PDA

View Full Version : LS1 ECU question

JBordenDesigns
September 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I am working on a custom project and would like to use '99-'02 LS1 harness and computer. The catch is that this is for a 4 cyl application. Is there any way to keep 4 cylinders from firing using EFI Live? I am not particulary worried about firing order because I can pick and choose what coils to hook up but the real issue is how to keep the computer from firing the remaining 4 which would cause a delay.

My reasoning for using the harness and computer from a LS1 is for its simplicity and it is basically the closest factory computer to a stand alone system.

The motor is a Ford Duratec (newer aluminum version) and T-5 transmission

Thanks for any input

turbo_bu
September 20th, 2010, 03:11 AM
The big problem would be in getting the crank / cam position sensors to work (i.e. - 24X and 1X signals). Otherwise, you could probably just not hook up the "extra" coils / injectors and it should work OK.

JBordenDesigns
September 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Right, and that was the first thing I thought would be the major hold up but I I was able to relocate a factory relucter wheel onto the crank pulley and use a factory 24x pickup. Don Kinder from Slowhawk Performance said the delay of the comp trying to fire the other cylinders may cause problems.

ScarabEpic22
September 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hmmm you honestly are probably better off using an E37 or E67 ECM to control a 4 cylinder motor. I was thinking about suggesting a 97-04+ 4cyl PCM, but they're like my P10 I6 and a PITA to work with. The E37 is only used on 4 bangers plus the 4.3L V6, the E67 ran some I4s but mostly V6/V8s. Both can be run without a BCM if you apply the VATS patch, just like the LS1 PCM. But, I forget what input trigger the E37 uses, the E67 uses a 58x reluctor.

Highlander
February 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Interested in a project like this... Why issues with the delay? all you have to skip is certain cylinders and that is it? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks

Madspeed
February 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Interested in a project like this... Why issues with the delay? all you have to skip is certain cylinders and that is it? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks
It will be looking for the delay time between each cylinder and the missing cylinders nt firing will delay the time it take to see next trigger and think its a miss fire it will go int limp mode and start blinking he cel