PDA

View Full Version : Dead p10 pcm!!!

blown4pt3
October 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
EFILive V2 Flashscan

Read the PCM file in with no problem this evening.

Tried to write the new calibration, adjusting only the values for the speedometer.

It got to the point of reflashing the PCM.

Then it errored out, saying there was a write problem.

No cals in the computer and it will not start.

Will try it again, but I'm gonna be PISSED if I have to buy a new PCM. You should not need a spare PCM to do any flashes.

nevinsb
October 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forums. Another user is having a similar issue, and you may want to follow his thread:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14643-Man-(PCM)-Down

GMPX
October 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM
You should not need a spare PCM to do any flashes.
Nobody said you did! Please follow the other thread posted above, it's the same problem.

blown4pt3
October 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Two different laptops, 3 different backup copies of the stock tune, and 9 attempts later the computer finally took the stock program back in. I kept getting the error that no tune was found and do I want EFILive to try and program it anyway. You better believe the stock tune that did work will have another copy made and put in a few safe places.

By the way, I have been trying to read all of the posts in this forum in regards to the P10. Oddly enough, the I read the one earlier today on my lunch break.

As a caution, I will buy a spare PCM since they are cheap. 50 or even 100 bucks is a cheap contingency plan for my daily driver. If it dies, no worries as the stock will be available as a back up. That's the fine line when toying up your ride to work. :)

GMPX
October 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM
That's the fine line when toying up your ride to work. :)
There is one more risky than that, the wife's car:shock:

blown4pt3
October 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
There is one more risky than that, the wife's car:shock:

HAHA! Yeah, you aren't kidding there. I've gotta put 4 new struts on the Honda tomorrow. 13 years old and still has the factory stuff. Not sure what kind of rusted up mess I'll get in to.

Anyway, just a little info the 2 laptops I used. The one that did give me trouble is running 32 bit Windows XP, with the latest version of EFILive (I downloaded both 7.5.6 and 8.1.2). My flashscan is running v 2.4 something from what I recall. I tried to update the firmware using the info provided in the other dead pcm thread, but no luck.

The computer that did work, which oddly enough it wouldn't the day before (it was previously crashing in a different way, making me think it was a Windows 7 issue), is a 64 bit machine running Windows 7. It is also using the same 7.5.6 of EFILive. I suspect the issue may be more driver related... but I'm by no means a software expert in any stretch of the imagination. And before trying the pcm read or tune on either computer, I did do a status check and everything appeared good. I dunno.

ExtTB
October 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Tried to flash with new windows 7 laptop ..wouldnt take flash stopped at 19 k...tried to use another laptop with no bins...flashed with included envoy bin changed my pcm to a new number and says no cal present,now says I need a new licensce ...never had a problem for 2 years of flashing...so how can I correct the pcm....always adjust mine while driving around so I had to get a freaking tow home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big D
October 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Is it possible a firewall or windows security updates could be causing these issues with the P10

ExtTB
October 29th, 2010, 05:36 AM
actually that toughbook hasnt been changed or online in 2 years...problem is the toughbook says the pcm is not licensced the serial number is corrupted

joecar
October 29th, 2010, 05:40 AM
actually that toughbook hasnt been changed or online in 2 yearsYou have to update the V7 and V8 software on it to the latest... and update your V2 bootblock/firmware also.

blown4pt3
October 30th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Well, I've got a brick of a PCM. I had a 10 minute window last night to try adjusting the speedometer. It failed at about 15K during the write and I have not been able to to get it to take a program for either laptop now. I've tried a few copies of the stock tune from both computers and still fails at 15K giving the checksum error.

I went out and bought a battery charger this morning. The battery is now charged to 100%. Still no good. I've probably tried it somewhere around 35 to 40 times now.

I've pulled the radio fuse and the HVAC fuses. Where is this elusive BCM fuse???

One thing I should note is that I am running version 2.4 on my V2. I've tried updating the firmware, and unless there is some other way of doing it, the V8 software only detects the USB connection to the V2. It does the same thing on either laptop. Can someone just email the firmware and bootblock updates? Will that work?

Any other thoughts? I have a wideband O2 that I was planning to install in the blazer to see what I could do to improve the mileage. However, with as unreliable as this is turning out to be, I'm now thinking about just buying a PCM tuned by PCM4Less and leaving it. The only thing the V2 has done with 100% reliability is read codes. Rather expensive code reader. This is very frustrating to say the least.

joecar
October 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
To update from 2.04.xx is a detailed process, please read attached very carefully before proceeding.

blown4pt3
October 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
Well, I'm running V7.5.6, I updated the V2 to firmware 2.06.41 and boot block to 2.06.03. Still getting the same checksum error at 15/16K. I've tried the same stock cal that worked once before several days ago on the laptop that did work that happens to be running Windows 7 64 bit. Will give the other laptop one more try now that the V2 is updated.

blown4pt3
October 31st, 2010, 04:57 PM
No luck with the other laptop running Xp 32bit. Still getting the same checksum error at 15/16k. It doesn't seem to make any difference which file I try to load. I even tried a stock tune file that I saved out back in 2007, even though I never did anything with EFILive tuning until last week when I had the larger tires put on it.

What do I need to do to try (if possible) programming the PCM just using the V2? I have a 1 gig SD card in the V2 and it is already formatted. I'd like to get this PCM working with the stock tune and keep it for a spare. Hopefully PCM for less will have one they can program and send me. I'll still have to take it to the dealer for a CASE relearn as I understand we cannot do this on the LL8. Looks like this checksum error problem is gonna check sum cash out of my wallet.

ScarabEpic22
November 1st, 2010, 01:25 PM
Use LS1 PCM to do a CASE, select LS1 PCM and connect, then do a CASE. Heard it works from Jesse at Wait4Me, havent verified.

BBF can be done, save the tune as a .ctd in V7.5 then copy it to your V2 and set up the BBX section in V8 with P10 reading/flashing.

blown4pt3
November 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Use LS1 PCM to do a CASE, select LS1 PCM and connect, then do a CASE. Heard it works from Jesse at Wait4Me, havent verified.

BBF can be done, save the tune as a .ctd in V7.5 then copy it to your V2 and set up the BBX section in V8 with P10 reading/flashing.

Thanks. I'll ry to find out more about the CASE before paying to have it done. The blazer goes in for an alignment and they quoted me 60 to 95 for a CASE relearn. The new pcm should be in tomorrow.

I'll try the BBX tuning. Hopefully it will work!