PDA

View Full Version : TCM tune and TCC apply look wierd

pavetim
November 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Was looking at my stock tcm tune in my efil live and am confused. It says in 5th gear the lock up speed is about 72-76 so if i'm cruising at 55-60 the conververter never locks up? And I looked at the tcm tune from a 6spd ally and the lockup speeds seem more realistic. I mean don't you want the converter to lock up? By what my tune shows it won't lock up, or am i missing something.

killerbee
November 28th, 2010, 02:16 AM
do you know how to recognize TC lockup when it happens?

Lockup is not desireable at low rpm, say under 1600-1800 rpm. It can also be an irritant in lower gears.

pavetim
November 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM
yeah you'll see the converter duty cycle go up. Mine goes up to 97.3% when i'm up to operating temp but what I was saying in normal drive mode it don't lock in till about 60mph in 5th gear. Now I noticed in tow/haul mode it lock in second gear and stays locked in on down shifts until first or low mph second. Don't you want the converter locked in for better mileage, heat reduction and tranny life? I was thinking of just pasting the tow/haul mode tables into the normal shift mode tables. That way in theory it will act like tow/haul mode but without the higher shift points.

killerbee
November 28th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Drive around for a week in TH only. That may change your feelings about the value of TC lockup below 4th gear. The comfort costs (imo) are a bad tradeoff, and also (imo) at low throttle settings, the items you mentioned don't really benefit.

Instead, what I have found to work well, is increasing lockup frequency at higher pedal positions, and leaving it unlocked at low settings. This refinement has worked so well, I have decided to market it.

Brian1
November 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Also the units the table is in as default is KMH usually. Saying 55 to 60 I am assuming you want US MPH. Change all tables to Imperial and see if it makes since.

pavetim
November 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I've been watching it the only time it locks is in fifth at around 60mph. I would think if it locks in second un t/h there must be a benefit. The only bad thing about t/h I don't like is the high shift points but that can be changed. What do you mean by comfort costs killerbee? Id be happy if I can get it to lock about 43 I do alot of 45mph driving.

bballer182
November 29th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Was looking at my stock tcm tune in my efil live and am confused. It says in 5th gear the lock up speed is about 72-76 so if i'm cruising at 55-60 the conververter never locks up? And I looked at the tcm tune from a 6spd ally and the lockup speeds seem more realistic. I mean don't you want the converter to lock up? By what my tune shows it won't lock up, or am i missing something.

do you know how to recognize TC lockup when it happens?

Lockup is not desireable at low rpm, say under 1600-1800 rpm. It can also be an irritant in lower gears.

Kep in mind that on a 6 speed and probably the 5 speeds as well that even when you change all your tables to US Imperial units any table dealing with speed is not going to be actual real speed, because in your speedo table the TCM is basing all of it's calculations on 4:10 gears (H0103) and the wrong vehicle speed ratio (H0137)

pavetim
November 29th, 2010, 03:58 AM
There is a speedo calc im gonna use cause I changed tires too and its a lil off

killerbee
December 5th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Was looking at my stock tcm tune in my efil live and am confused. It says in 5th gear the lock up speed is about 72-76 so if i'm cruising at 55-60 the conververter never locks up?

also, your tranny may not be warm. In cold weather it can take 30 minutes.

I looked at the stock tune. Lockup on a 5 speed is around 45 mph. Which is too low IMO.