PDA

View Full Version : Whipple?

bink
December 11th, 2005, 04:00 AM
I posted this in the General section and thought I'd get some ideas here also. I hated seeing the "never" for threads/posts in this new section.

Here is a link to a whipple LS1/ls6 APP->http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1221

How streetable and reliable would this be on a stroked LS6 (C5R block) in a Vette. I realise the hood would need to be cut or modified. I know zip about FI but it seems like the prochargers and vortechs have a lot of belt problems.
Your thoughts????

Cheers,
joel

MN C5
December 11th, 2005, 04:17 AM
I've got a Whipple 3.3 just need the manifold and drive accesories. I hope a LS1/2 Manifold with intercooler arrives from Whipple shortly!

Someone at LS1gto has a Goat with a downunder kit but the early results I saw him post were very disappointing as far as output goes...

mistermike
December 11th, 2005, 04:18 AM
That's the big 3.3L Lysholm blower. Just the ticket for large displacement. The Whipple kit appears to be geared towards custom builders and workshops. It's pretty much the blower, manifold, and drive system. You'll still need a ton of stuff to make it into a complete system. Starr has some 3.3L setups running in Oz, and I hear they're pretty serious.

mistermike
December 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM
I've got a Whipple 3.3 just need the manifold and drive accesories. I hope a LS1/2 Manifold with intercooler arrives from Whipple shortly!

Someone at LS1gto has a Goat with a downunder kit but the early results I saw him post were very disappointing as far as output goes...
I don't know if I would call 463 ft-lbs of torque all over the place necessarily a big disappontment, but it's certainly not where it's going to be. The fuel system is preventing more output, or I should say, a tune that fully exploits its capabilities. Right now, the tune is very cautious on account of the unstable fueling. Since the boost comes on so early, the pathetic pickup/pump in the American GTO starts taking a beating much earlier than the fellows running centrifugals. By the time I hit 4000 RPM, my fuel pressure has dropped considerably. This pretty much prevents BEN tuning into boost unless I want my VE's bent around sagging fuel. As it is, I'm commanding 10 to get 11.5 AFR and IDC's are off the chart, even with 60 pounders. A full return, boost referenced system is going in during the off season. A retune with stable fuel pressure will allow me to fully exploit the new fuel tuning table.

MN C5
December 11th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Figured it be a tuning or fuel system issue. But I just assumed that you'd have the necessary accesories to feed your monster :grd: I've tuned a few Radix 5.3's that have put down #'s close to 450 and because I was considering going down the same path you did I was just hoping to see more.

That setup should be capable of 20lbs and more of Boost. And you will burn through those 60lb injectors way to quickly.. when you turn the boost up.. What are your plans for a fuel system? And what size pulley and boost are you seeing.

Sure sounds like a fun ride:)

mistermike
December 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I'm running the standard Starr "low boost" pulley. I'm still on stock internals, so it'll stay at that level for the time being. I hit somewhere around 10.5 Lb at redline. Since I'm involved in importing this setup to the US, I really want to maximize its capabilities on a more or less stock engine to establish an honest baseline. Only other engine mods are Stainless Works headers/cats/exhaust and untuned Alky/H20 as a safety net at the track. I'm going to be using a Mallory 110 GPH external pump, Walbro "magic" multipoint fuel pickups (sumping this stupid vertical tank-in-the-trunk is major surgery) , and a Mallory regulator.
Once I'm happy with the performance of the basic unit, I'll have Ed Curtis grind me a cam. Ultimately, I'd like to kind of duplicate Delco's (http://www.efilive.com/images/Pic2.jpg)setup. He's got a truly evil street Monaro that's still very civilized. 383 stroker, heads, cam, strong guts, good mileage, and brings the groceries home without delay.

GMPX
December 11th, 2005, 11:59 PM
The Starr kit is nice, been for a ride in a few of those :rockon:
And as was stated, Delco (aka ChipMaster) built a pretty tough ride using a whipple.

Cheers,
Ross

bink
December 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
The Starr kit is nice, been for a ride in a few of those :rockon:
And as was stated, Delco (aka ChipMaster) built a pretty tough ride using a whipple.

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all of the info.
Hmmmmmm :D Any pics of Delco's setup?
Daily driver?
Cheers,
joel

GMPX
December 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all of the info.
Hmmmmmm :D Any pics of Delco's setup?
Daily driver?
Cheers,
joel

Yes, and Yes on pump gas too.

http://www.chipmaster.com.au/Project%20Monaro1.htm

Cheers,
Ross

bink
December 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, and Yes on pump gas too.

http://www.chipmaster.com.au/Project%20Monaro1.htm

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks Ross!
Great diary of a monster build.:hihi:

Food for thought :D

Cheers,
joel

joecar
December 12th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Excellent work, well documented.

stevieturbo
January 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Are there any pics or details of the 3.3l whipple motors ??

What sort of power can the 2.3 l support ?

MN C5
January 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm running the standard Starr "low boost" pulley. I'm still on stock internals, so it'll stay at that level for the time being. I hit somewhere around 10.5 Lb at redline. Since I'm involved in importing this setup to the US, I really want to maximize its capabilities on a more or less stock engine to establish an honest baseline. Only other engine mods are Stainless Works headers/cats/exhaust and untuned Alky/H20 as a safety net at the track. I'm going to be using a Mallory 110 GPH external pump, Walbro "magic" multipoint fuel pickups (sumping this stupid vertical tank-in-the-trunk is major surgery) , and a Mallory regulator.
Once I'm happy with the performance of the basic unit, I'll have Ed Curtis grind me a cam. Ultimately, I'd like to kind of duplicate Delco's (http://www.efilive.com/images/Pic2.jpg)setup. He's got a truly evil street Monaro that's still very civilized. 383 stroker, heads, cam, strong guts, good mileage, and brings the groceries home without delay.

Mike how are you coming with importing this stuff from Starr ? Do you have any pricing ect..

mistermike
January 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Pretty soon. Just waiting on the new Whipple stuff and a couple of US vendors.

MN C5
January 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Is pretty soon more like a month or a quarter? Do you have any ideas on the pricing????, for a truck kit

mistermike
January 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I'm shooting for a simultaneous release with Flashscan v2. I'd like to have an LS2 solution ready to go from the onset. Pricing is TBD pending price data on the US-produced Whipple compressors and a couple of quotes from other US vendors.