PDA

View Full Version : Change number of cylinders? Trying to run LS1 coils

nevinsb
October 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I am trying to use a LS1 cal file for my LU3 to get some features working like a high resolution crank sensor to use LS1 coil backs.

Can I just change the number of cylinders in a Camero tune, or can I just change the "Low Resolution Crank" under vehicle platform?

ScarabEpic22
October 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I dont think you can do this otherwise lots of guys would run LS1 PCMs on 4 cylinder engines. I could be wrong though!

tunedportcj5
November 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Any updates?

nevinsb
November 21st, 2010, 07:02 PM
Any updates?

I plan on trying to change the vehicle platform setting to use the high resolution crank sensor. I am not sure how many teeth would be needed on it.

I found a LS1 reluctor ring, but I will have to wait until I get back from Korea next Aug to do some testing. I have no idea how this ring is arranged (Where 0 DEG timing is), so if that is information someone can provide, it would be a great help.

ScarabEpic22
November 21st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Just changing the platform option wont work IIRC, it is for reference and unless the base code is actually in the Camaro tune (doubtful), then it will no do anything.

I remember this being discussed recently on here, just cant remember where right now.

schwoch1
December 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I dont think you can do this otherwise lots of guys would run LS1 PCMs on 4 cylinder engines. I could be wrong though!
Actually, I am using a 0411 PCM on a 4 cylinder engine, a turbocharged 1.3 Suzuki 4 banger in a Chevrolet Sprint........ using coil on plug ignition!!! It works great with zero hiccups!!!

Mike

schwoch1
December 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I am trying to use a LS1 cal file for my LU3 to get some features working like a high resolution crank sensor to use LS1 coil backs.

Can I just change the number of cylinders in a Camaro tune, or can I just change the "Low Resolution Crank" under vehicle platform?
AFAIK, you cannot use the Camaro cal to run a 6 cylinder engine, the firing events are not spaced the same, IE V8 fires every 45 degrees, and a 6 cylinder fires every 60 degrees, hence the firing events (both coil and injectors) will not fire at the correct time. You can use a V8 cal on any engine that fires every 45, 90,180, or 360 degrees(and a few oddball spacings that most engines will never use). Opens up the possibilities for injecting other engines..... HMMM I got a 5 HP Honda pushmower with carb problems........ '411 swap with coil on plug should work!!! THe only 6 cylinder that uses coil on plug that I am aware of(that uses a friendly computer) is the '08 on up 4.2 I6 in the Trailblazer with the E67 PCM. Hope this helps!!
Mike

nevinsb
December 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
It's worth looking into. Thanks for the advice.

ScarabEpic22
December 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
AFAIK, you cannot use the Camaro cal to run a 6 cylinder engine, the firing events are not spaced the same, IE V8 fires every 45 degrees, and a 6 cylinder fires every 60 degrees, hence the firing events (both coil and injectors) will not fire at the correct time. You can use a V8 cal on any engine that fires every 45, 90,180, or 360 degrees(and a few oddball spacings that most engines will never use). Opens up the possibilities for injecting other engines..... HMMM I got a 5 HP Honda pushmower with carb problems........ '411 swap with coil on plug should work!!! THe only 6 cylinder that uses coil on plug that I am aware of(that uses a friendly computer) is the '08 on up 4.2 I6 in the Trailblazer with the E67 PCM. Hope this helps!!
Mike

Yep, thats the only 6cyl with a tuning-friendly ECM is the LL8. 08-09 are the E67 years, 07s should work if you swap the P12 for an E67/T42 combo.

Care to share with the class how you have your 1.3L turbo 4 running off an 0411? I want to know now!

slows10
January 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Schwoch1, how where you able to get that 4cyl to run from the 0411 ecm? Does it have a reluctor setup similiar to a vortec or LS engine. Did you fabricate some wheels and sensor mounts? Thanks.

slows10
January 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Also now that I think more about it, if I remember correctly wasnt the suzuki engine used by chevy in the sprint?

schwoch1
January 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Actually the motor came out of Suzuki Swift GSI or GSX, something like that!!! It is a 1.3 DOHC engine. I used a 24X reluctor wheel from a big block in a C60, GM put coil on plug on the 454's in C60's back in the late 90's, so I just used one of them and made a custom mount for it. It was around $25.00 or so from the dealer. Made a custom cam sensor and ran all the appropiate wiring to the PCM and it started and ran with little fanfare. Hardest part was making the sure that the firing order was correct to make sure that the PCM fired the right injector at the right time. The computer throws no fits about not having the other cylinders, just shut off all the codes associated with the non used cylinders. THe car starts and runs like stock, and to the unknowing person, you would never know anything has been done to the car computer wise, except when the boost builds to 15 PSI or so, then the thing absolutely flys!!! My old man and I have actually tried to blow up the motor, driving like idiots, etc and it just keeps ticking!!! I would do the swap again in a heartbeat for anyone wanting to boost their little 4 cylinder engine. I have a friend now with a pretty high strung 2.2 dodge 4 cylinder that I trying to talk into using the 0411 PCM, he is just too cheap to buy EFILive to tune the thing..... maybe I should ket him drive the Sprint for a week... that'll tech him!!!!
Hope this helps!!
Mike

slows10
January 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply.So For my 1998 s10 with the 2.2 the firing events should match what is in a V8 cal in the 0411 ecm? Also I think it uses a waste spark system so im not sure how this will work with the v8 cal.Hard part would be moving the crank sensor to the front of engine and installing a reluctor up on front pulley. Ive got to do some research on this but it may work. This would be really huge if it did. As alot of the internet experts have always said never, simply because chevy didnt offer a 4cyl with the 0411 ecm.

schwoch1
January 31st, 2011, 05:03 AM
I ended up using coil on plug with our swap, just used a cal for an '02 Camaro with an LS1. Had numerous people say it won't work, my response.... That's funny, it's been working for the last 8,000 miles with no problems whatsoever!!! We put our reluctor on the end of the crank pulley, just made an adapter to get the reluctor past the end on the crank pulley. You will have to fab up some sort of cam sensor, I would take the oil pump drive plug out and modify it to run a crank sensor on your 2.2!!! Good luck!!!
Mike

turbo_bu
January 31st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Mike,

Happen to remember a part # for the reluctor wheel or which year of C60 to quote to the parts counter guy? I have always thought about making this work, but never knew of an easy way to get a 24X speed wheel setup.

slows10
January 31st, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mike, the 2.2 in my 98 s10 already has a cam sensor, so I might be ok with that? The crank sensor and reluctor wheel are at the very rear of the block. So an extension harness to the front of the engine is needed. This is a sequential efi with a waste spark system. But the coil on plug system would replace my coils. The 2.2 engine I believe is a 7x crank and a 1x cam. I think mechanically this swap might be straight forward, its just the unknowns about the 0411 working with this kind of setup. But you give us hope it should work with all your success with it. thanks keith. P.S. Sorry nevinsb for hijacking your thread.

ScarabEpic22
February 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Im willing to bet your 2.2 is a 7x/1x setup, thats what my 4.2L I6 P10 runs and the PCM code is pretty dang similar to the 98-02 4cyl PCMs.

slows10
February 2nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
Mike,

Happen to remember a part # for the reluctor wheel or which year of C60 to quote to the parts counter guy? I have always thought about making this work, but never knew of an easy way to get a 24X speed wheel setup.

Efi connection has a 24x wheel in a smaller diameter version. I think it is designed so that it can be installed under the timing cover on vortec L31 engines and earlier small blocks, replacing the 4x wheel. I wonder if this wheel will fit under the Ln2 timing cover. I cant remember what mine looks like under there. Also the Ln2 crankshaft snub would have to the same size as the L31 for it to work, which is probably doubtful.

Thorwon
April 22nd, 2022, 10:30 AM
I ended up using coil on plug with our swap, just used a cal for an '02 Camaro with an LS1. Had numerous people say it won't work, my response.... That's funny, it's been working for the last 8,000 miles with no problems whatsoever!!! We put our reluctor on the end of the crank pulley, just made an adapter to get the reluctor past the end on the crank pulley. You will have to fab up some sort of cam sensor, I would take the oil pump drive plug out and modify it to run a crank sensor on your 2.2!!! Good luck!!!
Mike

schwoch1 I know this is "old" but can you tell me where 0 TDC on #1 cylinder is on the reluctor?