PDA

View Full Version : An easy 100 hp

wait4me
December 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Well, Looking at all the tables and checking things out, And of coarse, reading on how the heck these motors even work, "Still confuses me" lol,

I have been playing with two tables in peticular..

The main and pilot fuel injector tables..

The pilot table was introduced with the duramax engine, and was a major contribution to why it is so much quieter than the previous diesel motors.
And the more air and fuel you dump into them the more power they make, no limits until you cant supply any more fuel, or a hardware falure of coarse..

For my testing,
I have just been adding more to the Gm curve here and there and have had major good results.. You can even put more in a certain area and it makes it feel like a nitrous boost.. The more fuel you give it the power it makes, but i quit at 100 hp on the dyno. Ill play more when i have time. But if any of the new guys want the tune for thier truck just email me ill set you up with something you can use. :)

Egt temperatures are pretty important to make sure they dont get too high. You can get a really cheap thermocouple for about 65 bucks and it hooks right up the the flash scan unit. :)

dfe1
December 6th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'm going to start experimenting with a friend's 01 Duramax and being a "diesel virgin" I'd sure appreciate some insight. I was going to start bumping the fuel table, but I'm not sure how much. If you have a base tune you can share, I'd appreciate it if you'd send it to dfe1@usa.net. Also, what's you're opinion on increasing boost? Is there any point in doing that if all you're looking for is a 75-100 hp increase? Thanks.

Dave

Dirk Diggler
December 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM
can you shoot me an email ldhasty at gmail dot com. thanks

All American Joe
December 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Cool Stuff for the Duramax... Can't wait to save enough cash to get in on the tuning action. I have an 01 and am running a Edge Box. Can't lose the speedlimiter. Anyway, I've been following the advancements of EFILive on a board for Diesels. I'll be watching this for more advance knowledge. Great Job to all of those involved with the work. :D

Redline Motorsports
December 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Jesse, let me know if this stuff works on the LLY motor as I have a 05' Duramax and as you know the dyno!

Howard

caver
December 7th, 2005, 04:03 AM
If you can display UEGO voltage on your WB use that. You dont want to exceed 3.20 volts max 3.10.
Engine life will be shortened if you get carry away. EGT's work but the lengh of time you load it influences it a fair bit.

Diesels are lovely for making easy power

Racehemi
December 7th, 2005, 04:57 AM
If you can display UEGO voltage on your WB use that. You dont want to exceed 3.20 volts max 3.10.
Engine life will be shortened if you get carry away. EGT's work but the lengh of time you load it influences it a fair bit.

Why do you reference a voltage(3.2v) versus a specific AFR or Lambda? With Stoich for diesel being 14.6 what AFR makes peak HP? Torque? What do you mean by "Engine life will be shortened if you get carry away"?
Thanks,
Dave

wait4me
December 9th, 2005, 05:00 AM
If someone has a place to host my modified and stock 2002 lb7 file email me, ill put them up for everyone to see for a little bit. :grd: :eek:

:)

foff667
December 9th, 2005, 06:14 AM
If someone has a place to host my modified and stock 2002 lb7 file email me, ill put them up for everyone to see for a little bit. :grd: :eek:

you could email them to me whenn1@comcast.net ive got tons of room

Dirk Diggler
December 9th, 2005, 07:28 AM
I can host it send it to ldhasty@gmail.com

foff667
December 9th, 2005, 08:14 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~whenn1/2002duramax100hptest.tun
http://home.comcast.net/~whenn1/2002ChevyDuramaxstock1.bin

Redline Motorsports
December 9th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Jesse,

send me a copy of the file as I am very interested in seeing the usable parameters. Send it to tech@redline-motorsports.net

Thanks

Howard

foff667
December 9th, 2005, 08:19 AM
check out my last post howard...if anyone has any problems with the downloads let me know.

Dirk Diggler
December 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
hmmm neither one of these files will open in the tuner

dfe1
December 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I couldn't get them to open either. In fact, the 100hp file launched FlashScan into Not Responding Land. :-(

foff667
December 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM
don't feel bad guys I couldn't open the bin with hptuners lol

Blacky
December 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~whenn1/2002_Chevy_Duramax_stock1.bin (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewhenn1/2002_Chevy_Duramax_stock1.bin)
http://home.comcast.net/~whenn1/2002_duramax_100hp_test.tun (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewhenn1/2002_duramax_100hp_test.tun)

The *.tun file is corrupt.

The *.bin file can be read with EFILive if you remove the last two characters $0D,$0A (carriage return, line feed). Use HexEdit or similar program to remove them.

Regards
Paul

foff667
December 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
well i sent the files to larry...for some reason the files jesse sent me the bin was 529kb but when im downloading it im getting 513...and the other one too is off a bit...not sure why. Hopefully larry can get it hosted for everyone so see....my bad :(

joecar
December 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Are you using FTP...?
If so, set binary mode.

Redline Motorsports
December 11th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I couldn't get it to download at all! I would like to see the 100 hp tune if someone could forward it to me.

Thanks

Howard

dfe1
December 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I couldn't get it to download at all! I would like to see the 100 hp tune if someone could forward it to me.

Thanks

Howard
File has been sent

Dave Lewis
December 12th, 2005, 11:38 AM
dfe1,

Could you forward it to me also? I'd like to compare to the ones I've played with.

a78turbo
December 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM
If anyone could send me a copy of those programs too, that would be much appreciated. Thanks

dfe1
December 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM
dfe1,

Could you forward it to me also? I'd like to compare to the ones I've played with.

File sent (bla bla) reply is now 10 characters long

caver
December 13th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Why do you reference a voltage(3.2v) versus a specific AFR or Lambda? With Stoich for diesel being 14.6 what AFR makes peak HP? Torque? What do you mean by "Engine life will be shortened if you get carry away"?
Thanks,

I refer to Uego voltage on diesels as that is what I used when I tuned them.
I have never used a AFR when tuning diesels but there are comparison tables out there. I "speak" AFR and UEGO. On petrol engines Uego 3.00v is around 0.5% CO or 15:1 AFR. 2.85v is about 2.5%co or 13.4 AFR(from memory)
On diesels the more fuel you give it the more power it makes untill its pumping clouds of black smoke and melting pistons.

Past 3.10v Uego the EGT's are getting very high and engine damage is not far away.
I personally am not brave enough to run a diesel that hot I have noticed that some of the factory diesels ie Mitsubishi run 2.95 volts at low rpm but they have a history of cracking heads.

Remember that diesels work the opposite of petrol engines in that leaner mixtures run cooler and richer mixtures run hotter.

dfe1
December 13th, 2005, 06:56 AM
I just tried the "100hp" tune on an 01 Duramax and while it definitely improves acceleration, there are some part throttle drivability issues. It also seems as though the trans isn't particularly happy when it's time to shift. I didn't have a chance to data log, so I can't provide more details. I'll do that in the next day or two.

Racehemi
December 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks Caver!

Could someone forward a copy of the "100hp" tune to 1Dskinner at Comcast dot net (1Dskinner@Comcast.net)

Thanks,
Dave

dfe1
December 13th, 2005, 10:38 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~whenn1/2002duramax100hptest.tun (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewhenn1/2002duramax100hptest.tun)
http://home.comcast.net/~whenn1/2002ChevyDuramaxstock1.bin (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewhenn1/2002ChevyDuramaxstock1.bin)
These files now download and open with no problem. If the links above don't work, go pack to Foff667's original post and click the links there.

wait4me
December 14th, 2005, 07:12 AM
You have to Do a relearn proceedure for the trans to act better, It is just a little more power than it is set up for on the trans? Hopefully GMPX will get the Allison controller cracked so we can play with those settings and be in control..
I forgot what i had to do to make the trans normal again.

Im not saying that this tune is going to be good for components, I was just putting it up there for people to see how simple adding such a large amount of power is.. :) 100 hp is alot of power added,
2 fueling tables is what made all the difference. you can see in the history tab of the .tun file of all the tables i changed. Thanks :)

Redline Motorsports
January 9th, 2006, 03:00 PM
You have to Do a relearn proceedure for the trans to act better, It is just a little more power than it is set up for on the trans? Hopefully GMPX will get the Allison controller cracked so we can play with those settings and be in control..
I forgot what i had to do to make the trans normal again.

Im not saying that this tune is going to be good for components, I was just putting it up there for people to see how simple adding such a large amount of power is.. :) 100 hp is alot of power added,
2 fueling tables is what made all the difference. you can see in the history tab of the .tun file of all the tables i changed. Thanks :)

The trick to get the tranny to relearn is bring the truck to 50 mph and downshift the truck into first while letting the truck coast (no throttle!). It will down shift a gear at a time. Let the truck come to a complete stop and repeat three more times. Each time you do it the tranny will firm up the shifts. More driving will continue to improve the shifts. Its "adaptive learning" at its finest!

Also 100 HP (rear wheel) tune will definately "limp" the tranny! This is when the converter speed varies from the crankshaft speed. The PCM looks at this variance as "slippage". Once this occurs the truck is forced into 4th gear and down shifts are reduced. Engine check light will also come on. Any looking to run this much power (or more) should think about installing a triple lockup converter for starters. The other problem with the Allision 1000 tranny is the 4th and 5th gear clutch packs. Those gears are where the truck starts pulling like a frieght train, however they have the least amount of holding power. Ultimately a Level 4 or 5 tranny will allow around 1000 RWFT!:banana:

I have been running a 100 HP tune in my o5' for the last week. It runs like a stock LS1 car!:rockon:

Howard

Kennedy Diesel
January 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM
The only way to make the Allison fast learn is to reset or preset the TAP cells with a scan tool. At present, the Tech 2 is the tool of choice.

Pulling the trans down at 50 mph Has never been proven to me to do anything for upshifts.

Wasted Income
January 10th, 2006, 03:39 AM
The only way to make the Allison fast learn is to reset or preset the TAP cells with a scan tool. At present, the Tech 2 is the tool of choice.

Pulling the trans down at 50 mph Has never been proven to me to do anything for upshifts.

Yep, and I remember someone posting a bulletin or something directly from Allison on dieselplace about how the 50mph first gear thing was a myth and did NOTHING to help the trans re-learn.

hdmax
January 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Also 100 HP (rear wheel) tune will definately "limp" the tranny!

That`s funny stuff! I have been running 110 or 135 hp Quad for 50,000 miles, and Never have limped on the 110. And before you say it isn't 110, My truck dyno`ed 403 rwhp on the 135 hp setting, and 378 rwhp on the 110 hp setting. So the 110 is really closer to 130 rwhp. While the 135 is more like 150rwhp. Oh yea, it dyno`ed 252 stock that same day. (AFE, and Banks exhaust)

touch racing
January 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Wow since I had my SC IV put in I can't remember the last time I ran less than a 180 HP tune. Oh well I'm sure I will be back to the small tunes as soon as my laptop shows up.

All American Joe
February 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Can someone send me the 100hp tune?

Easymon4u@msn.com

TurboBeagleBuggy
February 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
100 hp LB7 tune in your inbox right now Joe.

knalb
March 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM
They files do not appear to be available for download any longer. If you'll send them to knalb@hotmail.com I will put them somewhere that is a bit more reliable than comcast. :D

knalb
March 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Ok, I don't have the bin file just yet, but here is the tun:

http://knalb.org/duramax/2002duramax100hptest.tun

titanspanker01
March 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
i give the 100hp tune a try send it to drmerboy@hotmail.com

knalb
March 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM
i give the 100hp tune a try send it to drmerboy@hotmail.com

You can download it from the link in my previous post. It will stay there untill the building burns down, or I finally get my project site up.

Gray Gmax
March 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Well, Looking at all the tables and checking things out, And of coarse, reading on how the heck these motors even work, "Still confuses me" lol,,,, Ill play more when i have time. But if any of the new guys want the tune for thier truck just email me ill set you up with something you can use. :)

I have been just getting familar with the demo and some tunes. Can anyone tell me why there are hills in the middle of the graphs/fuel tables? I keep thinking a more averaged graph/table would be desirable. Probably just my thinking. I understand if you were looking for a boost back in the seat, but then why lower the fuel rate to then add it again at a higher rpm. is it to light the turbo or something?

just been wondering and finial had time to ask. Now if my new business would just take off and get me out of debt. i could get me a license and start having some real fun

thanks

Tom

UMS TECH
March 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Just got the Flash and scan this week doing lots of reading,have been making other companys money buying programers and selling them in my shop am a quik learner thanks for the tips you guys have posted first day on the fourm trying to catch up. From miami florida the sun and the Hurricanse affect the brain cells. Anyways would like to compare my stock tune on my truck (the ginypig) to this 100hp tune so i can learn what changes need to be made to the PCM to make power. is it pretty reliable how is it working out for whoever has used it:thankyou2:

dfe1
March 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
The "100-hp" tune works fairly well, but can cause transmission shifting problems. I scaled the fuel back a bit and the trans seems a lot happier. It's widely agreed that much above 75-hp you really need to give some consideration to transmission mods.

Chuck CoW
April 5th, 2006, 05:46 AM
hey guys....I've been following some of the links to the 100hp tunes...I need an early and a late (05 and 06) duramax tune to start playing with.

If any of you guys have one please send them to chuckman@bellatlantic.net

also, any feedback or advice from anyone who has played with them would be appreciated....

Chuck CoW

never satisfied
April 5th, 2006, 03:29 PM
06:confused: It wont work on 06.
For 05 check here
http://dieselplace.com/forum/downloads.php?catid=1