests when I do.