PDA

View Full Version : do you need license to read ecm?

pavetim
December 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I was trying to.read my buds 675hp vette ecm last night and it started to go but then popped up.with an error about security. Anybody know what this.is do I need a license to read an ecm or just write to it? It is an 01 and I was using bbr

THEFERMANATOR
December 7th, 2010, 05:08 AM
A license is not required to read an ECM, most likely his ECM is locked by his tuner.

ScarabEpic22
December 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Yep, EFILive doesnt charge for anything except the first flash of an unlicensed (to your FlashScan/AutoCal) PCM/ECM/TCM. No COS charges, changing the VIN (dont need a license to do this), OS upgrade, segment swap, etc.

If you got a security error, it was probably flashed with an HPT COS or the tuner changed the seed/key. Try with V7.5, it might give you more error information.

pavetim
December 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
So if it was hot there's no way for me to save his current tune?

ScarabEpic22
December 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM
So if it was hot there's no way for me to save his current tune?

What do you mean by "hot"? If the ECM/PCM is locked, you either need to know the seed/key from the tuner so you can unlock it, but if it a HPT COS you cant read it with EFILive because HPT locks them by default.

pavetim
December 7th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I meant hpt not hot damn spell correction. Gonna use 7.5 tonight to see what's up with it

ScarabEpic22
December 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I meant hpt not hot damn spell correction. Gonna use 7.5 tonight to see what's up with it

Duh! Hate that, its horrible on term papers and important docs with weird spelling...

When you use V7.5, also try scanning the PCM info using the tune tool. It will give you the OS, from there we can figure out if its a HPT COS.