PDA

View Full Version : Man (PCM) Down

Big D
October 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
I have had no issues with tuning this 03 TB in the past. The only changes are the updates in software for EFILIVE and now it will not reflash the pcm.
Error is "checksum of flash failed after write completed. please reflash the controller. PCM is in a unknown state."
This has left the vehicle dead in my driveway. need some help here with recovery, need vehicle to make a trip this weekend.

Big D
October 22nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
full calibration is not available with this so only a partial is allowed.

the BCC box has question marks in it which seems unsual

Tordne
October 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
When you say updated the EFILive software, what version did you update to? Also, if you have a FlashScan V2 device did you also upgrade the firmware at the same time (required)?

As at time of this post the latest software versions are:
- 7.5.6 Build 133
- 8.1.2 Build 115
- 2.06.41 V2 firmware

Please see these guide for more detail on upgrading software and firmware:
- Software (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=5404-IJZV-0820)
- Firmware (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7243-SFGL-2949)

Once you have these versions installed try a flash again.

Cheers,

Big D
October 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
I have the version's you have listed and have updated the V2 firmware to 2.06.41

i've tried cal only flashing with slow speeds, try alt keys, every combo available.

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 03:58 AM
Need some help here I am running out of time quickly

Taz
October 23rd, 2010, 04:22 AM
In the Scan Tool go to Edit\Properties\Connections …….. set your default to EFILive FlashScan V 2.5 (HAPI).

Sometimes when you update the software, these settings get changed.

Also see page 81 of the Tuning Tool User Manual - brief overview of recovering a PCM.

Regards,
Taz

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
In the Scan Tool go to Edit\Properties\Connections …….. set your default to EFILive FlashScan V 2.5 (HAPI).

Also see page 81 of the Tuning Tool User Manual - brief overview of recovering a PCM.

Regards,
Taz

will do thanks for the tip

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 04:41 AM

Regards,
Taz

I switched to HAPI and still no luck.
it will get to 16k and stop. I was able to read however the calibrations are maxed out and the checksum incorrect. Is it possible to correct the calibration by comparing to stock and coping it and updating the checksums. would it accept the calibration only flash.

mr.prick
October 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
Have you tried flashing an old .tun/ctd?
Maybe even something off Holden Crazy (http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/), then load the one you want.

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Have you tried flashing an old .tun/ctd?
Maybe even something off Holden Crazy (http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/), then load the one you want.

Yes I have. I have tried other os's but it will not allow it because it is a cal only reflash, full flash is not allowed therefore I am stuck to only a 12588012 os

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 05:47 AM
In need of more ideas here. I've tried every which way to reflash this and no luck. I've tried files from 2 years ago and no progress.

Taz
October 23rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Give these threads a read ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13875-Help-help&highlight=dead+poll

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4805-Is-my-PCM-dead&highlight=dead+poll

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?10304-flashscan-V2-in-dead-poll-mode....&highlight=dead+poll

Just some options to consider ...

Regards,
Taz

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Give these threads a read ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13875-Help-help&highlight=dead+poll

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?4805-Is-my-PCM-dead&highlight=dead+poll

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?10304-flashscan-V2-in-dead-poll-mode....&highlight=dead+poll

Just some options to consider ...

Regards,
Taz

Thanks for the help!!

The PCM is in Dead poll mode, which is better than dead.
some more insight: i have a charger connected to guarentee 12v, Onstar and radio fuses are removed, doors are shut and all accessories are turned off, all stock components, no bose system.

I've had this happen before on other vehicles but it has always been a easy recovery process. My TB is really testing my patience this time around.

I havent flashed this vehicle for about 8 months and the only known changes are the EFILive software and firmware updates. I am looking more to the software as an issue. I flashed a LB7 Dmax and changed the Allison TCM last Saturday with no issue.

So Taz again thank you for the responses.

Big D
October 23rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Any other ideas. At this point I am going to drag it to the dealer for a reflash

Taz
October 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Disconnect the positive battery cable ... then hold the positive cable to ground (anything that's clean metal) for few seconds ... should remove any residual energy in the system ... leave disconnected for 15 minutes ... reconnect and try again ..

Regards,
Taz

Big D
October 24th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Disconnect the positive battery cable ... then hold the positive cable to ground (anything that's clean metal) for few seconds ... should remove any residual energy in the system ... leave disconnected for 15 minutes ... reconnect and try again ..

Regards,
Taz

I let it sit for about 45 mins like this and still no luck.

joecar
October 24th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I let it sit for about 45 mins like this and still no luck.Did you try flashing after this...?

Also, maybe try pulling the BCM fuse and then try flashing.

Big D
October 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Did you try flashing after this...?

Also, maybe try pulling the BCM fuse and then try flashing.

Also pulled the BCM and no luck.

I am still going with the idea that without being able to full flash the calibration and os back into the P10 when a failure occurs, you are stuck unless you have a tech2. Hopefully this will be rectified if this is correct..

ScarabEpic22
October 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I wish so badly we could full flash the P10s, but EFILive said there were some comms between the main CPU and the ETC CPU they couldnt figure out so they couldnt allow full flashing.

Ive had a few P10s fail badly, but been able to recover all of them. Worst one is my friends 04, aftermarket stereo, alarm, etc and I spent 45mins one time constantly rebooting my laptop and reconnecting my V2 to it before it finally let me do it.

Did you get it fixed yet? What error is it giving you, do you have any aftermarket electronics on your TB?

Big D
October 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I wish so badly we could full flash the P10s, but EFILive said there were some comms between the main CPU and the ETC CPU they couldnt figure out so they couldnt allow full flashing.

Ive had a few P10s fail badly, but been able to recover all of them. Worst one is my friends 04, aftermarket stereo, alarm, etc and I spent 45mins one time constantly rebooting my laptop and reconnecting my V2 to it before it finally let me do it.

Did you get it fixed yet? What error is it giving you, do you have any aftermarket electronics on your TB?

:bad:

Took TB to dealer. Explained to them to reflash only, been a couple hours now and getting nervous. Nothing aftermarket at all on it.

I though about this some more and even though the battery is about 2 years old I think it could've dropped voltage during the flash which caused this mess. After the intial disaster I will typically connect a charger to the vehicle to maintain 12v but not having full flash capability with the P10 and EFILIVE nit is going to hurt when the bill shows.

I think the key to this case is fact that the battery lost power, so going forward it would be crucial to connect a charger

Big D
October 25th, 2010, 11:34 AM
update:

dealer said ECM is dead, they want $400 for a used and $800 for new. Will be buying one from another source. I will keep the "dead" ECM and see what I can do on the bench with it.

ScarabEpic22
October 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
update:

dealer said ECM is dead, they want $400 for a used and $800 for new. Will be buying one from another source. I will keep the "dead" ECM and see what I can do on the bench with it.

Interesting, havent heard of EFILive bricking any P10s before. Doesnt mean is hasnt happened, but no one has complained about it. Heck, eBay sells P10s for CHEAP, I grabbed one from a wrecked 03 Voy for $40 shipped I think.

Big D
October 25th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Well I think the dealer may not be completely up to speed with type of issues. I dont believe the PCM is a brick. Come to find out the TB has remote start. This gets more interesting by the day. Not sure if the remote start would cause this, like I said earlier never had trouble before.

Ebay P10 here I come.

Taz
October 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Those PCMs go for $40 to $60 at my local auto recycler ... don't know if prices are different in your area ... saves the wait and the eBay shipping !

Regards,
Taz

nevinsb
October 25th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Wow, that's actually kind of expensive. I pay about $100 shipped for the LS1 PCMs from S10s, but they come with with the engine and charging system wiring harness.

nevinsb
October 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I was just thinking... Have you tried making a bench harness to rule out the possibility of something in the vehicle affecting the flashing? Did you save a log of when you tried to flash the PCM the first time?

ScarabEpic22
October 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Well I think the dealer may not be completely up to speed with type of issues. I dont believe the PCM is a brick. Come to find out the TB has remote start. This gets more interesting by the day. Not sure if the remote start would cause this, like I said earlier never had trouble before.

Ebay P10 here I come.

If it has remote start, remove/pull the fuses for the bypass and the main brain unit. They try it again, I dont have an issue with my remote start on my 02 but that 04 has one that with the aftermarket stereo wreaks havoc when trying to flash.

nevinsb
October 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Looks like it is not just you:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14669-Dead-p10-pcm!!!

GMPX
October 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Ok, this whole idea of needing to do a full flash to recover from a failed cal flash isn't justified, it's going to achieve nothing more than making you wait longer.

I just test flashed two P10's here on the bench (because we don't have access to a Trailblazer).
I used two different V2's with firmware v2.7.2 and 2.6.41, V7 software v7.5.6b136.
The results are everything read and re-flashed fine. I stopped the reflash part way to simulate a failed flash and the recovery worked fine.

If your P10 failed during the flash then you don't need another PCM, my experience is too many GM dealers don't understand how to make TIS do what they want so they just give up and say you need a new PCM.

When you say it gets to 16K and stops that sounds like a classic case of something on the data bus interrupting the flash process. Though normally this would also cause problems on a read too.
I am not sure what further tests I can do here so simulate your problem to come to a resolution when I can't duplicate the issue. Have you added any aftermarket audio equipment that is wired on to the databus? iPod adaptors and XM radio adaptors are notorious for causing such problems if they also monitor the vehicle data bus.

I don't think you need a new PCM, but if for some reason you are going to buy one you shouldn't need to pay more than about $50 - $60. Make sure you get the right year model PCM too.

joecar
October 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Big D,

Look at post #4 of this thread: showthread.php?14669-Dead-p10-pcm!!! (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14669-Dead-p10-pcm%21%21%21&p=132090#post132090)

ScarabEpic22
October 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Ive had a bunch of P10s fail to flash, always been able to recover them. Its always aftermarket electronics trying to communicate on the databus and messing everything up. Ive spent 45 min before with a trouble P10 with aftermarket stereo and alarm, rebooted my laptop at least twice and re-opened the tune file a bunch.

Also, another option is to try and flash using V8 (I havent tried it, my P10 truck is back at home in Seattle) or BBF it. We have 3 ways to flash the P10s now, if V7.5 doesnt work convert it into a *.ctd file and flash using another option. Food for thought.

Big D
October 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
the tb is back in action.

only aftermarket option is the remote start, which I didnt know it had. I've flashed this thing many times before with success everytime. I have the original pcm, will need to setup a bench harnes for it. Bought a used pcm and had the dealer flash it for $150. Not too shabby, they must be light on work.

Thanks for all the help to everyone.

goldbergv95
November 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Interesting, havent heard of EFILive bricking any P10s before. Doesnt mean is hasnt happened, but no one has complained about it. Heck, eBay sells P10s for CHEAP, I grabbed one from a wrecked 03 Voy for $40 shipped I think.

Yes you have...with me of course. I had a similar problem and end up replacing my pcm.

Those PCMs go for $40 to $60 at my local auto recycler ... don't know if prices are different in your area ... saves the wait and the eBay shipping

Regards,
Taz

Yes they are ridiculously expensive...

the tb is back in action.

only aftermarket option is the remote start, which I didnt know it had. I've flashed this thing many times before with success everytime. I have the original pcm, will need to setup a bench harnes for it. Bought a used pcm and had the dealer flash it for $150. Not too shabby, they must be light on work.

Thanks for all the help to everyone.

Before doing any efilive tuning have you ever had your pcm reflashed with the latest modification (Updated the OS) from the dealer??