PDA

View Full Version : newguy...

blindawg
September 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hello all,
im 16 and newish to this stuff, so any and all help is great. :help2:
My vehicle is a 2000 S10 with 2002 OS
i just got done swapping my old black box PCM for the newer 0411 PCM and im excited to jump into all of this.
Taz is helping me get started with a LC Cax file so in a few days ill have installed one and will have that knowlage.
on one of the members avatar it says "Tunned with EFILive" is this done with a CAX file?

Thanks to everyone,
Branden

5.7ute
September 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
No, a cax is a file for opening table parameters in the tune file. The tuned by efilive message only occurs during flashing in some systems.
See here. http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13738

ScarabEpic22
September 26th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Yup, EFILive can display whatever you put in the text file on compatible clusters during a flash. But, it can even depend on the model of the vehicle, for example my TrailBlazers have the Driver Info Center (DIC) option so I can see fuel economy, miles til empty, etc so I see what's in my text file during a flash but guys who have the same truck without a DIC cluster dont get anything.

Chevy366
September 27th, 2010, 04:38 AM
It is a small text file and can be changed to read what ever you want , as Erik said , there has to be a way of seeing it thought .
Changed it to say , Flashing , Ready to roll !

blindawg
September 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
ooooh, gotchya.
well is there any good CAX files worth doing? like in your opinions?

Thanks,
Branden

ScarabEpic22
September 28th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Im not sure you understand exactly what a .cax file does yet, it allows outside (ie not EFILive) parties to add tables that EFILive has not added. It is not something you do, it just gives you more tables to change than the regular EFILive calibration does. If you want to create them, you need to be well versed in hex editing, bin disassembly, and know where the breakpoints occur and the units for different tables. Way over my head still and Ive been at this for 4.5 years now (I started when i was 16 and a half so Im right there with ya man).

joecar
September 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
For example, if you know of a table that is not mentioned by the EFILive tunetool, and you know it's address/format/attributes in flash, then a cax file allows you to define this table for viewing/editing by the EFILive tunetool.

nevinsb
September 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Lean cruise is the only one really worth doing since they added "Dynamics" tables to Efilive, we don't need the transient fueling cax files any

5.7ute
September 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Lean cruise is the only one really worth doing since they added "Dynamics" tables to Efilive, we don't need the transient fueling cax files any

There are still a couple of tables that the .cax files support for dynamics that are necessary. For instance the boiling time & impact modifiers. Once we get some time the .cax files will be edited to remove the doubled up parameters.
Blindawg, most of the time, the tables already defined by Efilive will be all you need to get a vehicle tuned well. Making .cax files can be extremely time consuming. So those of us that do make them look for a genuine need before making them up.

nevinsb
September 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Total face palm there. I thought "Evaporation Time" B3403 and B3404 was the same as "Boiling time," but I see those aren't present in other calibrations, just the ones I have been looking at recently. Guess it's time to go to bed.

5.7ute
September 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Total face palm there. I thought "Evaporation Time" B3403 and B3404 was the same as "Boiling time," but I see those aren't present in other calibrations, just the ones I have been looking at recently. Guess it's time to go to bed.

Must be time for bed. Evaporation & boiling time are the same. In the .cax file there is also an airflow modifier that works with these tables.

blindawg
September 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Aaaahhhhh...
Thanks for the explination Erik. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Being 21 and having the vehicles described in ur sig sounds like you make some money. I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the help guys.
Branden

ScarabEpic22
October 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Aaaahhhhh...
Thanks for the explination Erik. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Being 21 and having the vehicles described in ur sig sounds like you make some money. I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the help guys.
Branden

No problem Branden, Im actually still a full time student here in Spokane. Have 2 more semesters left then Im into the real world...uh oh! I work with computers on the side and did Windows 7 deployment over the summer at my internship. Hope to be a systems administrator in the future, then a CIO.

The 02 is my parents truck, it was the 3rd vehicle so it made sense for me to drive it when I turned 16 (and then the TB obsession began). All the mods on both trucks are my doing, mostly from mowing lawns and doing computer repair on the side. The SS is mine, I sold a 52 Chrysler and split the cost of my SS with my parents.

blindawg
October 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
how many years of college is needed for what you are going into?
i was wanting to be a welder, but as i started going through Vo-Tech for it i want to use it as a fall back kind of thing and now that ive started learning this tunning stuff im intersted in computers.

sorry for getting off topic guys...
Branden

ScarabEpic22
October 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Ill PM ya instead, we can PM/email instead.