PDA

View Full Version : Stock LLY emission settings?

jauregui
October 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
SMOG is a Bitch!

I need help, I would like to know what the stock emission settings are for a 2005 LLY.

Thanks,

joecar
October 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hi jauregui welcome to the forum :cheers:

Did you save a copy of your original calibration file (that you read out from the ECM)...?

jauregui
October 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I did, I just don't know if those setting were tampered with befor I got the truck.

When I took the truck in the guy looked at it before he put the truck through. He told me that his computer is reading the EGR- not supported and the Catalytic- not supported. Is he wrong? Or what do I have to do? Would it help if I sent my stock to you?

bballer182
October 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/local_links.php?catid=8

jauregui
October 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks bballer182

so I checked several of tunes Engine diagnostics settings (DTC Test Enablers and DTC MIL Enablers), compared them to my tume and they look identical as far as I can tell. Man i don't get it.

bballer182
October 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I'd say it's a problem with their equipment. Do they know it's a diesel? Are you sure you actually have to get it smog tested? In OR we don't have to take diesels or anything with a GVWR of 8500# or more through DEQ.

killerbee
October 31st, 2010, 04:27 AM
That sounds strange. Where do you live?

I did, I just don't know if those setting were tampered with befor I got the truck.

When I took the truck in the guy looked at it before he put the truck through. He told me that his computer is reading the EGR- not supported and the Catalytic- not supported. Is he wrong? Or what do I have to do? Would it help if I sent my stock to you?

jauregui
November 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
From what I understand the smog tech has the ability to perform an OBDII readiness check I’m guessing a generic check he performs before he actually smogs the truck or car diesel or gas as a courtesy. What he did not understand was that EGR, and the Catalyst sections had a “not supported” he states that he should be reading “ready” or something like that. I asked him, if the fact that my truck is an out of state truck makes a difference? He did not know. So I looked at my stock tune under Engine Diagnostics, DTC Test Enablers, there is only three possible settings A: 1 Trip, Emissions Related, B: 2 Trip, Emissions Related, or C: NONE Emissions Related. I understand how he is seeing the EGR not supported because it is set to C. As for the Catalyst I don’t see anything for it on my tune I am guessing it’s a gas thing, well I hope. So all of this was driving me crazy until bballer182 sent me a link to diesel place and I went through almost all the LLY stock tunes and most all of those tunes were identical to my tune. Some did have the EGR settings to B: 2 Trip, Emissions Related, and I bet those are trucks come with the CA. emissions. I have not gone back to the smog shop, but when I do I’ll just have him run it see what happens.

joecar
November 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Do not tell him that you have the ability to edit those... if he asks, just tell him the dealer flashed it with an updated calibration.

joecar
November 2nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Where are you located (approximately)...?

joecar
November 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
In CA those are not read as "a courtesy" (if you follow what I'm saying)...

bballer182
November 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
As joe said always play dumb. If i am remembering correctly even with EFILive scan tool some of those readiness tests do not complete on my rig either. but then again i have an '06 which is a completely different animal. I am willing to bet that the readiness tests that he is attempting to perform on your truck are either not needed or not supported by the truck. If you have a stock tune and stock exhaust you should pass with flying colors.

jauregui
November 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joe,
I'm from the IE. I set my truck back to stock everthing. I'm looking to smog by the end of the week.

joecar
November 3rd, 2010, 05:09 AM
what does the smog test involve (emissions levels with vehicle driving roller, OBD2 scan, visual)...?

jauregui
November 3rd, 2010, 05:51 AM
OBD2 scan, visual check, and a snap test (checks for smock) the link has all the details.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/DieselWorkInf.html

joecar
November 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Oh, you're in CA.

jauregui
November 3rd, 2010, 06:34 AM
Yes, SoCal, Inland Empire.

joecar
November 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM
IE = Inland Empire -> ah I got it now :doh2:

DURAtotheMAX
November 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I always thought the diesels didnt do any of the "readiness" tests and "I/M's" like the gas engines???

bballer182
November 7th, 2010, 02:32 PM
you are probably right, i don't remember any if not all of them ever being preformed...

jauregui
November 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I finally had a chance to take my truck back to the smog shop, and she passed smog. Im so proud of her.

joecar
November 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I finally had a chance to take my truck back to the smog shop, and she passed smog. Im so proud of her.What did the smog shop do different...?

jauregui
November 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I asked him what would happen if the truck were to fail the test? He told me nothing bad would happen so I told him to just smog the truck, so he did and it passed. When he smoged the truck he had to run it under federal emissions standards, because my truck is an out of state truck it has no California emissions settings. The truck does have the hardware like EGR, CAT, PVC and so on. So what I think the difference between the two standards would be the computer settings.

bballer182
November 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
AFAIK there is no difference between the CA and FED in the LLY, LBZ, LMM, and LML, however, the LB7 is a different beast. It does have different hardware on it.