PDA

View Full Version : 2010 LMM VAT relearn

killerbee
October 4th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Using a used ECM, tested good, I flashed it with a stock 594 OS, changed VATs G0302 time to 10 seconds. Installed in vehicle, batteries charged, but the security light is not going out in 10 seconds.

Any thoughts on what is happening?

killerbee
October 4th, 2010, 08:44 AM
update: while I programmed 10 seconds, the light goes out after exactly 10 minutes. 3x and still not turning over. Does have fuel injector codes, if that means anything. Will not programming injector rates cause a no-start?

jpgmtech
October 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Fuel injector flow-rate DTC's shouldn't cause a no-crank. Any VTD codes?

killerbee
October 4th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Probably, there is an anti-theft msg on the DIC.

killerbee
October 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
no security codes, but has "service anti
theft system" on DIC

It is really strange that the light goes out in 10 minutes, despite 10 sec programming, and at the end of what appears normal relearn, still no-crank.

JoshH
October 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Why don't you just program the VIN into the ECM?

killerbee
October 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
IIRC, I did. Can you explain Josh?

JoshH
October 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
If you look at the drop down menus at the top of the tune tool, you will see one that says flash. Click on that and scroll down to the selection titled "PCM security...". A window should pop up. You will need to select your ECM from the drop down menu in there, and you will see several tabs at the top. One of them says "VIN/BCC". If you are hooked up to the truck, it should show your current VIN, and you can program a new VIN into the ECM if the correct VIN isn't already shown. If I'm not mistaken, the key cycle thing is just a longer, slower method of forcing the truck's VIN into a new ECM. The only problems I've heard of with VATS and new ECMs is no remote start. Without searching, I don't remember how to fix it, but I did it on my dad's LMM when I swapped ECMs on his truck.

killerbee
October 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I do routinely change the VIN. 99% sure I did with this one.

I am now wondering if somehow the counter got reset? If there is no other ideas, I may just have to retrieve it and try again. I am stumped for now.

ScarabEpic22
October 5th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I didnt think you could actually change the VATS timer once it's programmed into the ECM (gas or diesel) for the first time? If Im wrong that would be sooo nice, I just havent tested it as I dont want to brick an ECM.

killerbee
October 5th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. Anyone have any remote ideas?

rcr1978
October 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I thought I read somewhere once a LMM ecm goes through so many keys cycles for the vat relink its done it won't ever relearn to a new bcm/truck. I'm not 100% on this just remember reading it somewhere. Can someone that has swapped a used LMM ecm sucessfully verify? The ones I've done where new and I did the same thing Josh mentioned.

killerbee
November 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
1. could this be a VIN programming issue?
2. does anyone just disable VATs as a solution?

sledog
February 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Did you ever find a solution? I'm in the process of doing the same. Picked up a used ecm out of a 08 LMM and am going to install it in a 2010 LMM. Tried doing the VATS relearn and resulted in the exact same problem as you.."service anti theft system" on DIC.

jpgmtech
February 2nd, 2011, 03:54 AM
So far it seems that the only way the LMM ECM will learn the VATS passwords is with GM's Service Programming System "vehicle theft learn" process. The old manual way does not seem to be enabled, even though the parameters listed seem to hint that it is possible. The only option that leaves us is disabling VATS completely, unless you can find a dealer to do the vehicle theft learn on the new ECM for you.

killerbee
February 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Ross, could you get involved?

sledog
March 11th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Did you ever find a solution KB?

killerbee
March 11th, 2011, 09:27 AM
No. But thanks for waking up this thread.

sledog
March 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Being a newbie to efi live I have done some searching around and about the only thing I can come up with is to disable Vats in efi live then program to the second ecm and see if the truck will fire up...

GMPX
March 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The theft learn process is the same command for all CAN ECM's, if Bosch don't follow this and there is some other method the TechII has to use, we can't do much to fix that.

sledog
March 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Ok, so after playing with things, the only way I was able to have the truck fire up and run was to click "disable" in G0301 (VATS) and program truck's VIN into the used ECM. I also programed the injector flow rates from GPM to the used ECM but still have injector trouble codes?

Like KillerBee, I also changed G0302 but to 30 (seconds) then set G0304 to 1 and then followed the procedure in the description for G0302. But it still took 10 min for the security light to go out. Thats when I tried clicking "disable" in G0301 as described above and I was good to go.

killerbee
March 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I also changed G0302 but to 30 (seconds) then set G0304 to 1 and then followed the procedure in the description for G0302. But it still took 10 min for the security light to go out.

did you try this cycle 3 times? I did and it did not work. It did at one time though, so this is a mystery.

We can disable VATs, but are we losing by doing this?

sledog
March 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM
did you try this cycle 3 times? I did and it did not work.

I guess we can disable VATs, but are we losing by doing this?

Yes I did cycle 3 times as per G0302 description procedure and it did not work.

I don't think we are losing by disabling VATS, its not like there is a big sign on your truck saying its not active for would be thieves to see.