PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: V8 Pass-Through Reading/Flashing Support (pre-release)

Blacky
October 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
This pre-release is beta level software. It is not 100% ready for production use, so we advise against installing it into production environments. You should only update/use this pre-release in environments where failure can be tolerated and recovered using other processes.

Very Important: Paul is currently in hospital for some back surgery so any existing problems with this release will not be fixed for at least 10 - 14 days as of the 28th of October, please keep this in mind before you install.

Updated Oct 26, 2010
Version 8.1.2 build 120 has been updated to fix minor bugs in build 119:

We've activated the pass-through reading mode and now the pass-through cal-flashing mode in the V8 software. You can download the V8 software update here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.1.2.120_Setup.exe (18MB).

The V7 software has also been updated. A few bug fixes and minor enhancements are available in the V7 software. You can download the latest V7 software here:
http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.6.136_Setup.exe (90MB).

There have been a number of changes to the currently available V8 software, most notably:

Look and feel of the V8 software has been updated (again).

The V8 software is now window-based. The tabbed based design proved to be too complicated and difficult to use.

FlashScan/AutoCal boot block and firmware have been updated.

Latest boot block is V2.07.01
Latest firmware is V2.07.02

Pass-through reading/flashing has been added.

Select the "F3: Tune" option to open the pass-thru reading/flashing tab page.

Two new ECM's supported, E39 & E78:

E39 Vehicle List:
Engine codes: LF1 (3.0L), LFW (3.0L), LAF (2.4L), LHU (2.0L Turbo)
All will carry the SIDI badge.
As used in...
2010/2011 Buick: LaCrosse, Regal (Incl Turbo)
2010/2011 Cadillac: CTS, SRX
2010/2011 Chevrolet: Equinox
2010/2011 GMC: Terrain
2010/2011 Holden: Commodore (Omega and International)

E78 Vehicle List:
Engine codes: L96 (6.0L), LUJ (1.4L Turbo)
As used in...
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD Truck
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Turbo

Known issues for the current release with regards to the E39 & E78 (these will be addressed in a future update).

DMA PID's for the E39 / E78 cannot be logged from V7 Scan direct, BBL is the only way to capture DMA PID's.
Full Flash and locking is not yet available for the E39 or E78.

We also request if you read any stock tunes from these vehicles to please send them to support@efilive.com

If you encounter any problems using any part of the V8 software, please post about it in this thread.

Regards
Paul

oztracktuning
October 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I just had trouble flashing an VY LS1 with 7.5 v135 it stopped each time on autodetect TCM. I got it to work with 8.1 however.

GMPX
October 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Steve, Paul just put an LS1 on the bench here to test and it read / flashed and logged ok.
Do you have any more info to see if we can reproduce it?

oztracktuning
October 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
It was an auto 1290003 op system and i was using my Flashscan V2 to flash and log via V7.5 build 135

Chevy366
October 20th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Wow the V8 S&T is looking good . :rockon:

GAMEOVER
October 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Wow the V8 S&T is looking good . :rockon:

I agree, got a little behind on the newer releases but V8 is awesome...

oztracktuning
October 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I flashed the firmware again and it just read a VZ A4 successfully with 7.5

oztracktuning
October 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM
It did it again today on a VX auto. I borrowed another older unit that hadnt been flashed with the latest firmware and boot block and it worked. So its either the latest boot block/firmware or my V2 has gone faulty. How can i tell?

Tordne
October 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Are you running the very new 2.07.01 bootblock and firmware, or 2.06.41/42? It is really unlikely the bootblock or firmware are corrupt or your device checksums wouldn't match and the device would stay in deadpoll mode on boot.

gmh308
October 22nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Dead Poll? Isn't that like when we vote for politicians? Its a poll and we vote for people that may as well be dead because it doesnt really make any difference. :)

Sorry - feeling exceptionally stupid this morning :).

Tordne
October 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
I thought more simply it may have just been a deceased Polish person. :confused:

AGRO
October 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Paul,
Im having troubles with connecting to the vehicle with the logger, takes about 3-4 mins, once connected the logger pauses and drops out, this occured ever since the bootblock/firmware update V2.07.01, i have an old FS with the early firmware/bootblock and it works fine. Any suggestions?

Blacky
October 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi Paul,
Im having troubles with connecting to the vehicle with the logger, takes about 3-4 mins, once connected the logger pauses and drops out, this occured ever since the bootblock/firmware update V2.07.01, i have an old FS with the early firmware/bootblock and it works fine. Any suggestions?
After the scan tool software has connected, select the menu option File->Generate error report. Save the report and email it to me at paul@efilive.com.
One thing to try is for FlashScan devices with firmware V2.05.xx or later, in the Scan Tool property window, change the settings to those shown in the image. Make sure you select the V2.5 (HAPI) option and uncheck the "Scan all cables" checkbox.

For FlashSCan devices with V2.04.xx or earlier firmware select the V2 (USB) option.

Regards
Paul

odd boy
October 24th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I just had trouble flashing an VY LS1 with 7.5 v135 it stopped each time on autodetect TCM. I got it to work with 8.1 however.

I have got the same issue.

odd boy
October 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Doesn't connect to any LS1 holden cars, I tried on three different cars. But work on the rest okay.

Here is the bug I got from the scanner, might help u.

Suhail
October 24th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Doesn't connect to any LS1 holden cars, I tried on three different cars. But work on the rest okay.

Here is the bug I got from the scanner, might help u.

Me too i have the same problem

Tordne
October 24th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I trust you have set the cable selection up as per the screenshot in Blacky's post #13?

oztracktuning
October 24th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Mine wasn't set to V2.5 HAPI so im hoping it will work next car i see.

L31Sleeper
October 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
What is the outlook on BBx Full Flash ??

odd boy
October 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Problem still exists, selecting HAPI and unchecking "Scan all cables" have not resolved the issue.

Please help, I am loosing a lot of customers.

GMPX
October 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM
What is the outlook on BBx Full Flash ??
We are working through all the ECM types, we understand it's probably the Diesel tuners who need this more than anyone else because of the DSP functions.
Strangely enough the first ECM we full flashed with V8 was the new kid on the block, the E39!

Blacky
October 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Problem still exists, selecting HAPI and unchecking "Scan all cables" have not resolved the issue.

Please help, I am loosing a lot of customers.
An updated version of V7.5, V8 and the firmware is being made available later today.
Please upgrade to that which may solve the problems. If it does not, then we can begin working on a solution.
I'll be posting the links in a new post in this forum (hopefully) in the next 6 hours.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
October 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM
An updated version has just been posted in the first post of this thread.
Updated versions are:

V7.5.6 Build 136
V8.1.2 Build 120
Boot block V2.07.01
Firmware V2.07.02

Regards
Paul

odd boy
October 26th, 2010, 03:30 AM
The same issue, no change with the new update

Blacky
October 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM
The same issue, no change with the new update
Can you please try these things:

Re-install the USB drivers. To do that:

1. Run the program: C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\FTClean\FTClean.ex e
2. Unplug all EFILive USB devices
3. Enter E4A1 for the PID (Product ID) for the FlashScan drivers.
4. Click [Clean System].

When you reconnect FlashScan the drivers should be re-installed automatically by Windows.
If not, re-install the latest V8 software to force the drivers to be re-installed.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
October 26th, 2010, 08:18 AM
It is unlikely that re-installing the drivers will help solve the problem, I just want to make sure that the base install is correct before going through the fault finding steps.

Once you have the new drivers installed and if, when re-testing you get the same error, stop logging immediately and disconnect the Scan Tool software by clicking on the red "disconnect" icon at the top of the window.
Then on FlashScan's keypad select the "Save Trace File" option. F1 Scan Tool -> F3: Scan Options -> F1 Save Trace File.
Using EFILive_Explorer (part of the V8 software) copy the trace file from FlashScan to your PC and email it to me at paul@efilive.com.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
October 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM
After analyzing some of the trace files that have been sent in over the past few days, it appears as though when you stop logging, FlashScan is incorrectly continuing to request data from the PCM and is continuing to transmit that data to the PC via the USB link. That confuses subsequent PC->FlashScan communications because there is so much extra and unexpected data going over the USB link. I am working on a firmware update to fix that problem. I hope to have something available later today. It may not solve the problem immediately but I think it will be a big step in the right direction.

Regards
Paul

odd boy
October 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Re-installing the driver hasn't helped.

Can I help u by sending any trace files? If u need I will try to do them the first thing in the morning.

Blacky
October 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
As a temporary work around whenever you get that error, press Ctrl+Backspace on FlashScan's keypad. I.e. hold down Ctrl and while continuing to hold down the Ctrl key, press and release the Backspace key, then release the Ctrl key.
That will cause a warm boot of FlashScan and will switch off the "keep alive" message which is holding FlashScan and the controller in a state that seems to be causing problems.

Regards
Paul

oztracktuning
October 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I flashed a PCM on the bench today - M6 LS1 and had no trouble. So maybe its going in a positive direction.

Blacky
October 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I flashed a PCM on the bench today - M6 LS1 and had no trouble. So maybe its going in a positive direction.
There is an intermittent problem with the firmware that I confirmed today with some very detailed testing. I am trying to come up with a fix for it tonight.
Regards
Paul

odd boy
October 27th, 2010, 05:32 AM
As a temporary work around whenever you get that error, press Ctrl+Backspace on FlashScan's keypad. I.e. hold down Ctrl and while continuing to hold down the Ctrl key, press and release the Backspace key, then release the Ctrl key.

Regards
Paul

Did not help.

I got new number now, I tried to unlock one of the ECUs that I locked before.

see the below picture.

odd boy
October 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I tried to unlock anther car, I still have the same issue.

Tordne
October 27th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Weren't you having issues with LS1 cars? I just ask cause in the screenshot it shows an E38 controller selected which will pretty much always result in a bootloader rejected or locked message (as the bootloader was not able to be sent to the incorrect controller type).

Drew28
October 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
E78 download was successful with the new update : ) I do have one question, will you be adding injector tables for the E78 before SEMA?

Best Regrds,

Drew

odd boy
October 27th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Looks like I confused everyone here, I have the following issues:

1. I can't work on any holden LS1 at all, but I can do vettes, camaros and trucks
2. I can't write E38 ecu. I can log and read after many trays and some times can't

the screen shot I posted is for E38 and was for E38 ecu!!!!!

GMPX
October 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
E78 download was successful with the new update : ) I do have one question, will you be adding injector tables for the E78 before SEMA?

Best Regrds,

Drew
Hi Drew,

As the E78 is the new kid on the block we will be adding customer requested tables as they come in, I've made a note on the injector flow table, should be no problem getting that in for you before SEMA, I'll work on that today. Does Andrew have your contact details so we can send an update .calz file?

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
October 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'll email you Drew's contact email address.

Drew28
October 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks you guys rock!! If its not to much the MAP in Engine Diagnostics would be helpful too!! I didn’t find the "PE MAP MODE Threshold" did GM do away with that? I see a load hyst. I can work around that for now but I was just curious. This tune is for a Magnuson TVS. : )

Cheers,

Drew

GMPX
October 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hi Drew, I just sent an Email with the Injector flow tables to your Magnuson Email address. If you want, please compile a list of what calibrations you think you will need for the E78 / TVS development program and Email it to EFILIve support, there is quite a lot of carry over functions from the E38/E67, so if there is anything important you where used to tuning in them that is missing in the E78 please make a note of it. I know there is a lot missing if the E78 is compared to the E38 files, but for the first release we just wanted to get the most commonly altered tables in so people could start tuning these new ECM's right away.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
October 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Just an update for all interested. I have just finished a remote access session with odd boy' who was having issues reading, flashing and locking/unlocking an E38 using these very latest update (2.07.02 firmware). He also has been having issues with an LS1 but did not have one on hand to test with during our support session.

There are a couple of "interesting" finding that I'll share in the hope they help someone else out while the permanent fix is completed:

1) With the 2.07.02 firmware we were able to read and flash (using the custom lock key) using the V8 Scan and Tune pass-thru flashing functionality. So this could be a solution to others also.

2) I was able to perform a downgrade in firmware to 2.07.01 (only version available to downgrade as bootblock cannot be downgraded in the field). After the downgrade we were able to unlock the E38 using the V7.5 software OK. We didn't test reading and flashing again but assume that it would have worked fine. Now I am not able to share the details of how firmware is downgraded (it is not provided to people outside of EFILive) but what I can offer is to perform the downgrade using remote access for affected customers.

If you would like to try the firmware downgrade as an optino please email me directly at support@efilive.com and I will send details for arranging remote access.

Regards,

odd boy
October 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I wanna express my appreciation and thanks to efilive support team for the great help that they offered me today. Now I am able to deal with E38 ecu with no problems.

Still waiting for LS1. I am sure they will fix soon.............

Many thanks again.

Tordne
October 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Did you get an LS1 in after our remote access session that didn't work?

oztracktuning
October 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I have tried the tricks and it will wont flash or log LS1s

Tordne
October 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I haven't managed to get a customer with an LS1 to test on. On a bench harness I've not has any problem with LS1 at all.

oztracktuning
October 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Yes i have flashed 2 on the bench. But all the pcms in cars are stopping for some reason

odd boy
October 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I can flash LS1 camaro, corvette, and trucks but no luck with holden.

Tordne
October 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Have you tried using V8 pass-thru of BBF at all (either of you). Just interested...

odd boy
October 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
will try it today and let u know, just tell me the procedure.

izaks
October 30th, 2010, 05:26 AM
No LS1 Holdens work - not VX , VY or VZ

odd boy
November 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Can't you find a way to read and write files through V8? I am losing customers every day!!! If there is a temp way or tool that converts between V8 files and V7, so we can read through V8 and tune with V7 then reflash through V8 again.

Please consider this option if it is feasible, really waiting for more time will cause me lose a lot.......

thanks for understanding

Tordne
November 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Confused :/ You have been able to save files in .CTD format in the V7 Tune Tool for ages now. That is the format used by the V8 software, and the FlashScan v2 Black Box features. You can also open .CTD files in the V7 Tune Tool to make calibration changes.

Biggsy
November 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
If he tried to edit the 2 files Ross posted on my E39 thread, V7 was coming up with an error and would not load them. Ross has reposted them on the second page of it and they should work now.
(might not be odd boy's problem though)
He might have an earlier version of V7 that doesn't recognise the V8 format files

Tordne
November 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
He's definitely on the latest version as I downgraded his firmware just the other day :)

Biggsy
November 2nd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I probably should read the whole thread before commenting eh! :doh2:

odd boy
November 3rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I have good news for you, I successfully tuned 3 Holden Ls1 today. Read and write with V8 and tune the file with V7. The only thing u might lose is data logging.

oztracktuning
November 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Still would not be able to do full flashes though with V8.

Blacky
November 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I've made an update to the firmware but have done limited testing (I will continue testing tomorrow).

The version of this firmware is still V2.07.02 so you will be able to go back to the existing V2.07.02 posted in the start of this thread if this version makes things worse.

This updated firmware is dated Nov 04, 2010 to differentiate it from the previous V2.07.02 firmware which has an October date.

Regards
Paul

oztracktuning
November 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I just tried to use an autocal to flash an E38 on standalone with the latest V8 and firmware. This firmware has worked fine with E38 on pass through with Flashscans, But this time not with the Autocal. Error coming up is $0281 even though the ecm can be read with autocal.

oztracktuning
November 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I just successfully flashed the same car using pass through V8. But i tried immediately before and it still did $0281 when a standalone flash was attempted.

izaks
November 6th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Scan with V2 and new 4 Nov firmware now connects to a VX LS1, but takes over a minute.
Logs ok.
Still can't read - did not try writing

Chuck CoW
November 8th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I just successfully flashed the same car using pass through V8. But i tried immediately before and it still did $0281 when a standalone flash was attempted.

So, what you're saying is.... Using BBF with Autocal you get the Error $0281 with the current firmware BUT, if you load V8 you can flash the file using the AutoCal as a pass thru?

Thanks
Chuck CoW

********************************** UPDATE ******************************

It would appear that the failed flashes result in the controller being erased and no tune installed leaving the vehicles dead...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Suhail
November 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM
So Guys is Firmware_V2_07_02_Nov_04.zip work perfect with holden ca
r cause now i have problem to tune holden car

Blacky
November 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
The fault is as Chuck described, the flash fails after the erase which leaves the controller in dead-poll and the vehicle in a no start condition.
The firmware faults have been found and fixed, they are being tested today. I expect to be able to release an update in the next 24 hours.

Regards
Paul

VEGASROBBI
November 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Yep, trying to BBF an E38 I got the Error 281, then no start. I was able to recover by using Flashscan V2 in pass through mode.

Blacky
November 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
We've been hard at work fixing and testing the software and firmware based on the reports we've been getting from people testing this pre-release.
Tomorrow (Monday 15th Nov 2010), Andrew and I will be fully testing the new software in as many different configurations and under as many different conditions as we can create.
If that testing goes well we will release the fixed software and firmware on Monday night.
There will be a new thread started in this forum announcing the availability of that update.

Regards
Paul

odd boy
November 14th, 2010, 03:01 AM
keep in mind i can flash on bench some of what i cant flash in the car......

actually, all of what I tried. I just tested more ecu's

Tordne
November 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Internally we're testing with code that is past any customer pre-release. Hopefully today will be productive and we can make a complete release soon.

Taz
November 14th, 2010, 07:35 AM
World time zones always throw me off .. early Monday morning for you … just after lunch on Sunday for me.

Thank you for your continued hard work … looks like you got an early start !

Regards,
Taz

ScarabEpic22
November 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Its barely after lunch for me here in the NW too!

Cant wait to see an update, know it will be better than before. Ill have a bunch of P10 access over Thanksgiving break (so just over a week) to break everything on.

TuneMaster
November 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Any Update???? Like everybody else have to tune and scan a LS1, can read and write with V8 and tune with V7, but unable to scan, simply wont connect.

Blacky
November 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Update available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14757-November-18th-2010-pre-release&p=133126#post133126

Regards
Paul

odd boy
November 17th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I will test it in few hrs, I have some customers today.

izaks
November 18th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Worse on VX LS1
Scan does not connect at all now (previously connected after 1min and then worked fine)
Read hangs on detect TCM and then fails about 4 min later after trying to initialise the ECM?PCM

Tordne
November 18th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Closing this thread as new posts should be made in the new thread (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14757-November-18th-2010-pre-release&p=133126#post133126). Issues should be logged in the EFILive Helpdesk system (as noted) at http://support.efilive.com/. See this post for more info (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14546-EFILive-Support&p=130643#post130643)