PDA

View Full Version : Help please, i think i screwed up bad

BadLSX
October 28th, 2010, 12:01 PM
somehow my PCM seems locked now. the other night i flashed a different calibration into my 02 Trans Am to raise the rev limiter some. well in the process, something freaked out during the flash & i had to restart the process again. this time it seemed to work as always. well tonight, i go to flash another calibration in the car so i can go do some logging & kept getting error messages. i saw Bootloader Rejected & a few that said that EFILive couldnt connect & another that says EFILive could not unlock PCM. after several tries, i starting looking at a few things & noticed that the VIN on the tune i flashed into the car the other night did not match my car. one of my other calibrations also did not match. i don't know how this happened as i've had both of these calibrations in my car numerous times without any sort of issue. what happened here & how do i fix it? or am i pretty much screwed now? please help, i don't know how any of the VIN stuff could have changed.

Tordne
October 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
What software and FlashScan V2 firmware (assuming it is a V2 you have) versions are you running?

BadLSX
October 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM
i am using V2. i just updated my software off of the Website link a few minutes ago. let me see if i can figure out what i have

BadLSX
October 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
ok, i just updated to the build 133 software, i cant find what firmware i have though

Tordne
October 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Check this knowledgebase article: http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7141-YSDK-3270

BadLSX
October 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
ok. i have firmware ver. 2.06.35 & bootblock ver. 2.06.03 hopefully this helps

Tordne
October 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Your firmware needs to be at 2.06.41 (part of the 8.1.2 Build 115 version). Please download and install that from here: http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

See these notes as well about software and firmware updates:
- SOFTWRE (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=5404-IJZV-0820)
- FIRMWARE (http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=7243-SFGL-2949)

Let us know if that resolves the issues...

BadLSX
October 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
i'm all updated now, so i'll give it a try tomorrow after work. hopefully i can get back into the PCM. i don't have any idea where the odd VIN number came from, but i feel that it's the problem. i've flashed the calibrations dozens of times & never had something like this occur. the last 4 digits of my VIN are 4179 & the last 4 on the flash i loaded are 5489. i don't even know where those numbers came from. i cant read the PCM but i can open my scantool & it works, but the tune tool doesnt

Tordne
October 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
The VIN error may have come about from a prior fault in an older version of the EFILive software, and only been discovered now you have read the file out again (the VIN isn't updated on a flash). If you want to change the VIN you can do that in the Scan Tool by connected to the ECM and going to the 'Bidirectional->Change VIN' menu option.

Hopefully having all the software and firmware versions aligned now will resolve your other issues. The software and firmware are codependent so (as per those links above) it is important to update both the V7, V8 and firmware versions together (when available).

BadLSX
October 29th, 2010, 06:07 AM
when i had trouble flashing a calibration the other night, i did a complete reflash. i think the trouble i had with the calibration only not wanting to work had to do with the VIN being different. is that possible? when i did the complete reflash, everything seemed just fine. i'm going to be leaving my house in about an hour to go see if i can get this thing to do something. wish me luck

joecar
October 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Did you set your correct VIN using the scantool...?

BadLSX
October 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
ok, i got back into the PCM. i set the correct VIN using the scantool & that got me no results. i remembered reading somewhere about a seed number. well when i was attempting to do a calibration flash, i saw a seed numer, so i wrote it down. i then tried reading the calibration & for some reason my mind told me to enter the seed number in the box that says KEYS & presto, i was in. so i'm assuming that somehow my PCM locked itself, am i right? how do i go about unlocking it so i don't have to enter this number any more? i've never even messed with the lock or whatever just for this reason. can anybody tell me how this happened without me knowing? i would like to know just so i can avoid this problem again.

Tordne
October 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
For ECM locking/unlocking go into the Tune tool and then to the 'Flash->PCM Security' menu option. You'll have to check status first and can then unlock the controller with the key.