PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reduced engine power, bootloader is rejected!!!!

andrewjamesbond1
December 5th, 2010, 03:35 AM
In dire need of assistance and help!!!

I tuned my buddies 2003 5.3l vortec chevy half ton. I put the AFR down to 12.9 (Natural Aspirated) and increase the throttle response. I was make a test run when the truck shut off, said REDUCED ENGINE POWER and coasted to a stop. I tried to restart it and it wouldn't. This time it said ENGINE OVERHEATED. This continued until the battery pretty much ran dead. I pulled it back to our house and let it sit, figuring it would cool off and everything would be fine. I come out this morning, hook up the jumper cables and turn the key. I get the REDUCED ENGINE POWER again, truck will not start or crank over...nothing. I hooked back up the EFI Live scanner and decided to reflash the truck back to stock, thinking that it would reset the codes. I hook it up, it starts unlocking the PCM, and then an error window pops up and says:

Bootloader rejected.
Reason:
One of the following conditions was set:
- Engine speed is not zero
- Vehicle speed is not zero
- A flash memory fault has been detected

(Only option was to select OK)

So by now I am very frustrated and am worried I made his truck a yard ornament by frying the ECM or something to that effect. I looked online, and found bits and pieces, but nothing that describe my situation. I found a couple of posts saying that resetting the ECM will clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and switching the headlights to the on position for 10 minutes to drain all power from the PCM. I tried that and no difference. Still REDUCED POWER and still rejects bootloader. I am in desperate need of assistance, so please respond as quickly as you can. Feel free to skip emailing and call me. Phone number is 937-302-0413.

Thanks!!!

Andrew

joecar
December 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Is the truck's battery all the way charged up?

Blacky
December 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
After the truck stops, or fails to start, can you check for trouble codes?

If you modify the throttle response too far from stock it can cause the PCM to think something has failed with the throttle system and it goes into a lock-down mode after a period of time (usually between 1 and 30 minutes after starting the engine). When it does that it cannot be reflashed.
If that is the case a specific trouble code will be set, something in the $6000 range. We can recover the PCM here at EFILive but that would require shipping it to Australia which may cost more than replacing the PCM. If you do need to replace the PCM EFILive will provide a free replacement VIN license for the replacement PCM.

FYI, this is the warning that is displayed with the throttle tables in the EFILive software:

WARNING: Alter ETC calibrations at your own risk.
Modifying ETC calibrations too far from stock values can cause the PCM to log a TAC communications fault code and enter reduced power mode.
Extreme modifications may cause the PCM to become permanently disabled.

Regards
Paul

m58mw
March 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
blacky could you look at this calibration please, would this be the reason 3 pcms have failed after the car was tuned in england?

GMPX
March 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM
To determine if it's the tune we would need to be able to compare it to the stock one.
When you say 'PCM failed' what is happening?

m58mw
March 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I don't have the original tune I paid somebody to tune the car after a 97-2002 pcm change
the symptoms are absolutely the same as andrews above however I have had 3 pcms die this way check my other thread
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?15208-stupid-question-please-help!&p=140961#post140961

bstuder11
April 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Omg I have been having the WORST TIME EVER with pcms lately and I have been purchasing a new $100 license every time thinking that was crazy and their should be a way if im working on the same vehicle I should be able to get replacement licenses if its the same vin/vehicle. How can I get a replacement license when the new pcm comes in?!!!!!!!! Thanks, Bryan

GMPX
April 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
The only way you can get a replacement license is proof of purchase of another PCM and a trace file of the failed flash session.
But Bryan, where have you been? Your first post and you've been having all sorts of trouble and never said anything.

bstuder11
April 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Ok, I have proof of the purchase of the pcm; not a problem. How do I go about using that for a replacement VIN license? The reasons I have just now posted this is because I have NEVER posted anything on the internet before, I recently decided to purchase my own efi live instead of always waiting on my friend to bring his over which is one reasons for a new license, and then I found out after I installed this new pcm they had incorrecly flashed the computer for the wrong motor/tranny combo wich used my last license to hook up my efi live. After I send off for another new one, Imma need to get a replacemnt license or imma have to buy ANOTHER license for the same truck ;(. Thanks, Bryan

joecar
April 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

A license attaches itself to the PCM serial number; so if you replace the PCM you need a new license.

Explain what happened, I notified Tech Support.

bstuder11
April 13th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Well I'm not EXACTALLY sure what happened yet, we are thinking cardone flashed it wrong ( because it was saying it had a 4l60 instead of my 4l65) or they gave me the wrong PCM part number all together. My contact at the parts store just called and said he is getting me two new ones (one of each part number) and well see which one works. Evedently even with the Vin not even hummer can tell us which one I need for sure. The only problem is I am out of licenses for efi live and I just spent $800 on the efi system two weeks ago so I don't have the money to buy more