PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the tach 68 camaro tic toc tach

68problemchild
September 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM
OK, on the tach:

Cranking

Reads pretty accurate at 750-850 idle. 3 was 2400 at idle. 8 is pretty much spot on.

but getting this error:

Error code: ERR_IGNORED/4
No response from vehicle.

Taz
September 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear you got it working ... ignore my inquiry in the other thread - had been curious as to which values had ultimately worked ...

Regards,
Taz

68problemchild
September 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Any ideas on this new error code?

The ECM does not need the value to be 6 to work correctly does it? I put it back to 6, still getting error code.

Taz
September 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
G1202 & G1203 are tach output from ECM - shouldn't cause an issue - as these are output, not input values. If I recall, the original values were 2, then we tried 6 (used by LS1-B PCM) ... then fine tuned to 8 - which corrected Tach reading.

Not sure what you mean by an error code ... never tuned an E38 ... DTC code ?? Or error between modules ?? Original Tach output I believe was serial data - probably to the IPC ...

Regards,
Taz

68problemchild
September 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks.

I thought maybe the ecm needed this tach data to calibrate the program but if its just output, that is cool.

Scan tune says this whe I try to read now:

Its probably unrelated.

Taz
September 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
OK ... error from Scan Tool, not E38 ... now I understand ... what were you trying to do with the Scan Tool when you received that error ?

Regards,
Taz

68problemchild
September 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Just trying to read the car while its running. It wont read it now.

ScarabEpic22
October 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Read it while running? Or do you mean scan? You cannot read or flash while the engine is running, but scanning/logging is done with the engine on. Latest software, etc?

joecar
October 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
+1 reading the PCM must be done with engine not running.

68problemchild
October 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yes its all updated as of last week, when it was reading.

By the way I changed tach to "9"s from "8"s and its more accurate.

All that said, I can reflash but it wont log or scan anymore. What is up? I did have the laptop plugged in. Please tell me I did not brick the controller.

Bug report

joecar
October 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks.

I thought maybe the ecm needed this tach data to calibrate the program but if its just output, that is cool.

Scan tune says this whe I try to read now:

Its probably unrelated.Where does it say this error...?

68problemchild
October 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Car not started but key on. Says this error when I try to log or push record on Scan V7.5. I used just start it up after I pushed record so I could log selected pids. If I am saying all this with the correct nomenclature.

Blacky
October 1st, 2010, 06:00 PM
If the car's running you have not bricked anything.
When do you get the error? When you try and scan/log it with the Scan Tool software?
Or when you try and read it using the Tuning Tool software?

If Scan Tool, then save the error report and email it to me at paul@efilive.com with a link to this thread.
If tuning tool, send me the appropriate blx file as described here: http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=8254-QOGC-9586

Regards
Paul

68problemchild
October 2nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hey at least I did not brick it. Great news.

I think the last time it worked I was fussing with the 02 sensors trying to get them to read via the LC-1. I reformatted the removable V2 disk. V2 has the most recent refreshed version. Not sure if any of this is relevant.

Scan tool to record / log an idling session gives me this error when right after I press the green button and select the E38 controller, then I hit record

Alert EFI live detected an error

Tune tool can read the ECM to identify it and fill in the unit data.

Thanks.

Blacky
October 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
The problem is twofold:
1. EFILive V7 can only display high speed data if you have 24 or fewer channels of PID data selected. You have 44 channels selected. With 44 channels selected the data logging drops to generic mode, which will only return about 1 frame of data per second.
2. In generic mode, the E38 controller does not support the PID SAE.EGT_PCT (I don't know why), so it does not return any data and that's why you see the error.

The solutions are:
1. Reduce the channel count to 24 or less and then your PID selection may contain SAE.EGR_PCT because EFILive will be able to use high speed logging.
Or
2. Remove the SAE.EGR_PCT PID from your PID selection and log in generic mode. However, you'll only get about 1 frame per second.

The number of PIDs and the channels required to log them are displayed at the bottom of the PID selection tab page.

Regards
Paul

68problemchild
October 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys. Now I just have to get the o2's working.

Congrats on getting an LS3 VVT running. GM does not even have it!

You can listen to it in the link.

dorramide7
October 15th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Just trying to read the car while its running. It wont read it now.

Read it while running? Or do you mean scan? You cannot read or flash while the engine is running, but scanning/logging is done with the engine on. Latest software, etc?

68problemchild
October 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I am new soo...."logging" is what I meant.

For someone else, I had requested too many pids and this caused an error on trying to log. Not sure what the magic number was but just reduce your pids if you get the error described in this thread. Then it works again.

gmh308
December 11th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Congrats on getting an LS3 VVT running. GM does not even have it!

Actually GM does have an LS3 VVT.........its called an L99. ;-) :)